Google Play Services drain bug

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Google Play services drain is a very well known Lollipop Bug, not Samsung or other brand exclusive, basically all devices with Lollipop are suffering from this right now, OnePlus One finally released 5.0.2 (CM12) and in 2 days there are hundreds of complaints about it, so many that Cyanogen has expressed today that they are working on a fix and expect to have it ready by next week. The same with most Nexus and Motorola devices that have Lollipop for months now. My OnePlus One has been working great for me for the past 3 months, I have him as the second one in the list of best battery life devices behind of the Sony Xperia Z3, so I finally decided to sell it today to one of my co-workers after updating to Lollipop yesterday, and guess what, in 2 hours without too much use, the OnePlus One had drained about 25%, when before I could have it unplugged at 5:30am and at 3:00pm I still had 75% and by the time I was going to sleep it was still at 50-60%.

What I've done in my devices that had shown this is to Force Stop Google Services framework and immediately Force Stop Google Play Services, this has stopped the drain and put the devices to deep sleep while not in use, the problem is that if you reboot your phone or any updates come related to Google apps it turns the drain back on, so you need to do the Force Stops again.

So for those of you (mine is working great) that can see Google Play services at the top or with very high on the Battery stats, try the above with the S6 and see if it also works, post results please.

Last edited:

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I know its tough to track down the gremlins in the machine, but Google needs to get this fixed and make it a required update by all OEM's. No one should be stuck with this issue regardless of the OEM or Carrier BS.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
You make a sweeping statement about all devices are suffering from with Google play draining the battery.

This is simply not true.

I can get 2-4 days out of my Note4 on Lollipop depending on where I am and what I am doing. And I have not done a factory reset post update either.

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Thankfully Google Play Services is updated via the Play store and not a firmware update. If it wasn't we'd be lucky to get anything before the end of the year; AT&T and Verizon still haven't released the update that Sprint and T-Mobile got on day one.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
You make a sweeping statement about all devices are suffering from with Google play draining the battery.

This is simply not true.

I can get 2-4 days out of my Note4 on Lollipop depending on where I am and what I am doing. And I have not done a factory reset post update either.

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.

I think it was obvious that what I meant was that all devices models with Lollipop are suffering from this not all individual devices, hence I said If your S6 had the issue try this cause mine doesn't, so I think it's clear that I acknowledge that.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I know its tough to track down the gremlins in the machine, but Google needs to get this fixed and make it a required update by all OEM's. No one should be stuck with this issue regardless of the OEM or Carrier BS.

I agree. Gremlins pop up when things are fixed on one side and it breaks something elsewhere.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Haven't had the time that I normally do to spend with a new device. Where exactly do I go to change the Google Play Services?

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
This helps a lot on almost every Android Phone.

If you don't use these of types of services, I recommend you to do this.

If you are curious to know what it does check it out.

I really don't know how anyone could use any of these services.

There is never an app which needs an urgent update, or urgent data that you need to know from Google play, or data Google needs to know.

So far I have seen no issues with having everything off.

I only sync my calendar, emails, google keep, contacts automatically, because these are the most important to me.

Gunny94

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I really don't know how anyone could use any of these services.

There is never an app which needs an urgent update, or urgent data that you need to know from Google play, or data Google needs to know.

So far I have seen no issues with having everything off.

I only sync my calendar, emails, google keep, contacts automatically, because these are the most important to me.

Really depends, there's apps which controls stuff like servers and other things you use at work and you need to have the latest update to use it.

Think like drones controls and things like that.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I was asked in another thread about what is prohibited by doing this, so just to let you know, nothing, this just stops the service and it will start again automatically, but doing that seems to stop that service from Keep Awake the device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali