Google Play shows my device twice. Why?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That's where I found my missing Watch 6 companion apps, installed into my secure folder.

I didn't realize you could install apps to secure folder without being in the Play Store within the secure folder.

From my Note20U, I figured out which of the two listed SM-S908U1 (s22U) devices was the secure folder & renamed it. No confusion now... (Well, at least for that.)
🥹
Yeah wondering if it's dual sim or secure folder causing this so many variables for that stuff

Reactions: BerryBubbles

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Update: You need to update your Google account and update your security,

Manage account -> Security -> Your devices -> Manage all devices

From here you can log out of any devices you are no longer using or own.

It revokes any tokens on those devices and they can't be used as 2FA on your account.
Good point also

noscere

Oct 16, 2023
Visit site
Do you use secure folder?

Have you tried resetting play store by clearing it's data and force stop it see if it still same?
I think so....

But this might help I've never seen it before. I got two notifications from play store, and when I opened the task switcher, the icons where different!

one has the play store icon.​

Screenshot_20231021_200527_One UI Home.png

The other play store had this icon!!!​

20231021_200550.png

Logged into same google account. One icon has the play store icon, the other has a small blue folder overlaying it.

And even the number of notifications in the blue circle over the bell icon, on each task window is different. I hadnt read any of them, just opened the store from the pull-down notifications list, dismissed the blue bubble telling me about where I can find some new setting/it's moved elsewhere. Then opened the next notification. No reading of any of those blue-bell-notices.

There are four unread in normal playstore and just one notification in the playstore with blue-folder icon.

Last edited:

Village_Idiot

Oct 9, 2023
Visit site
I think so....

But this might help I've never seen it before. I got two notifications from play store, and when I opened the task switcher, the icons where different!

View attachment 356892

View attachment 356893

Logged into same google account. One icon has the play store icon, the other has a small blue folder overlaying it.

And even the number of notifications in the blue circle over the bell icon, on each task window is different. I hadnt read any of them, just opened the store from the pull-down notifications list, dismissed the blue bubble telling me about where I can find some new setting/it's moved elsewhere. Then opened the next notification. No reading of any of those blue-bell-notices.

There are four unread in normal playstore and just one notification in the playstore with blue-folder icon.
The one with the blue folder icon indicates that it is in Secure Folder.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I think so....

View attachment 356892

View attachment 356893

Delete secure folder see if issue goes away

Reactions: BerryBubbles

melini

Dec 11, 2023
Visit site
Hi. I am faced with an incomprehensible problem. In Google Play Library/Devices, my phone appears twice. If uncheck or tick one device, the other is automatically checked/unchecked as well.

Could you explain why there are two identical devices, not one? This has never happened before. It starts appeared as I bought S22 ULTRA.

P.S. I use only one sim card.

Here is a screenshot of what it looks like. The interface is in Russian, but everything should be clear there. It can be seen that the Samsung SM-S908B is displayed twice.
View attachment 354577
Did u get to know why this is happening?? I'm having this same issue it shows This device and then the name of same device. Sometimes this gets resolved and then after a day or so it reappears

Jul 10, 2023
Visit site
Did u get to know why this is happening?? I'm having this same issue it shows this device and then the name of the same device. Sometimes, this gets resolved and then after a day or so it reappears
As far as I found out, the reason the phone is displayed twice is that there are Secure Folder.
This has already been written about several posts above.
But I found this out on my own in the following way: to make it easier to remember, I renamed one of the devices, then remotely installed one application on one device, and another application on the renamed device. As a result, one application is installed to Secure Folder, the second to the phone.

I just don’t understand why the fact that Secure Folder creates a second device in Google Play is so little known. In the beginning, I even wrote to Google support, and they didn’t answer this question. Either the appearance of a second device does not always happen, or very few people use the protected folder.

melini

Dec 11, 2023
Visit site
As far as I found out, the reason the phone is displayed twice is that there are Secure Folder.
This has already been written about several posts above.
But I found this out on my own in the following way: to make it easier to remember, I renamed one of the devices, then remotely installed one application on one device, and another application on the renamed device. As a result, one application is installed to Secure Folder, the second to the phone.

I just don’t understand why the fact that Secure Folder creates a second device in Google Play is so little known. In the beginning, I even wrote to Google support, and they didn’t answer this question. Either the appearance of a second device does not always happen, or very few people use the protected folder.
Umm sorry but what does a secure folder mean?? I'm sorry I'm not much familiar with technology n stuff
Is it something to worry about??

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Umm sorry but what does a secure folder mean?? I'm sorry I'm not much familiar with technology n stuff
Is it something to worry about??
Nothing to worry about.

It's a protected secured folder that you can store private things in that gives you an additional layer of privacy.

Example, you could keep your banking, medical & credit card apps in that folder.

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
That is pretty weird, and I'm guessing it's a glitch. I doubt it will have any significant impact on your account or usage, but if it bothers you enough, you could try signing out of your Google account on one of those listings (in the Manage My Devices menu of your Google account). It sounds like this will sign out of both instances, since the two listings seem linked, so you'll have to sign back into your Google account on the phone. To ensure you don't lose any data, make sure everything is backed up beforehand.
I also was experiencing this same issue which followed a couple of factory resets.

It annoyed me rather than worried me but after following your sage advice....sorted!

Thanks!

Daschmee12

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
I have this issue too on my S21 Ultra. The duplicate device issue started about 6 months ago for me, and I have never factory reset my device. However, racking my brain on this one, I'm wondering, do you use secure folder on your Galaxy device? And if so, do you have the Google app or Play Store installed within the secure folder? Again this is just an educated guess/speculation, but perhaps it is creating a duplicate device entry on your Google account because the secure folder uses a completely separate/secure partition on your device, which is why it allows you to install a second instance of A lot of apps within secure folder, that you already have installed on your phone, outside of the separate secure folder partition. I literally just thought of this, and I'm about to test removal of all the Google apps from within my secure folder to see if that makes a difference over the coming weeks (ie; If this causes the duplicate device to finally disappear). I know for sure I have the Google app installed inside secure folder along with the Play Store(I don't think you can remove Play Store as this is how you get apps installed and secure folder.. either that way or through the Galaxy Store which I doubt many people use other than for Samsung apps only. So, I'm going to remove these separate instances of All the Google apps from secure folder and see if it does the trick. If this works I will Post another update.

Daschmee12

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
I have this issue too on my S21 Ultra. The duplicate device issue started about 6 months ago for me, and I have never factory reset my device. However, racking my brain on this one, I'm wondering, do you use secure folder on your Galaxy device? And if so, do you have the Google app or Play Store installed within the secure folder? Again this is just an educated guess/speculation, but perhaps it is creating a duplicate device entry on your Google account because the secure folder uses a completely separate/secure partition on your device, which is why it allows you to install a second instance of A lot of apps within secure folder, that you already have installed on your phone, outside of the separate secure folder partition. I literally just thought of this, and I'm about to test removal of all the Google apps from within my secure folder to see if that makes a difference over the coming weeks (ie; If this causes the duplicate device to finally disappear). I know for sure I have the Google app installed inside secure folder along with the Play Store(I don't think you can remove Play Store as this is how you get apps installed and secure folder.. either that way or through the Galaxy Store which I doubt many people use other than for Samsung apps only. So, I'm going to remove these separate instances of All the Google apps from secure folder and see if it does the trick. If this works I will Post another update.
OMG, it worked! I removed my Google account from secure folder and disabled or uninstalled every Google app I could find which in case you're worried does not affect any of your Google apps or account(s) outside of secure folder. This took me 10 minutes to do as you can see from the timestamp of my first post. Once it was complete, I force closed Play Store, the one outside of secure folder, and cleared cache. Once I reopened the play store, I no longer had a second instance of my S21 Ultra, it's gone!! And you don't even have to sign out of your Google account on all devices via Google's device management website like some others are posting here. Hope this helps someone.

Jan 21, 2024
Visit site
I am facing the same issue in my pixel. The device is showing twice only only in play store but also in find my device app. In find my device i can able to see same device twice but with two IMEI number. Any solution?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali