Google Search home screen bar - what's an invaluable tool!!!

CrazyRussian007

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
When I got my GN on 12/15 and saw Google Search homescreen bar the first thing I did is went into the settings and disabled Google Search and Voice Search - how dare is Google to put their crap on my homescreen!

Well, today I decided to give it another shot and - oh man, what an invaluable tool that is!!!

I'm keeping it on!!!!

That search bar makes things sooooo much easier: call Super Cut in North Miami - and, boom, phone is dialing, find Wind Dixie in North Miami - and, boom, Google Maps opens up with all Wind Dixie stores, send text, send email, .... The damn think can even type SMS and emails in Russian.

At first I thought it would be awkward to use it in public, but I started to hold my phone to my ear (like I"m on the phone) and give commands that way - perfect.

If you havent been using it - give it a try, a really good, fast, and very accurate. I just hope it would not add too much drain to the battery.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure there is no significant battery drain. I was the same way at first - wanted to get rid of the bar, but when I eventually kept it on I realized how useful it was.

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
When I got my GN on 12/15 and saw Google Search homescreen bar the first thing I did is went into the settings and disabled Google Search and Voice Search - how dare is Google to put their crap on my homescreen!

Well, today I decided to give it another shot and - oh man, what an invaluable tool that is!!!

I'm keeping it on!!!!

That search bar makes things sooooo much easier: call Super Cut in North Miami - and, boom, phone is dialing, find Wind Dixie in North Miami - and, boom, Google Maps opens up with all Wind Dixie stores, send text, send email, .... The damn think can even type SMS and emails in Russian.

At first I thought it would be awkward to use it in public, but I started to hold my phone to my ear (like I"m on the phone) and give commands that way - perfect.

If you havent been using it - give it a try, a really good, fast, and very accurate. I just hope it would not add too much drain to the battery.

[removed by moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
It is extremely useful. At work today someone was buying a Cubs jersey, and wanted to see if the player was still on the team since it was clearance. Whip out the phone and two seconds later I had my answer.

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I never understood why it is so controversial. It is replacing the capacitive search button. And I agree, it is totally use full. At least it doesn't say "Verizon".

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Reactions: CrazyRussian007

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I never understood why it is so controversial. It is replacing the capacitive search button. And I agree, it is totally use full. At least it doesn't say "Verizon".

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Its controversial because its persistent and you can't get rid of it. People would be fine with it if you could get rid of it like any other widget.

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
A lot of people have shared his opinion on this subject. Busting his chops after he posted a very helpful opinion isn't fair.

Sent from one of the following: Galaxy Nexus, Bionic or Xoom using Tapatalk.

Sorry guys, Im just not good at typing what i am trying to say. Was actually trying to thank him for the voice commands since i didn't know the direct ones he mentioned before hand. The second part was just an opinion, nothing more.

Coleus

Banned
Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
send text
I was under the impression if I said "send text to CrazyRussian" and CrazyRussian was in my contacts list it would pull up a text screen with CrazyRussian's phone number in the "to" field. However, what it does is pull up a text screen with the words "to CrazyRussian" in the message field.

Is that how it works for you?

sccpmusc26

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
A soft search button is even handier than that... Voice search from anywhere, and an extra row of apps on the home screen...

Couldn't agree with you more. Rooting (like I do on all my Android devices), was the best thing for this phone. No VZW "bloatware", search key restored, removed the persistent google search bar, better battery, already on 4.0.3....

I think the search bar is simply Google propaganda. At first I was a little outraged it couldn't be removed. With restoring a search soft key, and removing the persistent search bar, I now have all that beautiful screen real estate to play with!

Reactions: moosc

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
my guess is that Google wants to keep their search box there prominently on your home screen for two reasons -

1. a subtle soft "branding" for you and all to constantly see.
2. to make sure that when you think of and use search on your phone - you think of and use Google. and also to constantly remind you that Google search can solve all of your daily questions and thus drive more revenue into their pockets in so many ways. when you think of where Google makes its money - search - it makes business sense. even if they lose money on Android (which they don't) - they make it up on the search driven by mobile devices. and think of the exponential growth of activation and you will soon have how many people walking around unavoidable looking at a giant Google search box on their phone's home screen several hours of every day. that's powerful. add Google Wallet and mobile commerce and it's huge.

as a consumer i may not like it - but i can understand why they did it.

thank God for Nova Launcher!

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I work in Miami, too... kinda funny 'cause my boss got a 4S and wanted to show me Siri... well, she has a cubanita accent and it didn't like it very much. I asked her to do the same commands on my phone (thunderbolt at the time) and they work flawlessly. The voice recognition Google uses >>>> Siri.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Its controversial because its persistent and you can't get rid of it. People would be fine with it if you could get rid of it like any other widget.

Install the Nova launcher and you have complete control over it. I only have it on my main home screen UNDER the Fancy Widgets clock where it belongs. The clock should always be on the top in my opinion.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
there is no question it is useful. i have used it literally everyday since my Dinc. the problem is it kills to much real estate and can only be used from home screens. totally stupid. it was 10 times more functional as a soft button below the screen. it frees up 4 app spots if removed....4! 5 if on different launcher. it needs to be added to the new soft buttons. change the 3 buttons to 4 and put a big done stamp on it!!!!!!!

Local_Hero

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I had an iPhone 4S for a week. The only thing I found Siri could do for me was "Wake me up in 30 minutes" and it set an alarm.

Imagine my amazement when my Galaxy Nexus can do the same thing. A great phone just got better. Now Google needs to advertise it some more. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
delgerjargal