GPS Accuracy issues

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
You may be able to sell on ebay and not take such a hit.

No, this was a really good deal that T-Mo offered. Amounted to only about $6 month ($149 total) as long as I kept the watch line (another $10 per month) open. I really am disappointed because I definitely need something with LTE connectivity but at this point, I'd be paying $16 per month and still wearing two watches! Something will come up, hopefully sooner than later. I truly am discovering through all of this research that there is such a HUGE disconnect between the serious running/cycling watches and the smartwatch side. The Garmins that have LTE connectivity are really just emergency beacons that you can set off to alert the global emergency call center that you need serious help, but no real connections to contact anyone directly.

Thanks for your help and input. I truly appreciate your thoughts!

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
You may be able to sell on ebay and not take such a hit.

Well, I actually DID get some good news tonight. When I returned the watch to the store, the manager told me that while I did have to pay the $40 restock fee, the $35 activation fee does get returned to me! So, I'm only out $40. Not perfect, but a lot better. Now, hoping the Pixel watch is a ton better in a few weeks.

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Well, I actually DID get some good news tonight. When I returned the watch to the store, the manager told me that while I did have to pay the $40 restock fee, the $35 activation fee does get returned to me! So, I'm only out $40. Not perfect, but a lot better. Now, hoping the Pixel watch is a ton better in a few weeks.

I wouldn't get too excited over the Pixel Watch. It's not going to be too impressive in terms of hardware (from what I've read).

I love the design, but no way that watch crystal doesn't end up getting scratched all to hell. If they would make it with the hardness level of sapphire as the GW5 Pro I would be more interested.

TimmyB

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't get too excited over the Pixel Watch. It's not going to be too impressive in terms of hardware (from what I've read).

I love the design, but no way that watch crystal doesn't end up getting scratched all to hell. If they would make it with the hardness level of sapphire as the GW5 Pro I would be more interested.

I'm hoping all the rumors are off base just to make the actual thing more impressive when it actually drops. I can't see Google dropping the ball THAT badly. But, I can't imagine Apple and Samsung sucking at running watches so badly, either.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks!

I went out for a 1.75 mile walk yesterday. When I got done, I remeasured the walk using both the route-creator in Map My Run and the measure distance tool in Google Maps. Both of them verified that it was indeed exactly 1.75 miles. Just like you, LTE-watch only (no phone). I had the route sent to Strava automatically as a connected app. Strangely, Strava said that the route was 1.78 miles. I am aware that these companies manipulate and interpret data in their own way, so I truly don't know what the issue is that causes this but I'm confident that the watch did a reasonable job. I've also run this route dozens of times with my other running watch so I pretty much knew what to expect.

When you start your route, are you letting it get a GPS fix before beginning?

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to try out Strava and see how far it says I'm running.

My guess is that when the update alluded to by @bkeaver arrives, it'll magically fix a fair number of issues. I just checked a minute ago and do not have an update so far.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately the smartwatches most likely just wont be as strong as a dedicated Sport tracker like Garmin.

IMO they will be more of an all around communication device. Is the Apple watch good at the things you want? Just curious, it would be a no go for me (not getting an iPhone), but if it is important maybe that is a direction to go?

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Right but the accuracy is bad compared to all of the previous Galaxy Watches. So it looks like this is something specific to the Watch5 (hopefully just a software issue).

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I got AVH6 just this afternoon. I've also done a factory reset + data restoration for good measure. I'll let you guys know if my run tomorrow is properly recorded/measured by GPS.

arunma

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Well...GPS issue persists. My six mile run is still coming in at 6.6 miles, and the route is a fair bit off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anarachnid