GPS for Google Maps offline?

anon(20593)

May 6, 2010
Visit site
The whole deal with Google Maps offline was the ability to pre-download/cache an area's maps and then be able to use it even one didn't have internet or mobile network/connectivity later on in that place. I get that. So, Directions Everywhere ? On Android ? Hello World ? Google Maps says that "If you have GPS on the device, the blue dot will show your location so you?ll know where you are."

My question is, will GPS on my VZW Galaxy Nexus work even when I don't have mobile network connectivity? i.e. can I realistically download/cache London, UK's map offline while I am here in the US and on the VZW network, fly across the puddle, switch on my phone, put it on "no data when roaming" mode and use Google Maps??

The reason I ask is that when I'm not connected to a wifi or the VZW network here in the US, GPS does not connect. I keep getting the "unable to determine location" message.

What is the trick?

PostmanPat

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to the UK in Nov and want to know exactly the same thing, hopefully someone with direct experience can enlighten us?
I do know the routing/navigation function doesn't work without data but just having an offline version of the map and then knowing where you are on the map is a huge benefit.

rustycaterpillar

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
My understanding is yes. In theory even the routing will work. But you can try it out first. Download a map for where you are right now. Turn off your mobile network connection, turn on the GPS and have at it.

The GPS will or at least it should work independently of the network connection. As long as you have the map resident on your device you are good.

I use a marine charting app on my droid that will work when I am miles off shore and out cell range. BUT that app has the chart info I need resident on my phone.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I have never flown oversees, especially with my mobile phone, however what you are asking is correct, you should be able to cache whatever maps you will require for offline use, and then GPS WILL work without a mobile data connection. Gps in a mobile phone does not rely on your mobile network at all to gain a lock on you, that's all the satellites' doing. Having wifi and mobile data on, however does help to improve the speed and accuracy of a gps lock, but it is definitely not required.

kdfdawg

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
i was in mexico - playa del carmen to be exact, back in july. i used this feature when i rented a car for the day. it most definitely worked and worked like a charm for me. when i was in the car, i was able to see exactly where i was using the cached maps and the gps signal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
delgerjargal