Great screen comparison for those thinking of getting S3 or Evo

klamer

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Re: Great screen comparison for those thinking of getting S3 or E

I thought the LTE had Super-LCD 2 screens...is that the same as HD IPS that's shown in the video?

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site

IPS is a form of LCD technology, and it's HD because it's 720p. SuperLCD2 is just a shiny name given to the technology to make it easily recognizable by consumers. You could call it a lot of different things. You could say "HD4.7LCD" if you wanted and it would technically be right :p

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site

That was very interesting...and if true then quite amazing. I used a had an Epic 4G for the last two years and I always thought the screen was gorgeous, and the "pentile" never really bothered me because the colors and black levels were fantastic...but this video makes it seem like the difference in detail and clarity is night and day. Using my Evo, I don't feel like it's that significant of a jump...but if so then...neat?!

EVO28312

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

Good vid but the s3 screen is better than the nexus.

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site

No its actually not. Unless you mean its slightly larger? They both are using the exact same tech.(HD Super AMOLED, PenTile matrix)

The technology is the same, but all the reviews have said that the color balance is better and the screen is slightly better overall. I don't know how big of a difference it makes, but a lot of people marked it as an improvement.

vastmandana

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site

It is not superamoled...
I have an EVO lte and while the screen is great, your comparison is totally bogus... S3 is Hella better than the nexus... frackin idiot...read a review before spouting garbage...

curiousmileo

May 10, 2012
Visit site

It is not superamoled...
I have an EVO lte and while the screen is great, your comparison is totally bogus... S3 is Hella better than the nexus... frackin idiot...read a review before spouting garbage...

how is the s3 screen better than the lte? the pixels per inch is worse and the technology is worse

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site

He just said it's better than the nexus, not the evo. I assume his statement about it being bogus just refers to the drastic differences shown in that video. To be fair, while I would love to think that the phone I chose has the most perfect screen in the world, I don't think the quality is as remarkably better as the video makes it seem. I'm certainly not complaining though. I hope both screens are beautiful. Better technology on both ends means better phones for us to choose from!

LegacyEvoAce

May 29, 2012
Visit site

It is not superamoled...

Hella better than nexus? LOL Maybe just MAYBE you should actually read a review or two the screen being slightly brighter which is the only difference between the two does not make it better sorry to burst your little sammy sung bubble. That was a simple calibration change the tech is the exact same no difference none what so ever. Its still a crappy amoled that shows blue instead of white and colors that are not actually supposed to be showing and looks pixelated. In otherwords its a piece of caca(crap).

The rest of the phone however is great.

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

Yup, according to this Engadget post, the S3 and GN have the same exact pentile display.

galaxy-s-iii-microscope-nexus.jpg

linzgeneral

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site

That was very interesting...and if true then quite amazing. I used a had an Epic 4G for the last two years and I always thought the screen was gorgeous, and the "pentile" never really bothered me because the colors and black levels were fantastic...but this video makes it seem like the difference in detail and clarity is night and day. Using my Evo, I don't feel like it's that significant of a jump...but if so then...neat?!

I used to have a Galaxy Note which had a gorgeous screen, similar to the S3 and Nexus. I saw a little pixelation but the HD screen and high contrast more than made up for it. I sold it and missed it so much that I re-bought another one yesterday. Last night I was about to use my Note to read my school pdfs when I noticed the wifi was knocked out due to severe thunderstorming. I thought to myself "ah sh_t, got to use my EVO LTE since it has a 3g signal and I can get online, at least until the wifi comes back". I went on to use the EVO and was impressed how the text actually resembled E-ink ; sharp, clear, and dark. After twenty minutes, I got the wifi back and switched over to the Note in relief. To my surprise the text looked significantly less clear, pixilated, and the most surprising - not as dark as the EVO.

I tried looking at different things such as emails, text messages, websites, but the results were all the same. The Note's seemingly brilliant screen just was not nearly as good as the EVO. I was shocked at how bad the Note's screen was exposed. I went immediately to Amazon and put my Note up for sale. This ended all debate, personally of if I should get the S3. On another note (no pun intended), I always marveled over the thinness of the Note. Well after a few weeks with the EVO, it now feels like a brick, literally. The combination of being much thicker combined with an inferior screen made my decision that much easier. I doubted the EVO before, but this head to head trumping of what I considered the best phone available left me impressed.

dskwerl

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

I used to have a Galaxy Note which had a gorgeous screen, similar to the S3 and Nexus. I saw a little pixelation but the HD screen and high contrast more than made up for it. I sold it and missed it so much that I re-bought another one yesterday. Last night I was about to use my Note to read my school pdfs when I noticed the wifi was knocked out due to severe thunderstorming. I thought to myself "ah sh_t, got to use my EVO LTE since it has a 3g signal and I can get online, at least until the wifi comes back". I went on to use the EVO and was impressed how the text actually resembled E-ink ; sharp, clear, and dark. After twenty minutes, I got the wifi back and switched over to the Note in relief. To my surprise the text looked significantly less clear, pixilated, and the most surprising - not as dark as the EVO.

I tried looking at different things such as emails, text messages, websites, but the results were all the same. The Note's seemingly brilliant screen just was not nearly as good as the EVO. I was shocked at how bad the Note's screen was exposed. I went immediately to Amazon and put my Note up for sale. This ended all debate, personally of if I should get the S3. On another note (no pun intended), I always marveled over the thinness of the Note. Well after a few weeks with the EVO, it now feels like a brick, literally. The combination of being much thicker combined with an inferior screen made my decision that much easier. I doubted the EVO before, but this head to head trumping of what I considered the best phone available left me impressed.

My girlfriend has the Galaxy Note, and she loves it. But the minute she saw my EVO, she was jealous. She's mostly envious of the kickstand, though, because she bought a case for her Note with a kickstand and doesn't like the way it works.

kellyrx8

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

It is not superamoled...

might wanna rethink that theory sport....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Treyrday86