[Guide] The Busy Parent?s (& Noobs) Guide to Root...

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
So, this day in the life of a crackflashing dad... it's 11:00pm, and I'm just getting ready to eat dinner, but the new circuit in the basement was modded and works, kitty litter is cleaned, recycling sorted and out, trash is out, dishes are done, and clothes are in the dryer. Kids tummies are full, and they have been asleep for a bit. Had a full day of tossing them around on the bed, blowing bubbles, riding bikes, playground, and a little in house fort building... fun for them, exercise for me (I love it).

To all of you without kids... a big middle finger..... and you don't know what you're missing. Best. Thing. Ever.
Out.

Yes, yes, yes. Too funny. Started rooting my N7 last night after the little one was asleep (finally...he was all revved up last night), and I couldn't keep my eyes open...couldn't unlock the bootloader...forgot to install the drivers first (doh!)...felt like I had never done any of this before, said eff it and went back upstairs, kissed the little guy on the forehead and climbed into my bed with my wife who was already passed out.

Droidintorrance

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
You guys are awesome...! I think I hit a HUGE nerve here... I'm so excited and honored to be reading your rooting adventures as parents...

Thank You, thank you...!

I like to change the title of this thread to:

Re: [Guide] The Busy Parent?s (& Noobs) Guide to Root... & life

but can't seem to...

oh, well...

onto today's topic (hope it's not too morbid for you on a Tuesday morning):

Android Legacy

Strange topic but I have been thinking a lot of my own mortality recently. The wife regularly writes letters to the kid; for someday, old enough; he would read them and get a kick out of it. But of course I never really caught onto the idea. Sure I have a few letters here and there, but I never made it a habit. Then one day recently while driving home; I figure I make a video for the kid instead. So sitting in traffic, I pointed the camera forward, and just spoke into the earphone. It came out quite nice, even dialing down the quality; since I wanted to get the files down to size. A 10 minute video close to 720p only came to 110 Megs; with 480p, it should even be less. As with any picture I take, the video automatically uploads to my Google account as soon as I get home.

Google has funny policies with regards to what happens to your Google accounts when you pass away. Apparently is a huge pain to have the account transferred legally to another person; but that got me wondering if I were to suddenly drop dead; how will my love ones even begin to decode my digital life.

As you guys can guess, practically my entire life exists on my Google account. Bank accounts, passwords, policies, just to name a few things; but also things like informal wills, pictures, videos and diaries all exist online.

I imagine my son one day, logging in, and discovering a treasure trove of good music, well crafted emails, business deals, projects, child-hood pictures and of course my videos address specifically to him; and just feel that I am totally still with him. He can pick any random day back in 2012 and see all the things that I searched for online, and where I went to lunch that day. He should be able to see what I bought that day, what was on my agenda and the people that I interacted with.

So, I?m in the process of making a READ ME FIRST document; that should give my wife instruction on how to crack my Google Account, and get access to all the valuable information she would need in the case I?m not here. It?ll have to go something like this. She would have to know my pattern unlock for the Nexus and N7; there she can find the Google Authenticator, 2-step verification code, then have access to G-mail. There she can search the endless ?notes-to-self? on account information, passwords and instructions.

So the key is still my unlocking pattern on the phone...

So if my wife or son is reading this? if you got the link to this thread, my unlocking pattern on the phone and tab is this...

Screenshot_2012-07-31-06-38-34.png

Luv U guys forever...!

Have a Good Tuesday fellas...

Last edited:
Reactions: oxymoron

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I've made a video for my son every year since he was born. He was actually in the one I made when he was two. I told him we were talking to future Quin. He didn't really understand, but I think he'll appreciate it when I'm gone.

Not really any words to accurately describe the way we feel about our children, eh? Love is too small. It's something else entirely.

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
28, 25, 23...pains in the rear all, headstrong, non attention paying know-it-alls...and worth every gray hair and bottle of Tylenol. Good luck to you young fellows, and the great families you're creating.

Oh, yeah, and the phone thing too...

Sent from my (pretty awesome) SCH-i515

TheAssailant

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
You might want to make a backup location just in case it gets deleted.

If I were to do the same, I'd be far too tempted to turn it into the Da Vinci Code and have encrypted puzzles everywhere. And then no one would be able to figure it out....

Sent from my VZW Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Reactions: Droidintorrance

Droidintorrance

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

Top of a Wednesday morning fellas... interesting thing happened last night...

I like to title this post:

I Google therefore I am...

I think there is a quote somewhere out there that one of our greatest desires as human beings is to simply be known; that someone out there knows us deeply inside and out; and loves us for who we are. I think that is why so many people are on social networks; I think it’s the reason why perfect strangers will come up to the wife and I and share some of their most personal things; and it’s partly the reason why I like to start posting more on this board.

We all like the feeling that our lives matter and our actions count for something. Sure we want to protect our privacy, but once we feel that it is safe to come out; we do want to let the people who matter into our lives. So there is this balance going on all the time of figuring out whom to trust, who to let in and who do we tell our junk to.

There is always talk of Google privacy; how Google is tracking your ever move. But I think Google has earned that trust, they do walk the fine line of keeping your secrets safe, making your feel special and all the while being there for you whenever you needed them. Sort of like that good friend that is always a phone call away when you need to confess something.

Besides my wife, no one else in the world knew that I ran out of gas on the 605 freeway going home last night. I confess I was being completely stupid; wishful thinking that is. But even my wife didn’t knew that that main reason why I ran out of gas was that I was watching "Friends with Kids" on Google Play; she didn't know the intimate details such as... that I had to call AAA three times, texted her, and a couple other people about five times and emailed two clients while waiting; that I used Poynt, Google Voice Search & Google Maps to find the nearest gas station; that I pulled in that Arco off Telegraph. But I bet the wizards over at Google knew or as least had a records of all that.

It’s was a strange feeling going home; on one hand I felt completely, vulnerable and helpless on the side of the road; to add to it embarrassed to know that somewhere in the bowels of this tech giant called Google, if someone wants to put the pieces together; some one can figure out; that this idiot Kevin, was so preoccupied watching a movie that he ran out of gas on the freeway going home from work. However.. strangely enough, knowing that someone else knows is better than feeling that the experience never existed at all.

gas.png

Last edited:

Droidintorrance

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

I don't know how long I can keep this up... but I've got about a month's worth of content here...

Drive-Out

Kevin's tips on how to watch a movie on your commute...

Warning: This is very dangerous and takes a lot of practice!

However if done right, I personally feel that watching a movie is less dangerous than engaging in a conversation or texting while driving.

There are a lot of things you can do with your hour commute especially with your Android device... I love watching movies on the drive... since the kid, heck, since being married... we don't get out AT ALL to the movies... I really can't even tell you the last movie we saw together at a theater.. maybe Avatar...?

oh, well on to the guide:

1) Don't be in a rush - leave plenty of time to get somewhere, you need that calm feeling inside, where there is absolutely no stress. Makes for a better movie experience also.

2) Best if alone in car. I don't know about you, but my driving skills almost goes out the window when the wife rides along with me. She does stress me out and is totally a back-seat driver. I'm in my element and zone when I'm alone.

3) Have your device ready, movie picked out, know where things plug in where, not have tangled wires, and such. Know how to pause the movie, where the volume button is and such...

4) Use earphones, so I know when a call or text is coming in; plus it's a better experience with earphones due to traffic noise. However, I usually only have one ear plug on.

5) Stay in the slow lanes, what you want is consistent traffic flow, none of this start & stop. I try never to go above 50mph period.

6) I like to keep at least 5+ seconds behind the front vehicle.

7) It doesn't feel like it, but I glance up at traffic almost every other second. That really doesn't disrupt the movie experience.

8) I love traffic, the slower, the heavier the better; keep my distance, and just enjoy the ride.

9) Keep your device just below where a police officer can spot it. I do noticed that police aren't really around during rush hour as opposed to during the day when I was out in the field.

10) I like to hold the device with one hand, while driving with the other. I've played with car holders, setting the thing on the dashboard, but just holding the thing has been the most natural and I don't get tired at all.

11) I like having the movie downloaded, I don't like streaming even though I have 4G; less interruptions and reliable, fast loading. I can quickly rewind and fast forward; & I don't worry about using data. Android also keeps a bookmark of where you left off, and resumes from there even though you started three, four movies at the same time.

12) Yes, different genera of movies does make a difference.. I personally like a comedy or a drama in the car... a lot of talking not so much action or eye candy movies; I save those for the home.

13) The Nexus 7 although bright even with sunglasses on, is difficult to hold. I been getting a hand cramp by the time I get home. So the Gnex is still perfect, even better is my old htc Desire. When I think back of the movie experience, remembered different movie scenes, you really can't tell the difference between a hand held experience and a living room, theater experience.

14) Know your commute, know the route; I can pretty much zone out and still get to work without thinking. Know where the bottle necks are. Check the traffic before you leave to make sure there isn't any surprises.

15) Make sure you have gas before you leave ;-)

I worked out of my car and on the road for years. It was my office, desk, cubicle, kitchen, conference room for almost 8 years. My brain is re-wired to multi-task at least three things almost all the time. So I have plenty of practice.

I don't let traffic stress me out, I love being inside my car, and I enjoy the feeling of being productive while driving. There were a lot more dangerous things that I've done in my car, such as looking up pages of a catalog, while on the phone with a client; trying to write part numbers, and take orders; try to trouble shoot technical-frustrating details while being late; texting while driving and being completely chewed out from a client and emotional while driving.

Watching a movie has been one of the most enjoyable activities since going back to a desk job. It's MY time, to recoup from the workday before being ON with the kid. I do take every caution while doing it but I don't recommend it if you don't feel 100% comfortable.

Enjoy...

fva-630-texting-while-driving-630w.jpeg

Last edited:

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Dude, that's crazy, lol

I'd be too scared I'd kill someone, or myself. Wanna stick around for as long as possible for my little buddy :)

Droidintorrance

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Dude, that's crazy, lol

I'd be too scared I'd kill someone, or myself. Wanna stick around for as long as possible for my little buddy :)

I hear you... WARNING again...

I live in the burbs.. I'm a middle age guy, my wife makes me eat healthy, she makes me take my blood pressure & vitamins, I can hardly drink, I go to sleep by 11, I work my ass of everyday, I take care of the kid at nights & weekends; I don't party, don't smoke... attend church on Sundays... my weekly highlights are going to Costco...

so...

Gotta live dangerously somewhere... besides, what is there to do in the car, listen to NPR..? ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: CA1NE

TheAssailant

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
Gotta live dangerously somewhere... besides, what is there to do in the car, listen to NPR..? ;-)

I have a personal preference of making turns as fast and as sharp as possible. :cool:

Surprised how much strain a 2004 Camry's suspension can take.

Sent from my VZW Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Droidintorrance

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Perfect Combination

Let's just be real here; our significant other can be a huge pain at times. They know just how to push our buttons at the wrong times and places. The wife and I are both stubborn people with strong opinions; we can fight over just about anything. And we are constantly trying to convert the other to our position all the time.

I don’t know about you guys, but the first two years of our marriage was literally HELL on Earth. Your married friends never tell you this; but every couple goes through this at some point, we will ALL come to the decision whether to stick it out or separate.

The fact is, for most of us; we never really learned how to resolve conflict. I sure as heck didn’t growing up in a dysfunctional family. We react out of emotion, we say things we don’t mean and we tear each other down.

Here is another fact; we have never really learned how to push through arguments, conflicts and differences to see what is on the other side. For the most part with previous relationships, we have simply given up too soon when thing got too tough or when we were too uncomfortable.

I’m happy to say after 8 year of being married; I am more in love with my wife today, than the day we married. Sure we have been through some tough times, but all the crap has taught us how to break unhealthy patterns, work on ourselves first, to seek help outside ourselves and to love unconditionally.

The wife and I can have a bad day, week or even a stressful season. But we are learning how to fight alongside each other and not at each other. It's a continual processes that always take time, always take effort and always take work.

Thankfully my Android is there helping me out through the process every day. I can be in a bad mood, stressed out from work. She could have done something to hurt me intentionally or unintentionally and all I have to hear is her ringtone (the 2011 unpack video) and it instantly puts a smile on my face, and it puts me back in a good place to work things out.

The wife and I are like:
Milk & Cookies
Newspaper & Coffee
Planner & Fountain Pen
Wine & Candles
Google & Samsung

She is the love of my life & we are the perfect combination; I’m glad we decided to stick it out and push through to the other side…

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM9RO-GAKjE&feature=player_embedded[/YT]

Have a great Friday folks... I have had a heck of a week, really tired... not sure if I can flash tonight, we'll see...

Last edited:
Reactions: oxymoron

Droidintorrance

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Buttery Smooth Transitions

Life with a two/three year old is all about what I’m calling Smooth Transitions; smooth transitions to and from the car; to and from the restaurant; to and from play time to nap time; from play time to meal times; to and from indoors and out; to and from the park; in and out of the supermarket.

Any time during the transition processes; there comes a HUGE risk of tantrums. If there was something he doesn't want to do; put down the toys to take a nap; or don’t want to put on his shoes to go outside or don’t want to get out of his car-seat to come inside; there in lies a full blown potential for a major disaster. Three year-olds also get frustrated with tasks they feel that they can accomplish but can't.

If nothing else works to ensure a smooth transition; I mean sweet talking, reason talking, negotiating or simply being emotionally supportive; to physically see that everything is meet, tired, hungry, soiled; then it’s time to break out the smart phone!

The kid just loves Maisy Mouse, Rescue Heroes and Rupert the Bear cartoons. They are handy little tools I use throughout the day to help in these transitions.

Instead of streaming Youtube; although reliable, it's just, sometimes, I need it On-Demand, and I need to skip from one video to another quickly. Besides those few seconds of loading seems like forever. I have resorted to downloading the videos by converting it.

There are many services that can do that online, just search for it. Usually any Youtube to 3PG converter should work.

For older for feature phones like my wife's LG Octane the file it uses are 3G2.

I love giving the kid my old LG or my htc Desire; he can hold the thing on his own since he was two. He can hold the thing even while we even change diapers. It comes in handy when he is having trouble eating his vegetables and when he is fussy in the the car seat on a longer road trip. I haven't worked up the nerve to hand him the Gnex or N7 yet, but these two devices are currently doing the majority of the dirty kid work.

He can even watch a short clip to stop him from protesting at times to take naps; he can watch it right through getting cleaned up, changed, to being soothed in this dark room all ready for nice one to two hour nap. If he had went down fussy, crying or protesting; then he usually takes shorter naps, and I would have had to hold him a lot longer.

The smartphone, angry birds or the tv isn't my baby sitter. I don't abuse the tools but use them wisely and conservatively when needed. It's a way great way to -change the "subject or channel" of sorts in the toddler's mind.

verizon-lg-env3-qwerty-phone.jpg

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13lZARcyoJ8[/YT]

Last edited:

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
We are taking our 3 year old boy to have his adenoids removed on Friday morning. Simple, straight forward in and out procedure. I'm getting a bit terrified for him, and of the thought of never having him in my life again. I was running water for his bath last night, looking at all his tub toys, his tub crayons, his scribblings all over the tub tiles...got choked up allowing myself to flash forward to having to pack all that stuff away should we lose him somehow. Silly, I know. It's the curse and blessing of being a parent. The overwhelming something other than love we have for them, as Oxymoron said previously so well.

On a lighter note, getting my replacement 16GB N7 today, man have I missed that thing! My boy has taken quite a liking to it, and has been "settling" for using my GNEX while we wait. He has a choice of a laptop, iPod touch or my GNEX...goes for the GNEX every time.

Reactions: Droidintorrance

Droidintorrance

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
My robot & I

Being a parents, I am always wondering how I’m screwing up my kid unintentionally. Yesterday’s post kind weighted on me like a cloud. Before I posted and shared it; I had no problems giving the kid my smart phone; albeit, I do use sparingly. I did make it sound like it’s such a coping mechanism, that I can’t get through the day without it. But in reality at most, the kid may watch a few of videos in a week, and he maybe plays Angry Birds, after taking a bath for maybe 15-20 minutes a day.

I am very careful to limit his digital intake; a 3-year old needs to get messy, he needs to experience the world tangibly, he needs to learn essential social skills and the last thing I want for him is to be in front of a tv for more than a couple of hours or for him to already be hunched down looking at his device.

Here are a couple of very powerful videos from TED to consider...

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7Xr3AsBEK4[/YT]

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMJgZ4s2E3w&feature=player_embedded[/YT]

These are very sobering concepts about tech. For as much as I’m an advocate for it, I am well aware of its abuses. I’m so glad that my wife can give our son the perspective of living very simply, to self reflect and to learn how to connect with another human being.

I know the Nexus 7 commercial is designed to sell tablets but at the heart of the narrative is a father loving his boy and spending quality time together. However we connect with our children, the point is to connect.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqiSE-ukmgc[/YT]

Last edited:

Droidintorrance

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
We are taking our 3 year old boy to have his adenoids removed on Friday morning. Simple, straight forward in and out procedure. I'm getting a bit terrified for him, and of the thought of never having him in my life again. I was running water for his bath last night, looking at all his tub toys, his tub crayons, his scribblings all over the tub tiles...got choked up allowing myself to flash forward to having to pack all that stuff away should we lose him somehow. Silly, I know. It's the curse and blessing of being a parent. The overwhelming something other than love we have for them, as Oxymoron said previously so well.

On a lighter note, getting my replacement 16GB N7 today, man have I missed that thing! My boy has taken quite a liking to it, and has been "settling" for using my GNEX while we wait. He has a choice of a laptop, iPod touch or my GNEX...goes for the GNEX every time.

how scary.. we were back at the ER last night, the kid has another coughing attack; the docs pretty much confirm that he has asthma; he might grow out of it... but we are gonna have to get a home nebulizer...

didn't go to bed, got up, went to the airport and now in vegas... long day, can't wait to go home...

IMG_20120807_090402.jpg

IMG_20120807_102743.jpg

Last edited:

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
@lpt2569, I know exactly what you mean. There are times when our kids have to go through something painful to get to a better place. It's very difficult as a parent. That feeling of helplessness is the worst. Even simple things, like allowing them to hurt themselves so they will "learn" what not to do... because let's face it, being "told" what not to do (even when it's for their own good) isn't good enough. It doesn't "stick".... like a custom recovery without removing the recovery-from-boot.p file. They have to do, and experience things on their own to learn and grow. It's definitely bittersweet.

@Droidintorrance, I also allow my son to play with my phone and tablet... also in small doses. I believe this generation needs both the tech, and standard playing. That being said, I lean heavily toward one on one activities with my son... and he actually prefers that (for which I'm grateful). I am a divorced parent, but thus far, all of his milestones have been with me.
First word, da da.
First steps, with me.
Learned to count, with me.
Rode a tricycle, with me.
Learned to swing on his own, with me.
Learned to write his name, with me.
Rode a bike without training wheels, with me.
Etc., etc....

He'll be five in September. He IS my world. Never have I, nor could I ever love another human being as much.

Reactions: lpt2569

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shadowbear