Handcent - stock messaging widget still shows message waiting

grhodes1

May 19, 2011
Visit site
So I'm trying to find the thread talking about using Handcent instead of the stock messaging app. I downloaded Handcent and have been using it with great results. However every time i send out a message it still shows in my stock messaging widget that i've got a message waiting. I tried to find the thread explaining how to disable that but was wondering if i should just delete the stock sms app

blupit30

May 21, 2010
Visit site
So I'm trying to find the thread talking about using Handcent instead of the stock messaging app. I downloaded Handcent and have been using it with great results. However every time i send out a message it still shows in my stock messaging widget that i've got a message waiting. I tried to find the thread explaining how to disable that but was wondering if i should just delete the stock sms app
ok you need to turn off the auto retrieve off on your stock msg app. i have no issues with that. plus you need to turn of the stock msg widget anyway. just use handcent. its the best msg app out. hope this helps. if not let me know and ill help with what i can.

steveholtam

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Using Handcent, is there a way for for the Handcent icon to show unread messages like the stock app does? The stock app shows unread in the unlock screen and the desktop.

berryrazmataz

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm having an issue with my Android phone and the stock Messaging App..
I have just recently downloaded Handcent. No complaints on that. I have seemingly switched off everything possible in the stock Messaging App to not receive Notifications from that app.

Here's my issue: I don't get Notifications from the stock Messaging App, but when you press the end button to make the screen turn off, then back on before you unlock the phone, it says I have unread messages. They aren't from Handcent though, it's from the stock Messaging App: Once I open that App, the unread messages clear from the phone, and they look in the App as if they have been read, but I only looked at the texts in Handcent.

Help me! I really don't want to have to "clear" my "unread" messages.. I justb want to use Handcent and make the other app stop altogether!

Thanks !:-*

solo1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm having an issue with my Android phone and the stock Messaging App..
I have just recently downloaded Handcent. No complaints on that. I have seemingly switched off everything possible in the stock Messaging App to not receive Notifications from that app.

Here's my issue: I don't get Notifications from the stock Messaging App, but when you press the end button to make the screen turn off, then back on before you unlock the phone, it says I have unread messages. They aren't from Handcent though, it's from the stock Messaging App: Once I open that App, the unread messages clear from the phone, and they look in the App as if they have been read, but I only looked at the texts in Handcent.

Help me! I really don't want to have to "clear" my "unread" messages.. I justb want to use Handcent and make the other app stop altogether!

Thanks !:-*

You have to remove the stock app icon from your lock screen ... Pull down menu > Quick Settings > All Settings > Personalize > Lock Screen > Settings ... Replace the Stock SMS Icon with either Handcent ( will not show unread texts) or anything else. > Done

Reactions: berryrazmataz

charlesmvaron

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
You have to remove the stock app icon from your lock screen ... Pull down menu > Quick Settings > All Settings > Personalize > Lock Screen > Settings ... Replace the Stock SMS Icon with either Handcent ( will not show unread texts) or anything else. > Done

I've done this as well but have one other issue. So, whenever I get a text message and reply to it, if I go to the screen with all apps and scroll through and find the messaging app icon it still says I have un read messages. There will be a black circle with green around it and a number to signify how many unread messages I have. It only goes away when I open the stock messaging app.

I know its ticky tacky but I don't want to see it when I'm scrolling through all my apps. Anyway to turn that off as well?

solo1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I've done this as well but have one other issue. So, whenever I get a text message and reply to it, if I go to the screen with all apps and scroll through and find the messaging app icon it still says I have un read messages. There will be a black circle with green around it and a number to signify how many unread messages I have. It only goes away when I open the stock messaging app.

I know its ticky tacky but I don't want to see it when I'm scrolling through all my apps. Anyway to turn that off as well?

OK ... Here is the deal with the stock SMS app ... You can't delete it and it seems like like you can't take the "missed" messages notification off the icon itself ... Now ... If you are using a third party SMS like Go SMS or Handcent, the Stock SMS icon will show the missed message in the App drawer until you actually read the text in your preferred messenger AND send another text out ... Once you send a text it will clear from your stock SMS ... In your App drawer you can also choose to only see your most used apps ... The STAR on the bottom of the screen. I hope this was helps and was clear enough to understand.

charlesmvaron

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
OK ... Here is the deal with the stock SMS app ... You can't delete it and it seems like like you can't take the "missed" messages notification off the icon itself ... Now ... If you are using a third party SMS like Go SMS or Handcent, the Stock SMS icon will show the missed message in the App drawer until you actually read the text in your preferred messenger AND send another text out ... Once you send a text it will clear from your stock SMS ... In your App drawer you can also choose to only see your most used apps ... The STAR on the bottom of the screen. I hope this was helps and was clear enough to understand.

Makes perfect sense to me.

I do have a question for you and everyone else. What is the best messaging app to use? SMS Pro, Handcent, or anything else not mentioned? Also, why do you think that messaging app is best?

df2656

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I should be more clear. I can send MMS from Go SMS Pro when my wifi is turned off, but when on wifi the mms never sends until I turn wifi off. It just sets there attempting to send the message.

I know sms/mms does not use wifi, but the stock app somehow sends mms when I am connected to via wifi. I'm sure it is 'bypassing' the wifi and using the 3G in some manner, but how do I get Go SMS Pro to do this?

It is not a huge issue, but it would be nice to send MMS texts from work/home/etc. without having to turn off wifi first.

Thanks!

berryrazmataz

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

I'm sorry but.. I don't understand. I don't have any of those options from the pull down menu, or even from Settings.. How do you access the Lock Screen and its settings? I don't have a widget for the lock screen.. so just the one in the android system.

Sorry, I feel like a noob but I haven't had my android phone very long so it's a bit confusing.

Thank you!

solo1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry but.. I don't understand. I don't have any of those options from the pull down menu, or even from Settings.. How do you access the Lock Screen and its settings? I don't have a widget for the lock screen.. so just the one in the android system.

Sorry, I feel like a noob but I haven't had my android phone very long so it's a bit confusing.

Thank you!

When you roll down the pull-down menu, there will be two tabs on the very bottom ... Notifications and Quick Settings ... Press quick settings then follow the rest of the instructions.

LeslieS

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site

When I follow these steps, I don't see 'Lock Screen'?? I have unchecked everything in the stock app settings (there is not auto retrieve in there, there is in handcent?) and I still get two notification icons and the 'window' to reply in that comes up is the stock app window?? I had no problems with this before the update last week? After the update a lot of stuff was acting up, I actually had to do a factory reset but this is still an issue??
:mad:
Leslie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradypsnyder