Hangouts Contacts

MaccaBird

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
When using Hangouts 2.0 on my Galaxy S4 for the sms (I downloaded the leaked apk before google has released it), I cannot seem to get it to use the contacts from my phone. It instead tries to use the contact list from my Gmail account. This is a problem because most of my friends do not use Google+, and so they just have the default image next to their name in Hangouts sms threads. As well, I don't have all of my friend's phone numbers in their Gmail contact because their phone numbers are simply linked with Facebook.

Now, when I use Hangouts on my Nexus 10 tablet, it takes the contacts from the People app. As well, on my Nexus 10 I use "UberSync Facebook Contact Sync", which adds my friend's facebook profile pictures to the People app. And thus, when I go into Hangouts, everyone has their Facebook Profile pictures there. This is essentially what I want to happen on my Galaxy S4.

When I use the stock messaging app, it takes my contacts from the stock Contacts app, which syncs contacts from Gmail, Google+, and Facebook all into one merged contact for each person.

So basically I'm looking for:

1) To have Hangouts use the merged contacts list from my stock Contact app

or

2) Somehow merge Facebook contact list with my Gmail Contacts

Any insight?

UPDATE: So I used the HaxSync app on the play store. I downloaded it on my Nexus 10, and let it sync. I thought that it would just link my facebook contacts to my local contacts on my Nexus 10. However, to my happy surprise, when I went on to my Gmail Contacts on my computer, their facebook profile pictures were then there. So that was one step. Unfortunately, when I go to use hangouts on my Galaxy S4, the profile pictures are still blank for my contacts who do not have Google+. Very frustrating to try and use SMS with it, having no profile pictures. It is particularly confusing in group messages, when I can't quickly tell who the message is from.

UPDATE 2: Okay, so I downloaded HaxSync directly to my Galaxy S4. (I had originally just downloaded it on my Nexus 10, hoping that it would sync the FB profile pictures to my Gmail Contacts via my tablet, by passing my phone. However, like I said above, that did not work insofar as getting those profile pictures to Google Hangouts) Having run the HaxSync on my phone, I now have Facebook Profile pictures syncing into the contacts list in my Google Hangouts. It would seem that for some reason, Google Hangouts will not recognize any of the syncing directly from facebook. But the work around with the HaxSync does work, because in your stock contacts list, it will show the picture came from HaxSync, which will trick Hangouts into using it.

If anyone else was having this problem, this work around worked for me.

Last edited:

connorabramson

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
hey i've been having the same problem with the contact pictures in hangouts. I tried downloading haxsync but i'm not sure if I did something wrong or didn't follow a step because my contact pictures are still default on Hangouts. could you maybe provide me a step by step precedure with haxsync to show me how to solve this issue?

thanks so much, my email is [email address removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Flowers

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
If your problem is Hangouts not displaying a contacts image in the conversation or conversation list, try adding the country code to the contacts number. This worked for me. Soon as I added +44 (for UK) the image displayed for that contact.

I believe this to be an issue with Hangouts not recognising a contacts number and associating it unless it has country code.

Update: it's the act of initiating "add to people" which sorts the problem. Not adding the country code.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roth4796