Has phone been hacked paypal

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I was given a phone number from a company that was to be Paypal gave them all my information 25 minutes later was asked to go to the store and get gift card said they would put $100.00 on my Paypal account they didn't need to know they set me up to Amazon don't want Amazon

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central. Not be over critical but I'm having a difficult time following you on this. I can't tell where one sentence ends and the next starts and I'm pretty sure there are missing words too.

I did get that you said gift cards and that is an instant red flag. No real legit company needs you to pay by gift card, unless it is theirs. Are these gift cards for or from the business in question? Then it is most like a scam.

I still cannot figure out how Paypal plays into this, were you trying to make a purchase, where you trying to send or receive money? It might help if we had more of the story. But like I mentioned before gift cards are a scam, any web search will yield the same response. Don't do it and report the company, email or whomever is trying to get you to pay this way.

Let us know what you find or if you want to offer more information.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That really smells like a scam. It's important that you register here and give us more details, since you may have had your identity and/or credit card info stolen by this "company."

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
You've fallen victim to a very common phone scam. Unless the scammer convinced you to install something on your phone or go to a dodgy website, your phone should be fine... Although any data you told the scammer should be considered compromised and changed immediately.

You're never getting that $100 back unfortunately, you should think of this as a learning experience and not give any data to random people on the other end of a phone in the future.

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes. As said above... it's a scam, scam, scam.

Hopefully you never told them any account numbers to your actual bank or credit/debit cards. Or followed them to a site to put that information in - that would be a fake site.

Call your real bank directly and stop any transactions that may have been initiated.

As @fuzzylumpkin says, that is a very common phone scam. They'll tell you all kinds of things to get you to buy gift cards, that are then put in a Paypal account or Amazon to buy something through a site they suggest. Those sites would be fake and are used for you to put in your real information that they swipe. Or, put in an amount that, by accident (yeah, right), is suddenly several thousand dollars more than it was supposed to be. Then, they will tell you how to reverse that but it never works. And more money is gone.

Next time, if anyone calls you and says there is a problem with some account and you don't know about that account - it's a scam - hang up.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Another thing to watch for is scam on YouTube comments saying you won a prize and send pm on Telegram app. Google isn't good about monitoring that scam despite many YouTube channel creators reporting it.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk