Beware of Fraudulent buyers

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I listed my Tab S8 on eBay and I received a message shortly afterwards from a user who wanted to buy the tablet for her daughter but couldn't buy it through eBay because her account was blocked for some reason. I politely asked her that I'd prefer to use eBay as they have rules in place to protect people from being taken advantage of on both ends of the transaction. She starts to get offended that I might have suggested that she was trying to scam me. I ended up sending her a request for payment of the tablet through PayPal. I then received what I thought was a confirmation email from PayPal that she had sent the payment although nothing was showing up or happening on my PayPal account. It was still showing that the payment that I requested was pending. I thought maybe it takes a day or two for anything to show up. In the meantime, I looked up her address on Google and it's a business address of like a department store or something. I continued to give her the benefit of the doubt thinking that maybe she wants to have it shipped to her work.

So this morning still nothing is happening. So I reach out to PayPal and started chatting with them. I send them the transaction id and the raw email message. They confirmed that the email didn't come from them.

So disheartening that there are people out there who are looking to take advantage of people. Just the day before, after posting it to Facebook marketplace, I received a message from someone else who tried to scam me. They said they would venmo me the money and have someone else pick it up. I told them I prefer using PayPal or cash only. They insisted that I use venmo. I ended up blocking them as they clearly were trying to take advantage of me as well. This person was easier to spot as a scammer. The person on eBay sounded a bit more legit but there were still some red flags that I should have picked up on.

Just wanted to share my experience on here to tell you to be careful out there. I did end up changing my PayPal password after this happened.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I listed my Tab S8 on eBay and I received a message shortly afterwards from a user who wanted to buy the tablet for her daughter but couldn't buy it through eBay because her account was blocked for some reason. I politely asked her that I'd prefer to use eBay as they have rules in place to protect people from being taken advantage of on both ends of the transaction. She starts to get offended that I might have suggested that she was trying to scam me. I ended up sending her a request for payment of the tablet through PayPal. I then received what I thought was a confirmation email from PayPal that she had sent the payment although nothing was showing up or happening on my PayPal account. It was still showing that the payment that I requested was pending. I thought maybe it takes a day or two for anything to show up. In the meantime, I looked up her address on Google and it's a business address of like a department store or something. I continued to give her the benefit of the doubt thinking that maybe she wants to have it shipped to her work.

So this morning still nothing is happening. So I reach out to PayPal and started chatting with them. I send them the transaction id and the raw email message. They confirmed that the email didn't come from them.

So disheartening that there are people out there who are looking to take advantage of people. Just the day before, after posting it to Facebook marketplace, I received a message from someone else who tried to scam me. They said they would venmo me the money and have someone else pick it up. I told them I prefer using PayPal or cash only. They insisted that I use venmo. I ended up blocking them as they clearly were trying to take advantage of me as well. This person was easier to spot as a scammer. The person on eBay sounded a bit more legit but there were still some red flags that I should have picked up on.

Just wanted to share my experience on here to tell you to be careful out there. I did end up changing my PayPal password after this happened.
Sorry that happened. There are a hell of a lot of people out there that make it incredibly difficult to have any faith in humanity whatsoever.

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Sorry that happened. There are a hell of a lot of people out there that make it incredibly difficult to have any faith in humanity whatsoever.
I know. It's so sad. They prey on people who are the most likely to trust people and believe them. I hate having to put my guard up and being skeptical about people.

Scott337

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
Sorry to hear that. For me, I only use Swappa to buy / sell used phones or tablets. I have bought and sold quite a few over the years and never had any of the issues that are typical with selling phones on eBay or other outlets.

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to hear that. For me, I only use Swappa to buy / sell used phones or tablets. I have bought and sold quite a few over the years and never had any of the issues that are typical with selling phones on eBay or other outlets.
Yeah I had it posted on Swappa for a week and half and even lowered the price a couple of times. I just never got any interested buyers. I still may try it again but I hate their fees. I have sold one phone on there and another on eBay.