HDR Off / Auto / Always On

EricMartinSoCal

Mar 1, 2019
Visit site
Unless I missed it I don't think we can manually toggle HDR off or on (which I prefer) when taking a photo in regular picture mode without leaving the app and heading into settings. I could be wrong but I feel like I lose contrast and some fine detail in certain bright scenes when HDR comes on automatically. Does everyone leave it on auto? What is your preference / opinion of the HDR performance?

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
I read somewhere best to turn on only when you need....if you plan to view the videos on pcs, etc since a lot will not be compatiable. If only plan to view on NDR devices then probably auto.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes of course you can toggle on/off or set for always on. Open camera, go to settings- HDR. select turn on when needed. Now when in camera mode, in the upper left you should see HDR off/on I hope you have good eyes because it very small icon.

EricMartinSoCal

Mar 1, 2019
Visit site
Yes of course you can toggle on/off or set for always on. Open camera, go to settings- HDR. select turn on when needed. Now when in camera mode, in the upper left you should see HDR off/on I hope you have good eyes because it very small icon.
Yes, but often you can click it on or off while taking the photo I meant. Maybe I'm the only one who seems to think HDR mode on the S10+ seems to wash out the photo and fine detail a bit - especially in bright scenes?

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but often you can click it on or off while taking the photo I meant. Maybe I'm the only one who seems to think HDR mode on the S10+ seems to wash out the photo and fine detail a bit - especially in bright scenes?

You’re not the only one. HDR simply, in the end, raises the shadows and lowers the speculars and thus lowing the contrast and micro-contrast (though cell phone lenses usually are pretty crappy in providing much micro-contrast) which makes the photograph look flat and more 2D. Also as you’ve rightly and smartly observed, hides some of the finer details (flattens the micro-contrast).
Photographers, usually, are very selective when PP their photos, to not open the shadows nor lower the speculars too much and are especially careful not to mash the micro-contrast. You’ll end up with a flat,2D looking photo otherwise and I see a lot of that on the various cell phone forums.

EricMartinSoCal

Mar 1, 2019
Visit site
You’re not the only one. HDR simply, in the end, raises the shadows and lowers the speculars and thus lowing the contrast and micro-contrast (though cell phone lenses usually are pretty crappy in providing much micro-contrast) which makes the photograph look flat and more 2D. Also as you’ve rightly and smartly observed, hides some of the finer details (flattens the micro-contrast).
Photographers, usually, are very selective when PP their photos, to not open the shadows nor lower the speculars too much and are especially careful not to mash the micro-contrast. You’ll end up with a flat,2D looking photo otherwise and I see a lot of that on the various cell phone forums.
Great answer. Thanks. I turned it off and I'll use it when I really need to. Maybe one day I'll figure out how to use the "pro-mode." But for now, I don't think the camera needs MORE auto control.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldul1234