HDR Screen on the Pixel 2 XL?

wesco93

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
Technically the Pixel 2 XL should be able to show HDR content because of it using the exact same display as the LG V30 which supports both HDR10 and Dolby Vision. I don't know if Google would pay the licensing fees to be able to use Dolby Vision though, but I hope they surprise me in doing so. 😁

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
It works, just watched a couple of HDR you tube demo reel videos and you can see it go into HDR mode when you flip to landscape / full screen mode. I confirmed the video mode it was in as well. Pretty spectacular looking ??????

Pigman

May 27, 2011
Visit site
It works, just watched a couple of HDR you tube demo reel videos and you can see it go into HDR mode when you flip to landscape / full screen mode. I confirmed the video mode it was in as well. Pretty spectacular looking ������
It looks as if the youtube videos I watched were in HDR. They were beautiful. Youtube said I was watching 1080pHDR stream.

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
ok sorry to dig up an old thread, but HDR is supported on Youtube, why not Netflix?

Pretty sure it's application dependent, so Netflix would have to update their Android player for HDR on the Pixel 2. If enough people ask, and Google sells enough phones, maybe?

Pigman

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Pretty sure it's application dependent, so Netflix would have to update their Android player for HDR on the Pixel 2. If enough people ask, and Google sells enough phones, maybe?

Well apparently Netflix HDR works for the Razer phone. I don't have the numbers, but I can't believe more Razer phones were sold than Pixels.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
ok sorry to dig up an old thread, but HDR is supported on Youtube, why not Netflix?

Netflix has to enable support for the phone so it really is on Netflix... But somewhat on the manufacturer to start the conversation. The manufacturer then has to meet Netflix's "specifications" in order to have it done.

LG V30

Razer Phone

Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Sony Xperia XZ Premium

Sony Xperia XZ1

Source: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23939

Pigman

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Netflix has to enable support for the phone so it really is on Netflix... But somewhat on the manufacturer to start the conversation. The manufacturer then has to meet Netflix's "specifications" in order to have it done.

I thought the Pixel XL2 has the same screen as the LG30

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I thought the Pixel XL2 has the same screen as the LG30

It isn't just hardware specifications. It has to do with coding as well. If it was just hardware I would assume a ton more phones would have it easily then.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilliejoylene