Headphones

Tractorlegs

Oct 25, 2023
Visit site
Everyone here at the forums probably already knows this, but I discovered that if you put a USB-C to 1/8” Female adapter in the charging port on the Razr, you can plug in headphones and it works. I thought I was gonna need to go out and buy some bluetooth headphones - but I don’t need to replace my ol’ Skullcandys (Skullcandies?). I hadn’t seen that feature in the documentation, just though I’d try it - and Bingo! Jethro Tull Lives! 😊

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Most devices with USB-C ports support this with a HUGE caveat: DACs. The 'norm' is that audio through USB-C is supported, provided the adapter you are using has an integrated DAC. If it doesn't, then the DAC would have to be in the phone/tablet/computer, and most mobile devices have done away from those. Glad yours worked on first try, though! So many posts here of people having an adapter from another phone and finding out it is not supported in another because it lacks that integrated DAC.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Tractorlegs

Oct 25, 2023
Visit site
Most devices with USB-C ports support this with a HUGE caveat: DACs. The 'norm' is that audio through USB-C is supported, provided the adapter you are using has an integrated DAC. If it doesn't, then the DAC would have to be in the phone/tablet/computer, and most mobile devices have done away from those. Glad yours worked on first try, though! So many posts here of people having an adapter from another phone and finding out it is not supported in another because it lacks that integrated DAC.
This was supported on my old iPhone 13, so it was a shot in the dark for me to try it on the Razr - I was surprised that it works! The adapter I used is a generic one I bought at Amazon. Thanks for your response - What is a DAC, and its purpose? I’ve never heard of that. 😊

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Digital to Analog Converter. Basically translates the ones and zeroes to the analog audio signal required for a regular headphone jack. If the adapter doesn't have one nor does the phone, it's like trying to have a conversation in English with someone who only speaks Japanese: it won't work.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
They do...for their speakers (kinda... the analog hardware is already there for the internal components). Converting the digital signal to an analog signal with the specs required for analog headphones is a different beast (and that's where some devices may have skimped on the hardware and not have that for the USB-C port).

Tractorlegs

Oct 25, 2023
Visit site
thanks for sharing. you are wrong that everyone might know about it actually i dont know about it. well i am here to appreciate you for amazing trick and love to learn more like this if you have than please share.
You’re welcome! I’m still pretty much a rookie however . . . . I was lucky to find it.

Tractorlegs

Oct 25, 2023
Visit site
Digital to Analog Converter. Basically translates the ones and zeroes to the analog audio signal required for a regular headphone jack. If the adapter doesn't have one nor does the phone, it's like trying to have a conversation in English with someone who only speaks Japanese: it won't work.
Thanks @SpookDroid for your clear explanation. 😊

AndroidFanboy8

Feb 24, 2018
Visit site
Do you use a special 3mm dongle? The three I have don't work BUT the pixel dongle works. Weird. The dual 3mm and usb-c charge dongles don't work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali