Help! Pixel 2xl Freezing since Android Pie

maddiealan

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I have always been a Pixel lover. I owned the first gen Pixel, and I bought my 2xl last October. Never any problems, and the best phone I've ever had. However, lately my phone keeps freezing on me. I maybe do 20 restarts in a day. I open an app, like my gmail...read the mail, and then when I go to close, the phone is frozen. I restart and look at my calendar, and then I go to close and the phone is frozen again! I have done hard restarts, I've forced close apps I've been using, I've cleared out cache on the apps I use, I restarted the phone in Safe Mode and I've switched from the new Navigation Bar back to the old one and nothing stops the freezing. It's driving me nuts! Everything else works fine. I have not done a factory reset since it's such a PITA, so I know that's my last option, but I thought I'd see if anyone has any other suggestion. I've never had issues before with a software update!

maddiealan

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Actually my phone is not acting slow, or lagging. When I do a restart and we'll say I go to my gmail, I'll be in my inbox looking at my mail and everything works fine. If I want to trash something or archive, no problem. It's just when I want to get out of gmail and on to something else, it's like the navigation bar is frozen. The pill doesn't work at all, and I can't get it to do anything. When I revert back to the old navigation bar, it doesn't work either. So, it's got to be software, not hardware I would think.

NMCynthia

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
It might be a good idea to contact Google anyway, since this all started because of their update. Just an FYI on your part.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I restarted the phone in Safe Mode
If this problem still happens in Safe mode then a Factory Reset is the next order of business. It's even possible that something happened during the upgrade, so I wouldn't waste much time setting the device up again afterwards: see if you can reproduce the problem and if you can then manually flash the latest firmware and then try it again.

vaginit1s

Aug 22, 2018
Visit site
I have the exact same issue with the original Pixel. Ever since the Android 9 pie upgrade it freezes and only a restart fixes the issue temporarily.

maddiealan

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
If this problem still happens in Safe mode then a Factory Reset is the next order of business. It's even possible that something happened during the upgrade, so I wouldn't waste much time setting the device up again afterwards: see if you can reproduce the problem and if you can then manually flash the latest firmware and then try it again.

Well, I don't want to jinx myself, but I'm feeling cautiously optimistic. I informed Google of the problem and then before doing a reset, I decided to research some of my apps on the Play store. I discovered two, and one in particular, that wasn't playing nice with anyone that had the Android Pie update. That app was Amazon Alexa, which I have because I own two Echoes. So I deleted it from the phone. The other was an app I had installed several months ago when I bought a new Braun electric toothbrush. I really never used it much anyhow, so I deleted it. I did another restart of the phone, and then I gave up pretty much and left my phone alone. Today, after charging the phone, knock on wood, it's been great! Performing exactly like it should, no freezes, the new navigation bar working perfectly. So, I'm hoping it was those two apps and everything is okay now. We'll see.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
koop