Help rooting Optimus V

RevolutionRed

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if the Recovery Image that was on the V is the same as the one posted for the Optimus S in their forum? Not that I need it yet but I always like to have it just in case. And btw, when I was flashing the recovery using this method http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-...ustom-recovery-optimus-s-thunderc-sprint.html all of the commands worked except the mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak It said that file did not exist, which i figured was not a big deal and just moved past that step. Dont know if anyone else had that problem.

To answer your questions, no, the missing file isn't a problem, and the recovery rom is not the same.

Cordell posted this link to a stock image in another thread:
DeOdexVMrom.zip - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

gfurr24

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
To answer your questions, no, the missing file isn't a problem, and the recovery rom is not the same.

Cordell posted this link to a stock image in another thread:
DeOdexVMrom.zip - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download

I had already downloaded that and looked through it but it doesnt contain the recovery image file. Unless I am overlooking it. I am specifically worried about that bc without that, stock updates wont be able to flash. (this is all precautionary, in case i need to return the phone for some reason)

super-6-1

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
ok, so im rooted and i dont know if its only me, but my USB functions stopped working with the kernal... I mean its ok for now till a new real kernal comes out for it but does anyone else have this issue?

Last edited:

takehull

Hipster Retro Jelly Bean
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
ok, so im rooted and i dont know if its only me, but my USB functions stopped working with the kernal... I mean its ok for now till a new real kernal comes out for it but does anyone else have this issue?

I did, so I switched back to the stock kernal. I'll just wait for one to be developed for our phone specifically.

devilspy

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
So I've had the Optimus S on my work line for the past few months. Bought without contract. Recently left the job, and service went out today.

Currently Running the latest ThunderRom 1.6.2-Deluxe xia kernel Jit&Stagefright enabled.

I already got the phone fully customized, and don't want to sell on ebay/rebuy route, and Metro pcs and Virgin plans seem very attractive for my needs.

Since I'm fully rooted and my ESN is clear.
Can I just flash(if I need to) the S to the V using posted roms for Virgin Mobile sign up to Virgin and expect it to work? and ? Are there major hardware diff that would impede services? Don't want to brick my phone.

shawnf1986

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
So I've had the Optimus S on my work line for the past few months. Bought without contract. Recently left the job, and service went out today.

Currently Running the latest ThunderRom 1.6.2-Deluxe xia kernel Jit&Stagefright enabled.

I already got the phone fully customized, and don't want to sell on ebay/rebuy route, and Metro pcs and Virgin plans seem very attractive for my needs.

Since I'm fully rooted and my ESN is clear.
Can I just flash(if I need to) the S to the V using posted roms for Virgin Mobile sign up to Virgin and expect it to work? and ? Are there major hardware diff that would impede services? Don't want to brick my phone.

Im pretty sure the esn wont go on vm.. U can only use vm esn's.. Ive herd u can change the esn but not sure if thats legal r not

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

devilspy

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
figured it might since Virgin uses sprints network. Oh well I guess I'll be going the ebay route & picking up a V tommorow unless someone knows a way.

613M0

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Lurker here. Picked up my optimus v a couple of days ago from Target. Also interested in rooting.

z4root installs just fine, but both the temporary and permanent root options do not work for me. The phone just stays at the "running exploit screen" forever. Other have reported that z4root runs to completion, but upon rebooting they still don't have root. I never see an error message in my case.

I also tried uploading busybox, su, and rageagainstthecage manually and rooting that way. Everything executes ok, the adb sessions ends, the phone disconnects and reconnects, but once you run adb shell again, you still have the $ prompt, and no root. No error messages appear.

In both cases I made sure USB debugging was enabled. I haven't tried superoneclick yet, but according to what I've read from others it doesn't work either. I'll download and try it anyway.

Thanks for your help.
well I'm new at this and I know i might sound stupid but i have been having the optimus V from virgin mobile and wanted to root it and already tried Z4root but nothing. . . . . so if anyone has cracked this mystery if you could reply with the link etc. thanks

madbarron

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
well I'm new at this and I know i might sound stupid but i have been having the optimus V from virgin mobile and wanted to root it and already tried Z4root but nothing. . . . . so if anyone has cracked this mystery if you could reply with the link etc. thanks
Once it's rooted, when you start a new session in adb, remember to run the su command to make your session a superuser session. I forgot about this the first time I did it too ;)

PS iirc I used clockworkmod as a really easy one-click root.

613M0

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
thanks for replying but im not too used to the lingo i know what Su is but what is adb? and where did you get the clockworkmod app or link for an easy just one click root? sorry please explain in details (plain english lol) thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caroltheresa61