Help unbrick my motorola android phone please

Apr 14, 2023
Visit site
Hello, my Motorola e Android phone got hard bricked and it began suddenly with the first error message being constant boot looping and eventually going to an error message with an adroid on its back where it said partition was corrupt or damaged and the only choices were try again or factory reset. I kept trying again.

I tried to fix it and eventually ended up stuck on ap fastboot flash mode(secure) and it says oem locked.

I gave up trying to do it myself and want to factory reset but recovery mode won't work even if I press it, says that start up failed and goes back to fastboot mode. It's stuck.

Serial number is ZY22DLT4R and last letter is a V or W, can't tell.

I dont know to flash or custom rom. Tried a few but I only have windows 10 on my PC and it didn't install drivers properly and I need this phone fixed ASAP 😑. I think I'm considered a newbie.

I also need to know if it's too far gone so I'm prepared to buy another crappy phone and lose all my data. I don't have days/weeks to learn tutorials about how to mod, etc.

I don't know if my bootloader is locked or unlocked.

Please help.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
With a locked bootloader, which you have, you can only flash stock software which is what you should be trying to do. But if you haven't been able to get ADB running on your computer and aren't willing to follow tutorials you're best option as to buy a new phone.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
How old is your PC to be 32-bit? I can't help you with a tutorial, haven't looked at one in ten years lol. Honestly, your best option is probably to source a modern machine and follow the guide Belodeon posted.

Youtube is full of tutorials though, and you could look through XDA. I wouldn't necessarily suggest posting there cause they're not always the most n00b friendly place... I liked to use a slim ADB version personally. It doesn't require installation and usually works. That said, it's hard to give definitive instructions because every PC is different and there is always a certain amount of tinkering/trial and error to getting these things to work.

Apr 14, 2023
Visit site
I tried that and that software would not run as my PC is 32bit not 64. It's already bricked and I have little time and little left to lose if I have to buy another phone and lose my data

Apr 14, 2023
Visit site
How old is your PC to be 32-bit? I can't help you with a tutorial, haven't looked at one in ten years lol. Honestly, your best option is probably to source a modern machine and follow the guide Belodeon posted.

Youtube is full of tutorials though, and you could look through XDA. I wouldn't necessarily suggest posting there cause they're not always the most n00b friendly place... I liked to use a slim ADB version personally. It doesn't require installation and usually works. That said, it's hard to give definitive instructions because every PC is different and there is always a certain amount of tinkering/trial and error to getting these things to work.
I considered that, I suppose I could see if it's possible to find a 64bit machine. Over a few years old

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
If they didn't enable ADB before the phone bricked, I don't think it's going to matter much. Even if they did, and want to flash a custom recovery and then a custom ROM, they would have to unlock the bootloader, which wipes the device. I think the choices of what to do next are these: 1. If the device is within warranty, file a claim with Moto, 2. If you have insurance on the phone file a claim, 3. Buy a new phone.

I think any possibility of getting any data from the device that hasn't been backed up is going to be a lost cause.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
If they didn't enable ADB before the phone bricked, I don't think it's going to matter much. Even if they did, and want to flash a custom recovery and then a custom ROM, they would have to unlock the bootloader, which wipes the device. I think the choices of what to do next are these: 1. If the device is within warranty, file a claim with Moto, 2. If you have insurance on the phone file a claim, 3. Buy a new phone.

I think any possibility of getting any data from the device that hasn't been backed up is going to be a lost cause.
As I said in comment 2, you can flash stock software with a totally locked and stock phone.

There's no such thing as enabling ADB, it's always accessible. You're probably thinking of either OEM unlocking or USB debugging, both of which would indeed need to be enabled to install custom software.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
This a quick way for adb and fastboot

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
As I said in comment 2, you can flash stock software with a totally locked and stock phone.

There's no such thing as enabling ADB, it's always accessible. You're probably thinking of either OEM unlocking or USB debugging, both of which would indeed need to be enabled to install custom software.
Have to disagree with the second part. Just now, I plugged my phone in and typed the adb devices command into my command prompt. Didn't list any devices attached. Once I went into Settings>Dev options>USB debugging toggled on, and retyped the command, I got my device list.

To use adb with a device connected over USB, you must enable USB debugging in the device system settings, under Developer options. On Android 4.2 (API level 17) and higher, the Developer options screen is hidden by default. To make it visible, enable Developer options.

Link:

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Have to disagree with the second part. Just now, I plugged my phone in and typed the adb devices command into my command prompt. Didn't list any devices attached. Once I went into Settings>Dev options>USB debugging toggled on, and retyped the command, I got my device list.

To use adb with a device connected over USB, you must enable USB debugging in the device system settings, under Developer options. On Android 4.2 (API level 17) and higher, the Developer options screen is hidden by default. To make it visible, enable Developer options.

Link:
You are technically correct, the best kind of correct.

I was conflating ADB and FastBoot, which I shouldn't do, because they *are* different and apparently it confuses people. My bad, as the Americans say.

But what this person actually needs to (potentially) repair their phone is FastBoot, not ADB (they are both set up and accessible in the same package, which is why I conflated them).

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos