Solved Home screen scrolling immediately stops after getting phone wet, can't 'fling' the screen anymore.

Darth_Alicious

Nov 16, 2023
Visit site
My Pixel 6 pro got dropped in a full sink for less than a second a few days ago. It is mostly back to normal after drying, with one major exception: scrolling no longer "flings" things on menus, the app screen, notifications, etc. For instance, if I want to clear a notification I have to touch it and drag my finger all the way from one side of the screen to the other, and sometimes even then it still whips back instead of sliding off the screen. And when I try to scroll down my apps list, the scrolling stops the instant my finger leaves the screen instead of smoothly sliding down and slowly coming to a stop. What's weird is that this is NOT the case on apps, I can fling scroll on Firefox browser and other apps just like before. Has anyone else encountered this before?

Solution
So good news, it appears to be fixed. I went into Developer options to run some tests and enabled Show Surface Updates to test if the screen was seeing inputs I wasn't doing (from moisture or debris) and sure enough it was. I disabled that and then enabled Pointer Location so I could find where the input was. I went back to the home screen and it suddenly works correctly now. Not sure if that re-calibrated the screen or what, but if anyone else ever encounters this give that a try after you have let your phone dry a while.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central forums. Sorry to hear about your issue. This is the same effect you get if you say use your device in the shower or the rain, where it senses the water droplet as a touch, kind of. It may not sense it fully as a touch, opening items or resizing the screen when you swipe in one direction or the other like if you were using two fingers but it is enough for there to be a small drag where you have to make big full movements to get it to respond. More than likely there is a small amount of moisture perhaps between the screen and digitizer, between the screen and screen protector or even some residue still on the screen.

For cheapest to most expensive,
Try cleaning the screen fully. You might use some alcohol or even just a microfiber cloth, but clean edge to edge and inspect the screen for residue and then test.

If your screen is still laggy, remove the screen protector and again clean the screen.

If that didn't work or you don't have a screen protector, let the phone sit in a warm, not hot and not sunny, place for a little while to be sure it is fully dry. This might be a long shot given you say it has already been a few days but moisture inside of something can last longer than on the surface or exposed to moving air.

The device should be IP 68 which it should have survived a 2 second dip so I'm really hoping you have a screen protector and that the device isn't cracked or damaged in some other way.

Let us know what you find.

Reactions: fuzzylumpkin

Darth_Alicious

Nov 16, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central forums. Sorry to hear about your issue. This is the same effect you get if you say use your device in the shower or the rain, where it senses the water droplet as a touch, kind of. It may not sense it fully as a touch, opening items or resizing the screen when you swipe in one direction or the other like if you were using two fingers but it is enough for there to be a small drag where you have to make big full movements to get it to respond. More than likely there is a small amount of moisture perhaps between the screen and digitizer, between the screen and screen protector or even some residue still on the screen.

For cheapest to most expensive,
Try cleaning the screen fully. You might use some alcohol or even just a microfiber cloth, but clean edge to edge and inspect the screen for residue and then test.

If your screen is still laggy, remove the screen protector and again clean the screen.

If that didn't work or you don't have a screen protector, let the phone sit in a warm, not hot and not sunny, place for a little while to be sure it is fully dry. This might be a long shot given you say it has already been a few days but moisture inside of something can last longer than on the surface or exposed to moving air.

The device should be IP 68 which it should have survived a 2 second dip so I'm really hoping you have a screen protector and that the device isn't cracked or damaged in some other way.

Let us know what you find.
Thank you, I will give this a try

Darth_Alicious

Nov 16, 2023
Visit site
So good news, it appears to be fixed. I went into Developer options to run some tests and enabled Show Surface Updates to test if the screen was seeing inputs I wasn't doing (from moisture or debris) and sure enough it was. I disabled that and then enabled Pointer Location so I could find where the input was. I went back to the home screen and it suddenly works correctly now. Not sure if that re-calibrated the screen or what, but if anyone else ever encounters this give that a try after you have let your phone dry a while.

Solution

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hackemail