Honestly, I could deal with the size of the HTC One (M8) if only....

snocone

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Re: Honestly, I could deal with the size of the M8 if only................

I don't really find it to be a problem for me but there are plenty of alternatives for dealing with it. The easiest would be to install a power/screen off app, put the app shortcut on your home screen in a easy to reach spot and problem solved. Tap or swipe to wake and tap to sleep...

Here's one of many that can be found in the Play store https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.katecca.screenofflock&token=uj6fuva5

i tried this app and its useful, but i cant get it to wake without using the power button.any suggestions?

uh60james

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I love the power button on the top and I'm glad HTC has continued to leave it there. I'm much more likely to accidentally turn my screen off with a side power button. Also, my first Android was the Evo so it just seems right to be up top.

Posted via Android Central App

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

It's tough being a freak of nature, but somebody's gotta do it. :) There's about a hundred different apps out there to shut your screen off. I don't think I'll EVER hit the power button on this phone (finally arriving on Monday).

Thats why we got the Note series. To make us feel more normal. So when someone with a 5 inch screen complains about not being able to hit the power button we can pretend to know what they are going thru with a Note 3. :)
Glad to see im not the only one in the tall club in the forums.

omgitsjoe

May 1, 2013
Visit site

I don't really find it to be a problem for me but there are plenty of alternatives for dealing with it. The easiest would be to install a power/screen off app, put the app shortcut on your home screen in a easy to reach spot and problem solved. Tap or swipe to wake and tap to sleep...

Here's one of many that can be found in the Play store https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.katecca.screenofflock&token=qWn5YkO_

Than you. I just installed this and will never use the power button in top again to sleep the device.

Ill double tap to wake it up !

Win win :)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site

i tried this app and its useful, but i cant get it to wake without using the power button.any suggestions?

Go into Settings>Display & gestures>Motion Launch gestures and be sure Motion Launch gestures on the resulting screen is checked. When you have this function turned on - with screen off, lift the phone up to portrait and double tap the screen or swipe from the left/right or swipe down from top half of screen or swipe up from bottom half of screen to wake the phone into the various modes. When you do it right you will feel a haptic feedback (slight vibration). If it is not working with the setting turned on and performing the wake gestures correctly you may have some issue that needs resolving.

snocone

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site

Go into Settings>Display & gestures>Motion Launch gestures and be sure Motion Launch gestures on the resulting screen is checked. When you have this function turned on - with screen off, lift the phone up to portrait and double tap the screen or swipe from the left/right or swipe down from top half of screen or swipe up from bottom half of screen to wake the phone into the various modes. When you do it right you will feel a haptic feedback (slight vibration). If it is not working with the setting turned on and performing the wake gestures correctly you may have some issue that needs resolving.
thanks for the reply, i just realized its for the htc one 8, i have the 7

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

You don't necessarily have to pick the device up, you can use these gestures when it is laying down as well

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
ge6ase7a.jpg
not sure if you guys knew this but you can swipe up from the home button and use that app to sleep.

Ewing33855

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
HTC had put the power button on the side. I cant reach the power button without having to completely juggle the phone in my hand or use my other hand. Its really annoying. The controls to turn the phone on are great, but turning it on invariably leads to turning it off.

Does it just not bother you or have you figured something out that I haven't?

I have an LG g2 for work and the nice thing is if you double tap on an empty space on the home screen, it'll turn the phone off. Hopefully it's a software upgrade.

Sent from my HTC One M8

xs11e

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site

I'm also coming from a GS3 and a GS4 and I really like the top power button, on the Samsung phones I often hit the power button by mistake. I never do that on the M8 or my previous HTC phones.

nyc_rock

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I've starting using my index finger rather than my thumb. It's awkward, but do able.

Kibbster

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site

You don't necessarily have to pick the device up, you can use these gestures when it is laying down as well

Can you?
I've never been able to use the HTC gestures without lifting the phone first.
With that screen on/off app I have to tape the screen multiple times to turn it on when the phone is on the desk but it does work (eventually.)
Turning off the screen that app works perfectly, I guess with the HTC gesture interferes with the app doing the same job but with different requirements when turning the screen on.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Can you?
I've never been able to use the HTC gestures without lifting the phone first.
With that screen on/off app I have to tape the screen multiple times to turn it on when the phone is on the desk but it does work (eventually.)
Turning off the screen that app works perfectly, I guess with the HTC gesture interferes with the app doing the same job but with different requirements when turning the screen on.

In my experience, when the phone has been laying still, just double tapping the screen (or any other gesture) will not work to wake the phone. However, if I move the phone (even slightly) the gesture works first time - every time. I suppose it needs some movement to wake the sensors from sleep in order to recognize the motion gesture.

haevolution

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

I don't mind the power button being on top and can reach it just wish it was a bit bigger and maybe stuck out a bit. Having said that I've gotten used to it and hit it first try usually with the reach up index finger method. After putting this awesome case on it (clear so I can still enjoy the aesthetics of the phone) it is even easier to find it.

Key Case Slim Hardshell

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

In my experience, when the phone has been laying still, just double tapping the screen (or any other gesture) will not work to wake the phone. However, if I move the phone (even slightly) the gesture works first time - every time. I suppose it needs some movement to wake the sensors from sleep in order to recognize the motion gesture.

It does need motion. Even the slightest bit. That's why when the little help screen pops up for each motion the first time you use the phone, it says to pick the phone up in portrait mode and double tap(or swipe). And in the setting it says that too. Also, hence the name, motion launch. It still works sometimes without motion. And I wish you could always do it whenever, without motion.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
It does need motion. Even the slightest bit. That's why when the little help screen pops up for each motion the first time you use the phone, it says to pick the phone up in portrait mode and double tap(or swipe). And in the setting it says that too. Also, hence the name, motion launch. It still works sometimes without motion. And I wish you could always do it whenever, without motion.

I just tested it multiple times with the phone lying completely flat on a table. Double tap to wake and double tap to sleep worked every time. You could argue that tapping causes slight motion due to the curved back, but it still works nonetheless

mchockeyvette27

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
I just tested it multiple times with the phone lying completely flat on a table. Double tap to wake and double tap to sleep worked every time. You could argue that tapping causes slight motion due to the curved back, but it still works nonetheless

Yeah and I've been able to do so as well. But there are times when it doesn't work. But the feature is definitely worth it non the less and I'm glad its there.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah and I've been able to do so as well. But there are times when it doesn't work. But the feature is definitely worth it non the less and I'm glad its there.

I hear ya, in the times when the double tap to wake didn't work, sliding up always did for me. I agree, motion launch makes it a whole lot easier to use the phone and I'm really glad it's there

raichur0xx0rz

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/06/ge6ase7a.jpg not sure if you guys knew this but you can swipe up from the home button and use that app to sleep.

You know, I was always wondering why you would do that... But it is actually more convenient for those who do not use Google Now, or are okay with setting Google Now to another gesture with Nova, as you can then shut off the screen no matter where you are in the phone.

With Nova Launcher/third party launcher gestures, you have to be on a homescreen to activate the gesture.

I think I'll try this out for a while and then see how it is... I don't use Google Now that much, but we'll see.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

I hate where the power button is, but it's not an issue until I go to put it to sleep. I'm use to double tapping, because I'm coming from a G2, so I'm glad they built that feature in. I just wished they had gone ahead and built in the double tap to turn off the screen. Then I wouldn't care where the power button is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332