Honor 8X music not showing up in clock for alarm tune, same for phone ringtone

Mikey AK

Jan 16, 2020
Visit site
My problem is I can't choose custom music for my alarm or timer with the stock clock app because when I go to the Music (on storage) option it says "No music." There is music on my phone, I used to be able to choose music and I had alarms with custom ringtones but after I cleared data and cache on the app to try to fix it the alarms are gone so I'm stuck with stock ringtones now. I have a custom song set for my ringtone when I get called, but the phone app has the same problem so I won't mess with that.

I have the Honor 8X Max global version if that's important. I have tried to disable and block privileges from as much of the Huawei spyware as possible. Clock has full privileges.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Ringtones have to be in a folder named Ringtones (case matters). Alarms have to be in Alarms, and notification tones have to be in Notifications. (You can put these folders in the Music folder and it will still work in most phones.)

Mikey AK

Jan 16, 2020
Visit site
Unfortunately, this didn't work. I put the mp3 file in Honor 8X Max/Internal storage/Alarms and restarted the phone and it didn't show up. All my music is in Honor 8X Max/Internal storage/Music and when I first got the phone, it was all available and set custom ringtones and alarm tones. That's why I had the alarms set before resetting the clock app, and now it's not finding any music on storage, nor is it letting me browse for it. I've searched through some threads and tried a few things with no luck. One thread suggested finding a .nomedia file and deleting it, I found about 20 of them on my phone but none in folders that seemed obviously related to alarms and ringtones.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Unfortunately, this didn't work. I put the mp3 file in Honor 8X Max/Internal storage/Alarms and restarted the phone and it didn't show up. All my music is in Honor 8X Max/Internal storage/Music and when I first got the phone, it was all available and set custom ringtones and alarm tones. That's why I had the alarms set before resetting the clock app, and now it's not finding any music on storage, nor is it letting me browse for it. I've searched through some threads and tried a few things with no luck. One thread suggested finding a .nomedia file and deleting it, I found about 20 of them on my phone but none in folders that seemed obviously related to alarms and ringtones.
How about downloading the custom ringtones again see if they pop up as a option?

Mikey AK

Jan 16, 2020
Visit site
None of this music was downloaded from the phone, I added it from my computer via USB drag-and-drop. But, to test this, I went to Firefox and downloaded an mp3 into the Downloads folder. Pi Music Player recognized it immediately, but not the clock app, even after restarting. Once again, this wasn't an issue when I first got the phone, all my mp3 files showed up in the Music (On Storage) tab.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
None of this music was downloaded from the phone, I added it from my computer via USB drag-and-drop. But, to test this, I went to Firefox and downloaded an mp3 into the Downloads folder. Pi Music Player recognized it immediately, but not the clock app, even after restarting. Once again, this wasn't an issue when I first got the phone, all my mp3 files showed up in the Music (On Storage) tab.
Those that you just download are in download folder ? Can you move them to music folder ? Or create one

Mikey AK

Jan 16, 2020
Visit site
All my music is in Honor 8X Max/Internal storage/Music. If this isn't the "Music" folder, then I don't know what is. All of it was added to my phone via USB from my computer. None of it was downloaded from the phone. However, I wanted to test your suggestion, so I downloaded an mp3 file from the mobile browser directly onto the phone. Pi Music Player recognized it immediately, but the clock app still showed "No Music" under "Music (On Storage)."

Again, when I first got the phone, all my mp3 files appeared and I could select one for alarm tones and ringtones. Now nothing shows up.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
All my music is in Honor 8X Max/Internal storage/Music. If this isn't the "Music" folder, then I don't know what is. All of it was added to my phone via USB from my computer. None of it was downloaded from the phone. However, I wanted to test your suggestion, so I downloaded an mp3 file from the mobile browser directly onto the phone. Pi Music Player recognized it immediately, but the clock app still showed "No Music" under "Music (On Storage)."

Again, when I first got the phone, all my mp3 files appeared and I could select one for alarm tones and ringtones. Now nothing shows up.
Gotcha, not sure what else to try let's see if anyone else can chime in .

Mikey AK

Jan 16, 2020
Visit site
Found the source of the problem (a month later), Themes needed Storage permissions. Like I said, I had disabled as much of the Huawei spyware as possible. Just adding that in case anyone finds it and it helps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tudi23