How can I get my Samsung Galaxy Tap Pro 8.4 out of a boot loop?

LeanMeanT

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Rapid Rebooting issue Samsung Galaxy Tap Pro 8.4

My Tab Pro has started shutting down and rebooting itself in a continuous loop. Once it starts, I cannot turn it off...it powers down and starts to reboot but doesn't get all the way to the lock screen (original orange swirly screen you swipe to begin) before shutting down again and restarting, over and over. So, I close the cover and plug it in and give it a time-out...and hope it regains its senses. This started a couple of months ago while scrolling through my pictures gallery and occasionally when using the camera. Then it started happening randomly while using it, then when I simply opened the cover to wake it. The orange screen would appear ever so briefly but before I could swipe, it would shut down and go into the loop. This happens now at power levels of 56%, though I first noticed it would happen at power levels around 30%. My battery did die completely shortly after I first started using my Tab (almost a year ago) and I was able to bring it back to life via usb trickle charge (it took a couple of days, but it worked).
I've seen a few suggestions for trouble-shooting/fixing such as removing the SD card (which I have done and still it randomly reboots), operating in Safe Mode for a couple of days to see if 3rd party apps are to blame, and going into Recovery Mode and wiping the cache partition, and then also Factory Reset. I am nervous about wiping and resetting so I have not done that yet (nor Safe Mode).
I would appreciate any instructions and suggestions (help).
Does anyone have the same issue and if so, what worked for you? Thank you!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Rapid Rebooting issue Samsung Galaxy Tap Pro 8.4

Welcome to Android Central! Try booting into Recovery Mode and wiping the cache partition, which won't erase any personal data. Follow the steps in this video, but instead of selecting Wipe Data/Factory Reset, make sure you select Wipe Cache Partition. When complete, then select Reboot System Now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Ji2H4G9EU

LeanMeanT

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Thank you B. Diddy. I wiped the cache partition as you mentioned above and rebooted, and it shut down and went into rebooting loop within 5 minutes of using it for the first time afterward. Next step? I'd rather not send it away, but I believe it's still under warranty, so I guess I'll call Samsung.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ugh.:-\ You've pretty much done all you can, I think. I agree with warranty repair. Good luck!

LeanMeanT

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Update: I called Samsung, did a factory reset and wiped the cache partition, and it's all better. I did just get a reboot loop yesterday, but when I plugged it in I saw that the battery was almost gone. Since recharging, it's been fine.

LeanMeanT

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Update, it's started doing the boot loop again. I'm going to do the factory reset and wipe the cache partition again after I back everything up. Ugghh.

anon(18763)

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site

For what is worth, I'm having the same issue. I did an fdr but guess I will try wiping the cache. Seems to be a fairly common problem with this tablet. I bought it refurbished and that warranty is over by now. I thought it may have something to do with battery voltage fluctuating but honestly not sure. I may look into doing a battery swap myself if I can find instructions online

Posted via the Android Central App

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Having the same problem once the battery level goes below 38% or so, but have not tried fixes yet. This website lists three troubleshooting steps, two of which have already been mentioned above:How to Fix the Samsung Galaxy Tab Reboot Loop (Note, I just discovered the directions for entering recovery mode stated at the url don't work on this tablet--see video linked by B Diddy above instead).

I have also read a claim on the Internet that this stems from a battery power connection that deteriorates over time and needs to be re-soldered. Whatever it is, it seems to be a widespread problem among Samsung and/or android devices, so seems to be some sort of inherent product defect. Some company ought to be responsible for selling what seem to be defective products, and fixing it free of charge. But hard to know who that is at this point.

Last edited:

Jamydave

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi I have tab pro 12 inch and tab 8.0 both around 2 years old with below average usage. Both going into start up loop at around 50% battery level. I followed video how to remove battery contact. On the note 8.0 I didn't notice anything unusual, however on the 12.0 I noticed the 2 black wires came out of the holder when I released the battery. I pushed the back then put back together. Miraculously both are working fine and going to 1% charge. Done around 5 cycle on both and are fixed.

LaToya Williams1

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site

I had the same problem, I did a hard reset, clear Cache and reflashed with no success! The one thing that did fix it was replacing the battery. It's working perfectly now!

caylan1

Jul 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi I had the same problem. Factory reset and clearing the cache didn't work. It has been reported that the fault was a sticky power switch or bad battery connection. I can confirm that resetting the battery connector to the motherboard worked for me. When I built it back together I noted that the power switch was much smoother so I am not sure which one was the problem. Thanks to all who suggested the above solutions.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

I also replaced the battery and it works like it did out of the box. What I think is happening is that the battery meter does not match the actual battery left. So it says 68% but it's really zero, so it shuts down. Then it boots up because it thinks there's battery left then shuts down again. It will happen over and over again until it's plugged in.

I bought an aftermarket battery with kit for $13 shipped off ebay. Changing the battery was pretty easy. Since I bought my wife a tab S2 as a replacement, the Tab pro is my full time tablet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred