How can I lock the settings so they can't get changed accidentally?

RedneckDad13

Feb 19, 2023
Visit site
Mother in law has a moto g play(2021) on verizon. Unsure of the version of software. But she is in a nursing home and does not have great finger control or dexterity, plus does not see that well. In the past month or so I have had to go by and fix her phone because when she's grabbing it or trying to look at the weather or answering a call or something she accidentally turns on do not disturb, turns the volume all the way down, turns the ringer off, and messes up her home screen.

Is there a way to lock the settings and screen and turn off the side buttons and lock the home screen layout without affecting her ability to answer and make calls or swipe through her screens to see the calendar and weather?

Thank you for any advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Some device have option to lock but in quick panel settings move toggle to next page so don't accidentally touch them like do not disturb or guest mode .

I'll leave a Link to register so you can communicate here , As a guest account you can only post questions but can't reply.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=409154

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Duplicate threads merged.

In terms of locking the homescreen setup, see if there's a native option in the stock launcher settings by long-pressing any empty part of the homescreen and tap Settings or Home Settings. If there is no native option, you could install a 3rd party launcher like Nova which does allow you to lock it.

Not sure about something that can prevent the volume buttons from muting the phone without completely taking away her ability to adjust the volume, though.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
In terms of locking the homescreen setup, see if there's a native option in the stock launcher settings by long-pressing any empty part of the homescreen and tap Settings or Home Settings. If there is no native option, you could install a 3rd party launcher like Nova which does allow you to lock it.

I am inclined to agree with Nova using a lock.

Not sure about something that can prevent the volume buttons from muting the phone without completely taking away her ability to adjust the volume, though.

For the OP, Not necessarily B.Diddy:

Tasker probably could do it. However, this would involve (I'm guessing) at least 3 or 4 If this then that kind of statements: If volume press bring up pin pad. The pseudocode would be something like this:

Code:
if (volumedown press) {

then bring up PIN
        if(PIN code accepted) {
            open settings
        }
}

Now Tasker isn't all code. There are a lot of actions (or objects) that can be picked from lists, and follow up actions to be taken. But a little bit of programming logic is needed. You would need one decision statement for each button (you could do it all in one, but that compounds the logic and can confuse beginners), and if there is a logic error you would need to disable the task in Tasker and try to troubleshoot where everything went wrong.

However, there may be some other apps that are bit more user friendly, however, I am not aware of any. Tasker can seem daunting to anyone with little to no coding experience. I honestly would suggest trying to find an easier app to lock down these functions.