How do I disable the unsafe volume warning?

Maisy P

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
This is on the nexus 7 so I'm not sure about any other devices...
Go to settings, then under Device, click sound. At the top of the menu, it will say volume, click on that. Slide the slider that says music and games and slide to 100%. After this, try your sound out on YouTube or BBC iPlayer, (doesn't really matter) and you should no longer get the message. This is how is worked for me! Hope it helped.

eeleechan

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Tuned up on max volume and no warning on mine. I don't think the problem is geological or even network related, but I don't know how to disable it though. I'm in the UK, btw.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Kaya Ozalp

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Have the same issue, Galaxy Nexus 4.2.1

I think this is headphone related as well, My previous headphones had an impedance of 18-20 Ohms, new ones are 30, hence I need to use a higher volume level.

George Novak

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Like most "features" this stupid message was added by request. I don't know who would be dumb enough to want something like this, but the best way to remove it is by similar request.
I'm asking everyone to submit a feature change request to Google, and bombard them until the comply. Here is the site link:
https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/entry?template=Feature request

Ask your friends to help, and spread the work via email, facebook, and twitter. The quicker we act, the faster this will happen.

Cheers,
George

leeloo67

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Annoying me now too. In Raleigh, NC, USA on 4.2.1. Had a N7 for a month and the warning hits several times per day. The trouble is, I use the headphone jack at max volume run into my computer speakers, and into my car stereo. The warning is particularly annoying in the car because when I get the warning, it pauses whatever music I was playing. And as it has a touch screen so can't "fumble for the knobs" while driving - have to wait until I stop so I can look down at the tablet. I rarely use headphones so this is getting really old. I sometimes watch Netflix for a few minutes in bed at night (but with headphones) and it does the same thing - pauses my movie. Tried setting the master at max volume but now I just get the warning at lower relative volume.

Tommy_Berry

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
N7 here.. get this every time i plug any jack into the 3.5mm output, really annoying. Having this nanny nag is annoying as hell.

Love to find a solution.. i purchased several root sound apps.. non have removed it like i wished they would.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I get something similar in my gs3. Just shows up on the bottom. But don't have to hit anything for it to go away

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Well, everyone, I think I understand what goes on here.

For those of you who know exactly what (brand & model) headphones/earbuds you are using, can you look up their impedance rating and post it in this thread including whether or not you are getting the unsafe volume warning?

I just reviewed some buds online and found a high-end Koss set at 8 ohms impedance, lower end Koss at 16 ohms and some other cheapos at as high as 23 ohms. As you can read here Headphones for Dummies - All you'd ever need to know about headphones: Headphone 101, a headset's impedance directly impacts the maximum volume output (at the ear) given the same power input (at the jack). More than likely the Nexus 4 can sense the impedance of a connected headset and knows when the impedance is such that "unsafe" volume levels are possible.

So, I am guessing that we will see a substantial difference in the impedance of headsets which are causing the warning message vs. those that do not.

jbrossard

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'd love an answer to this too. It only happens when using headphones and is very annoying, particularly in Netflix as it pauses the playback.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah apparently the only way to get rid of this warning is to flash another rom. Very annoying.

masqueofhastur

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
It wouldn't make much sense to let you easily disable a safety feature. I'm sure there's some thought about liability in that feature.

elesbb

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I have successfully removed this warning message completely from my android 4.2.1 stock TF300T ROM. I can remove it from anything. Just hit me up over on xda developers. Not sure if this is important over here. But just figured i would share.

Richard W

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I get the same message on my Australian Galaxy S4.

If you turn the volume down below the warning level and then back again it prompts you with the message each time and you have to click okay before the volume increases.

a real pain.

tcjohnsson

May 20, 2013
Visit site
It's very easy to duplicate this message on my S4. I use PowerAmp to play music.

1) Open player and play song
2) Turn volume to 50% or lower
3) Lock phone screen (press right side button)
4) Raise the volume rocker to above 50% and voila, there is the message.

The message prompts you to either "cancel" or "OK", both of which do the exact same thing. A way to bypass the pop up is to hold down the right side lock button for a few seconds and the message will disappear and be replaced with "Device options" where you can power off, restart, etc. Just press the volume rocker up from there and you are in business (volume rocker will allow you to go above 60% now) It's still annoying but at least I don't have to pull my phone out of my pocket to look at my screen every time I want to listen to my music.

Toan KH

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I used my AKG K240 on my Nexus 4 - CarbonROM Nightly v.June 5th Franco kernel'ed. These headphones are 55Ohms, even when the volume knob is at the maximum, it doesn't sound that loud. I don't think it has any relation with headphone's impedance. I live in Canada and this happens to me. Annoying! :-\:-\:-\

Jeembo2k

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I get something similar in my gs3. Just shows up on the bottom. But don't have to hit anything for it to go away

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums
I get the same thing on my GS3. It's annoying because every time I put my phone in my car cradle, I have to remember to turn the volume up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OSCAR DE BUG