How do I enable offline voice typing on Samsung A52/Android 11

W Walter

Jun 4, 2022
Visit site
I am not very experienced using Android. I have just setup a new Samsung A52 cannot get voice typing to work in offline (airplane) mode. Regardless of the app I am using, when I have to enter text using voice typing I get the message "Didn't catch that. Try speaking again."

In the Permissions settings, I have "allow apps to use the microphone" enabled.

In the Keyboard List, "Google Voice Typing" and "Google Voice Typing Legacy" is enabled.
Initially, "Samsung Voice Typing" was also enabled, however I have disabled it in an effort to solve this problem, but without success.

In the main Google app, under Settings > Voice > Offline Speech Recognition, English is installed.

There must be something I am overlooking. I would be grateful for any help.

W Walter

Jun 4, 2022
Visit site
Thanks Mustang, for the feedback. I have checked and re-checked the settings>general management>language and English is listed as an offline language. I have selected English, but still I am not able to use voice typing offline.

I saw a video on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiH-QPzfOX4 Google Translate - Offline Translation Not Working on Android [Fix]) that suggests Samsung has an unusual way of storing certain files. According to the video this can result in Android not being able to find the downloaded voice files to use. Could this have anything to do with this problem?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thanks Mustang, for the feedback. I have checked and re-checked the settings>general management>language and English is listed as an offline language. I have selected English, but still I am not able to use voice typing offline.

I saw a video on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiH-QPzfOX4 Google Translate - Offline Translation Not Working on Android [Fix]) that suggests Samsung has an unusual way of storing certain files. According to the video this can result in Android not being able to find the downloaded voice files to use. Could this have anything to do with this problem?
Try here in general management settings
Screenshot_20220605-191154_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20220605-191200_Speech%20Services%20by%20Google.jpg

W Walter

Jun 4, 2022
Visit site
Try here in general management settings

Mustang, I apologize for not responding sooner. I have had so much to do during the past few days.

I have gone into Settings>General Management>Text-To-Speech Output>Preferred Engine>Install Voice Data.

I have the “Use Wi-Fi Only” setting turned off, which should allow the data to be installed using my mobile data plan. However, when I look in the notification area, the following message appears:

“Waiting for available network”

I have a good 4G signal and can browse the internet, but the above error still persists.

I have rebooted the phone, but still the “Waiting for available network” keeps showing in the notification area.

In an effort to correct this, I tapped the down arrow next to the notification and apparently cancelled the download outright.

Is there any setting I can change so that I can download the data file? It seems strange that it has to wait for a connection, even when a good 4G signal is available.