How do I enable wifi calling if no option to do so?

sfeinbe

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
I have two 910A phones. One has kitkat the other has lollipop. Although both were AT&T phones they are now on the Consumer Cellular network. Purchased used, I've elected not to update either by using Debloater to disable updates (I'd rather not get into a long debate about why I've elected not to update the OS to the latest version).

The attached screenshot from the AT&T website shows how to enable WiFi calling on a N910A. That option is not available on either of my phones.

How do I enable wifi calling? Do I need to upgrade to marshmallow or later? I'm using Google Hangouts right now, which works, but I'd still be interested to know how to enable it in settings. If it's possible.

My question is related to a larger problem I have. Cell signal strength is poor within my residence. I have a landline phone that I'd like to discontinue in favor of a Note 4, but can't because of signal strength. I believe that if I can enable wifi calling on even one phone I could finally discontinue my landline service. Hangouts, while useful, won't work in this regard. Or at least I haven't figured out how to do so.

I'd appreciate input on this! Thanks!

Attachments

• wifi calling screenshot.jpg
    wifi calling screenshot.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 34

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
It varies by carrier but it needs to be enabled by your provider, and I don't think everyone offers it.

I know with Verizon, you need a Verizon certified device. The WiFi calling settings were added to phones via a software update for older models and new ones still need to have it installed. Verizon literally modifies the settings menu on their phones.

sfeinbe

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the replies! I just contacted Consumer Cellular to see if they offer Wifi Calling. I hope I don't have to update the OS.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The 910A is AT&T's variant. I think they introduced WiFi calling in AT&T's build of 6.0.1 on that variant.

Consumer Cellular uses both AT&T and T-Mobile and you'd have to know which carrier's variant of WiFi Calling they are offering. The 910A specifically works ONLY with AT&T's implementation of WiFi calling.

Having said all that, I have a 910A on 6.0.1, using it on AT&T - and WiFi calling works great.

sfeinbe

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
So it's the version 6 update. I still haven't heard back from Consumer Cellular, but thanks for the info!

I was wondering, if I allowed an update will it update to version 6 or all the way to 7? Does it do it in increments or all the way to the latest?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
That really depends on how Samsung has chosen to deploy the update. Some devices update incrementally, requiring every update to be installed before the next one. Some will "roll up" the update and only need the most recent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174