How do I fix the 'Unfortunatey, camera has stopped working' error?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

This may be a long post, but I'm at my wits end trying to solve this issue, and have been researching online all day.
Today, I tried to open my camera app, which comes with the phone (htc desire 626) and was instantly returned to the home screen with the 'unfortunateley, camera has stopped working' error.
I attempted to use the camera through a social media app, (kik) the screen went black as though trying to access the camera. Then the app crashed and read 'unfortunateley, kik has stopped working'. Not an uncommon occurence with the kik app being tempremental at the best of times. I also tried to access my flash light app which instead sits on a loading screen going nowhere.
So far what Ive attempted is:
1) Cleared cache and data from camera app.
2) Restarted phone in safe mode to remove third party app interference
3) cleared cache and data from gallery app
4) Uninstalled kik and attempted to open the camera and flashlight- No avail either.
5) Checked for system updates or app updates- none needed.
6) Ran a diagnostics check on the phones light sensor through the htc help on the phone.
7) Cleared cache and data of the Flashlight app
8) Installed a third party camera app incase the original app had some software go corrupt or awry
9) Moved images from internal storage to SD card incase it was a storage issue
10) Had a peek at the back of the phone without the cover on. Understood nothing.

I have tried turning it off and on again. Numerously. And after each tried solution I checked the camera (original and newly installed third party apps) and flashlight apps, which reacted in exactly the same way.

I began to wonder if it is hardware related, but neither the front facing nor rear camera are opening, the whole app just errors. I have not recently jarred nor dropped my phone and yesterday I did a storage clear up so only 11.35GB is in use out of the 16.00GB total.

Any more ideas would be a great help. Ive heard of people trying to manually adjust the lens which fixes the issue but the back of the phone looks like the terminator to me, and I'd probably do more damage than good.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej