How do I increase the "media volume" while on a call with someone (galaxy s10)?

nanochick

Jun 26, 2020
Visit site
Every morning, my boyfriend calls me on our car on his hour drive to work, but we often don't talk unless it is to ask a question/emergency. While on the call, I usually watch YouTube videos or go on Twitter on my phone, however, the volume of the video is always very quiet, whether I have him on speaker or regular volume, and while the media volume is set to the highest setting (after click the volume up button, hitting the drop box, and dragging the media volume all the way up). The media volume increases when I increase the call volume, but it doesn't help, since the sound of the car (especially since he has me on Bluetooth) also increases. I do not want him to mute though, in case there is an emergency.

I don't have any Bluetooth devices to try to connect my phone to unfortunately, and using my headphones didn't work. Is there a setting I can go to, to make the media volume louder when it is on the loudest setting for in a call, or it is just impossible?

Additionally, I also went into "Sounds and vibration", clicked on "Volume", clicked on the 3 dots in the top right and went to "Media volume limit" and tried to drag that all the way up, but it didn't work (I assume it only applies to headphones and Bluetooth then).

I am running android version 10 and have a galaxy s10+.

This is my first time using this forum, so I tried to be as specific as possible, as well as list what I've already done to troubleshoot. I've made an account though, so please ask me questions necessary to help me, and I will try to respond quickly.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That might not be possible if he's calling you via conventional cell call. Maybe you can try a different calling platform, like Skype or FB Messenger, and see if the media volume behaves differently.

BTW, just to be clear, you're at home while he's calling you from his car, correct? On my first read, it sounded like you were in a car as well.

nanochick

Jun 26, 2020
Visit site
Hi, thank you for the response. That's correct, I'm at home while he's in the car since I work later in the day. I was afraid that it might be impossible but that is a very good suggestion to use another platform to call, I never thought of that. Since reading your reply, I tried using Google voice and it works! My media volume is playing normally.

Thanks a lot for your help!