How do I root a Samsung Galaxy Light?

A

AC Question

Hello. I bought a used T-Mobile branded "Samsung Galaxy Light SGH-T399" and I'd like to root it to remove the useless to me T-Mobile and Samsung apps that come pre-installed. I have some technical knowledge, and I've already looked into a few rooting methods:
- towelroot gives the message that the phone is not supported.
- Odin repeatedly fails to upload TWRP Recovery and LightwaveV3 to the phone.
- I'm not sure how to use Heimdall, but I wouldn't be surprised if it would fail like Odin.
- I've heard KingoRoot is untrustworthy
- A method which I can no longer find attempts to allow `odin shell` root access after running a script on the phone. This fails.
-SRSRoot didn't work, either:
- "SmartRoot not possible yet"
- "Executing root8 exploit failed"
- I can't try any of the methods with Recovery Mode because the Windows 7 computer I'm using doesn't recognize the phone when it's in recovery mode "Windows stopped this device because it reported an error (code 43)."

What am I doing wrong? Or is this phone for some reason exceptionally difficult to root?

asdfadf

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
I resolved the error with the device not being detected when it's in recovery mode. However, this doesn't allow SRSRoot to device.
pastebin of the output SRSRoot gives: https://paste.ubuntu.com/25372510/
If I keep rebooting the device in recovery mode (I find I have to select the adb update option for the device to show up on the computer) and running SRSRoot, the last section repeats.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The first SRS entry at 5:27:29 tells the whole SRS story - they don't have a root method for the Galaxy Light. The root attempt after that is a "let's just see if this works" try - and it didn't.

Search on XDA Forums to see if anyone's rooted that phone on 4.4.2 yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174