How does Android determine how to open a file?

pollensa1946

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
How does Android determine how to open a file? I ask because I have downloaded some PDFs and when I go into the Downloads folder I see that all of them, other than one, are marked with the Adobe Reader symbol and Android offers a choice of Adobe Reader or Quick Office and opens the file OK using either. The one exception is a file with extension .pdf but no symbol and Android flashes a message saying "Cannot open file" when I click on it.
Yet when I go into a file explorer app (Total Commander) the rogue file opens OK in both Adobe and Quick Office, and if I upload that file to my Windows PC it again opens OK in Adobe. So I assume that Android does not simply examine the file extension, there is something in the file content that tells Android how to open it. Or what?

Bryant goodman

Mar 30, 2015
Visit site
How does Android determine how to open a file? I ask because I have downloaded some PDFs and when I go into the Downloads folder I see that all of them, other than one, are marked with the Adobe Reader symbol and Android offers a choice of Adobe Reader or Quick Office and opens the file OK using either. The one exception is a file with extension .pdf but no symbol and Android flashes a message saying "Cannot open file" when I click on it.
Yet when I go into a file explorer app (Total Commander) the rogue file opens OK in both Adobe and Quick Office, and if I upload that file to my Windows PC it again opens OK in Adobe. So I assume that Android does not simply examine the file extension, there is something in the file content that tells Android how to open it. Or what?