How Does Google Play Movies and TV Work?

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
for example, if you rent a movie on google play, does it stream to your device when you want to watch? or do you download it? my main concern is being able to view tv and movies while offline if i'm not around a wifi connection.

crwallace2

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
It is set to stream by default, however you have the ability to "pin" it to our device which will download it for offline viewing. (while pinned it cannot be viewed on other devices however)

music_man185

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
ok, so you have the option to download onto your device or stream? could it be streamed to a tv through an hdmi cable or media dock when i'm ready to watch?

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I was just wondering the same thing today. I haven't ever ordered movies through Google Play, so I don't know much about it. I do know I can stream local video, music, pictures from my SGS3 to my PS3, so I was wondering about this content, through DLNA WiFi. Or alternatively, is it possible to hook up a mini USB to HDMI cord and watch them that way? It looks like movies through Google Play are a buck cheaper than Shaw VOD. Feel free to post a link to additional info if you already know of one, thanks.

mandopicker101

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
You can indeed stream to your device and watch on a TV. Works pretty well. For best effect, download to your device then play. I've done this a few times using my tablet.

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Android Central Forums

sledge007

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
So when you "rent" a movie, it will let you download to the device, and then wipe itself....is that how that works? I have Shaw Broadband 50Mbps by the way, that wouldn't be fast enough?

mandopicker101

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi

Once you start watching, you get 48 hours to finish your film. Then it's disabled as an option. A 50mbps connection should definitely be fine...depends on wifi signal where you want to watch it I guess. Also depends on your device too. For optimal movie pleasure I usually only have the video app running.

For example, our router is on its way out and we have 17-20Mbps. Generally it works fine streamed, but I usually download to avoid hassle with contention at peak times (we're still on ADSL).

So, just to be explicit, yes you can download to your device. Its an option in Google Play Movies. Doing so means you can only watch on that device ( i.e. no streaming to, say, a desktop PC if it's on your tablet) but you can 'undo' this option and go back to streaming.

Sent from my ARCHOS 80G9 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

kach474

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Side question. I have a bionic rooted with ICS leak. I can rent and purchase movies fine on this device. My question is when I download a movie I have purchased I am able to find it with a root explorer but if I copy the file and put it on my SD card and change the file ext it will play but only the first 10 seconds or so then stops.

I understand not wanted people stealing rented movies but if I purchased the movie I would like to put it on my PC. Anyone know a way around this?

Thanks.

Sent from my HTC_Flyer_P512_NA using Android Central Forums

amadeus303

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead... but I have a slightly different question and am hoping someone knows the answer. Most of the people attempting to move purchased movies to their SD card are trying to change file extensions, etc., presumably with the desire to play movies on *any* device. I just want to play it on one of my other phones or tablets where I have the Play movies app installed and signed into my account... the same account that I used to purchase my content. I swap phones from time to time (sim card and sd card) depending on where I'm traveling, and I don't want to have to "unpin" on my Note 2, and then "re-pin/download" on my Bionic. It takes a good amount of time to DL a movie even with a good wifi connection. Anyone figured something out?

If I purchased a movie from Google Play, is there any way to download it to the SD car

Side question. I have a bionic rooted with ICS leak. I can rent and purchase movies fine on this device. My question is when I download a movie I have purchased I am able to find it with a root explorer but if I copy the file and put it on my SD card and change the file ext it will play but only the first 10 seconds or so then stops.

I understand not wanted people stealing rented movies but if I purchased the movie I would like to put it on my PC. Anyone know a way around this?

Thanks.

Sent from my HTC_Flyer_P512_NA using Android Central Forums

dakunclear

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to make this clear the rental period is good for 48 hours as said on Google play store website and you can download the movie you bought on up to 5 devices at a time that's also on the Google play store conditions but here is the exact copied from the store itself.

Google Play Help
Download purchased videos on multiple devices
When you purchase a movie or TV show, you have the option to stream the video or download it for offline viewing without an Internet connection.

Each purchased video can be downloaded on five different devices at a time. If you want to download one of your videos to a sixth device, you'll first need to remove the download from one of the original five devices. If you no longer have access to one of the original five devices (e.g. you lost it), please contact us.

jeff jarvis

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I used to be able to stream videos from my Android phone to my TV. For some reason I can no longer do so. When I connect my Razor MAX HD Phone to my TV I can view my mirrored screen on my television. However when I start to play a movie that I downloaded from Goggle Play the screen goes fuzzy on both my phone and TV, but I still have sound. Is there something that I have possibly changed on my phone or has goggle changed the ability to do this in an update?

Katrina Santistevan

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
ok I'm a fan of keeping things simple if you can. So here's my question I have a Samsung Galaxy note 3 with android version 3.4. I bought a movie (not rented) and downloaded to my device. I'm not interested in changing format or even moving it to another device. I'm only interested in not clogging all my internal storage with movies so I bought an sd card. It is mounted and formatted and I've already moved my pics so I know it works fine. Is there a way to move the video to the sd card as well?

SdTraveler

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi. I have the exact same question. I downloaded two movies from google play believing I could transfer them to my sd card. Instead, they are using up about a gb of internal memory, and I can't figure out how to transfer them. If I can't transfer them, then what's the point of downloading them at all? Aren't I better off just playing them on google play and not downloading them? Have you been able to figure out these answers? Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The reason to download a movie to your device (i.e. "Keep on Device") is to allow you to watch the movie at a later time if you don't have a good internet connection. If you could transfer the movie to an SD card, then it would only be a few easy steps to start distributing the movie illegally, which Google obviously would like to prevent.

bob smith22

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
You keep saying YES its possible to download the movies from google play onto device / phone, but that's NOT what the question was asked. They asked Specifically if you could download RENTED movies to your device / phone. you keep leaving that part out. So we are unclear on that still. I don't think its possible, but i have been wrong in the past ( someone correct me if i'm wrong).

Mdziegiel

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
So basically you are buying a movie. That you pay for . And you can't transfer it or watch on another device unless your streaming it. Then way pay for the movie and not just buy the full copy? There is not point in paying for a movie if you want watch it where and when you want to. Even apple lets you download a copy to your desktop to watch on there devices whenever online or offline.

jaydee5799

Q&A Team
Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
so i bought a movie and downloaded it to my device on my SD card. How do i remove it from my internal memory?? i can't find it anywhere on my SD card. Anyone know which directory it's in?

Mom Of 7

Dec 31, 2016
Visit site
You keep saying YES its possible to download the movies from google play onto device / phone, but that's NOT what the question was asked. They asked Specifically if you could download RENTED movies to your device / phone. you keep leaving that part out. So we are unclear on that still. I don't think its possible, but i have been wrong in the past ( someone correct me if i'm wrong).

Directly from Google Play help:

Rented videos
You can download movies and shows you've rented to one device at a time. Once you've downloaded a video to a device, you won't be able to stream or download it to another before removing it from the first device.

Here's how to remove a video:

Open the Google Play Movies & TV app Google Play Movies.
Next to a downloaded video, touch the red check mark .
If you don’t have your old devices or removing your video(s) doesn't solve the problem, contact our support team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201