how is MAXX doing?

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
My son is going to get his first phone, deciding between the MAXX and the LG G2.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Well he is 12, so I don't see any reason to buy him the latest and greatest. I have the V10.

And yes both of those phones are from 2013 so they can be had for about $100.

jmanches42

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
The Maxx is still a great phone. I just got rid of mine for the turbo 2, but still use it as a WiFi device. It runs smooth and has a great battery. For what you want to do with it, I would recommend it.

kwadguy

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Don't listen to the snobs. The Droid Maxx is a great phone: Excellent battery life, responsive, and the active display it shares with only one other phone (the Moto X 2013) is fantastic. It also offers wireless Qi charging. The main drawback to this phone is the camera, which is only mediocre.

The phone is stuck on KitKat 4.4.4 firmware, and most likely that's where it's going to stay. But the active display gives you a better version of the best improvement in Lollipop anyway. IMHO (and I have a Moto X 2013--same phone with smaller screen and battery--that's been updated to Lollipop) the Lollipop update doesn't bring all that much of value, anyway.

I use a Nexus 6 (on Marshmallow) day to day at this point, but I sometimes swap back to the Droid Maxx just for fun and it's still a good phone.

Buy without worry.

rgeese

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Be cautious of getting a "Refurbished" Maxx from Verizon. My wife, age 71 so not abusive in any way, had a new Maxx for about a year when the camera stopped working. She went to Verizon and got a replacement, but it was a refurbished unit. Long story short, she went through three refurbished units in 6 months before giving up and going with a Turbo 2, which she loves. The last Maxx had problems right out of the box.

kwadguy

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Good point about the camera. The camera units in these phones (Droid Maxx and Moto X 2013) have an uncommon, but known, issue where a short can develop rendering the camera inoperable. I know a lot of people with these phones who have never observed this problem, but it is a known issue for these phones. I would not hesitate to buy one of these phones even used or refurbished, but I'd be sure to test out the camera functionality immediately.

Ole Man Dan

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
Be cautious of getting a "Refurbished" Maxx from Verizon. My wife, age 71 so not abusive in any way, had a new Maxx for about a year when the camera stopped working. She went to Verizon and got a replacement, but it was a refurbished unit. Long story short, she went through three refurbished units in 6 months before giving up and going with a Turbo 2, which she loves. The last Maxx had problems right out of the box.

My wifes Maxx died about 2 weeks ago. I bought her a Turbo 2. She loves it.
I like it enough I may buy me one in June when my contract runs out...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali