How is the battery screen time compared to the V20?

pushdrops

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
my take on the v40 two weeks into it after 2 yrs of using the v20 (the G4 prior to the v20)

Just wondering if it is better or worse than the V20?
much higher on the v40 for me so far after two weeks but my v20 battery was the original & used heavily including often using while charging (which I was going to buy a brand new battery so this wasn't a big deal with the v20 though now I'm very careful with the way that I use / charge the v40 since the battery isn't removable). I guess though the v40 is similar in battery / screen time as compared to when my v20 was new (when the battery was new).

I miss the v20 as to me the Quad DAC sounded very different (on the v40 it sounds too bright overall and the "filter" settings which weren't avail on the v20 and not needed as the v20 sounded great with all types of headphones and in our cars simply by enabling the DAC where with the v40 when u enable the DAC it sounds very bright / processed compared to simply enabling the DAC on the v20 .

I also miss the 2nd screen on the v20 though I didn't realize i would I miss it greatly for quickly getting to "settings" or turning on the flashlight as well as using it to play podcasts or control music apps. The 2nd screen was much more than a gimmick after all.

Most of all I miss the normal 16:9 aspect ration of the V20. Like all new phones the v40 is shaped like a cordless phone in that it's long / skinny. Web pages look strange and the keyboard feels cramped when upright and most all content (video) consumed is in 16:9 format not the 19:9 or whatever ratio the new phones feature.

The speaker is a plus on the v40 and the camera seems better in low light than the v20 (I've only really used the normal sensor / lens on the v40 as the wide angle and zoom lenses didn't seem to great after taking a few photo's early on , though the wide angle doesn't seem to stretch items out as much as the v20 wide angle option but the v40 wide angle camera option still like I suppose all wide angle lenses tends to result in a fish bowl effect just not as severe as with the v20).

Overall I'd been 100% more satisfied with a v20 featuring the v40's CPU (SoC) as I really liked the v20 and only moved to the v40 b.c my wife needed a new phone and we were offered a 2 for 1 deal making the v40 "free" (as our plan didn't change plus we received $400 each for her G4 and my v20 towards the 1st v40 making it only $150 and the 2nd v40 free - so two v40's for $150 and she absolutely needed a new phone, it was a great deal but I wish LG offered a v20 with a newer CPU / chipset and would have easily gotten it over the v40 even if the same price!

Actually I'd be happy with even a G4 containing a newer CPU / chipset over the v40 as well. I really miss the normal sized screen (aspect ratio) as I much prefer a slightly wider display over a super tall but skinny display.

The only reason we went with the v40 btw was due to the headphone jack and Quad DAC otherwise I have no loyalty to LG. Plus had I known the Quad DAC sounded so bright / processed compared to the natural sounding excellent v20 quad DAC I'd have looked at other phones with headphone jacks more closely and not went with LG straight away though the very loud speaker on the v40 is a plus for listening to the Android Central and other podcasts btw (as you can sit the phone down on a table for instance and it's very loud which is a plus - I'm not sure how loud the Note 9 speaker is or other similar phones so the v40 for me has the louder speaker for podcast listening going for it as well but overall, I miss the v20 even if not just for the 2nd screen to turn on the flashlight easily, access the alarm clock quickly , control music / podcast players etc .

Oh and the v40 still does NOT have a notification LED which was one of the few negatives on the v20 for me (the always on display on the v40 can indicate a missed call but it doesn't light up / flash like a normal notification LED found on all phones for many years & my wife uses the always on display and it def drains the battery it seems a little more when activated so I don't even use the always on display.

A v20 with a louder speaker, notification light , would be a near perfect phone for me (keeping the useful 2nd screen, removable battery, IR Blaster, great sounding Quad DAC etc

talon1189

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
much higher on the v40 for me so far after two weeks but my v20 battery was the original & used heavily including often using while charging (which I was going to buy a brand new battery so this wasn't a big deal with the v20 though now I'm very careful with the way that I use / charge the v40 since the battery isn't removable). I guess though the v40 is similar in battery / screen time as compared to when my v20 was new (when the battery was new).

I miss the v20 as to me the Quad DAC sounded very different (on the v40 it sounds too bright overall and the "filter" settings which weren't avail on the v20 and not needed as the v20 sounded great with all types of headphones and in our cars simply by enabling the DAC where with the v40 when u enable the DAC it sounds very bright / processed compared to simply enabling the DAC on the v20 .

I also miss the 2nd screen on the v20 though I didn't realize i would I miss it greatly for quickly getting to "settings" or turning on the flashlight as well as using it to play podcasts or control music apps. The 2nd screen was much more than a gimmick after all.

Most of all I miss the normal 16:9 aspect ration of the V20. Like all new phones the v40 is shaped like a cordless phone in that it's long / skinny. Web pages look strange and the keyboard feels cramped when upright and most all content (video) consumed is in 16:9 format not the 19:9 or whatever ratio the new phones feature.

The speaker is a plus on the v40 and the camera seems better in low light than the v20 (I've only really used the normal sensor / lens on the v40 as the wide angle and zoom lenses didn't seem to great after taking a few photo's early on , though the wide angle doesn't seem to stretch items out as much as the v20 wide angle option but the v40 wide angle camera option still like I suppose all wide angle lenses tends to result in a fish bowl effect just not as severe as with the v20).

Overall I'd been 100% more satisfied with a v20 featuring the v40's CPU (SoC) as I really liked the v20 and only moved to the v40 b.c my wife needed a new phone and we were offered a 2 for 1 deal making the v40 "free" (as our plan didn't change plus we received $400 each for her G4 and my v20 towards the 1st v40 making it only $150 and the 2nd v40 free - so two v40's for $150 and she absolutely needed a new phone, it was a great deal but I wish LG offered a v20 with a newer CPU / chipset and would have easily gotten it over the v40 even if the same price!

Actually I'd be happy with even a G4 containing a newer CPU / chipset over the v40 as well. I really miss the normal sized screen (aspect ratio) as I much prefer a slightly wider display over a super tall but skinny display.

The only reason we went with the v40 btw was due to the headphone jack and Quad DAC otherwise I have no loyalty to LG. Plus had I known the Quad DAC sounded so bright / processed compared to the natural sounding excellent v20 quad DAC I'd have looked at other phones with headphone jacks more closely and not went with LG straight away though the very loud speaker on the v40 is a plus for listening to the Android Central and other podcasts btw (as you can sit the phone down on a table for instance and it's very loud which is a plus - I'm not sure how loud the Note 9 speaker is or other similar phones so the v40 for me has the louder speaker for podcast listening going for it as well but overall, I miss the v20 even if not just for the 2nd screen to turn on the flashlight easily, access the alarm clock quickly , control music / podcast players etc .

Oh and the v40 still does NOT have a notification LED which was one of the few negatives on the v20 for me (the always on display on the v40 can indicate a missed call but it doesn't light up / flash like a normal notification LED found on all phones for many years & my wife uses the always on display and it def drains the battery it seems a little more when activated so I don't even use the always on display.

A v20 with a louder speaker, notification light , would be a near perfect phone for me (keeping the useful 2nd screen, removable battery, IR Blaster, great sounding Quad DAC etc

Thanks so much for your honesty while comparing the two phones. I decided to just stick with my V20 for awhile longer. I also considered the Pixel 3 XL with the $200 off BF sale. I have read about too many flaws in the software so far. The Pixel just is not worth the headache for a better camera and regular updates for myself. I barely use the camera anyways. The V40 offers more than I need right now in a smartphone. I am 90% happy with my V20 so I will wait a little longer to shop for a phone that checks all my boxes to buy a brand new outrageously priced smartphone.

middbrew

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
pushdrops, you do know you can adjust the setting of the sound for the Quad DAC. That's one of the added features from the previous devices, ie; V20 and V30. I find it much better.

eric12341

Banned
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: my take on the v40 two weeks into it after 2 yrs of using the v20 (the G4 prior to the v20)

The Quad DAC in the V40 is slightly better than the one used in the V30. Use the Sharp filter setting for the most natural sound.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering if it is better or worse than the V20?

I'm getting way better SOT, a minimum of 6 hours SOT, sometimes 8 and that with battery saver mode OFF. I am using the dark theme so that might contribute to it... The Snapdragon 845 + Android O, + LG's optimization + using dark theme on OLED + ability to reduce screen resolution lower helps a lot. With my V20 I usually get 3-4 hours SOT max.

Screenshot_2018-11-15-17-36-31.jpg

Screenshot_2018-11-23-10-33-01.jpg

BTW just as I thought, the battery life gets better the longer you use it (2 weeks). This is the case with all Android devices.. the OS recognizes your habits and readjusts to save battery. It's getting better as we speak.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRG582