how long should I wait to pay off DPP& cancel line after purchasing the Verizon phone from Best Buy?

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
how long should I wait to pay off DPP& cancel line after purchasing the Verizon phone from Best Buy?

how long should I wait to pay off DPP after purchasing the Verizon phone from Best Buy?

got the S7 for $222. Phone price $672 - $250 free gift card - $200 trade-in credit for $5 phone. Best Buy allowed me to apply the $200 gift card toards the DPP balance, so my VZW acct is now shoing DPP balance of $472.

I'm going to keep it active for at least a couple of days, just to make sure works fine. Should I wait until the 14-day return period has expired? Or can I just can pay off the DPP and disconnect the line after 5 days?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: how long should I wait to pay off DPP& cancel line after purchasing the Verizon phone from Best

You can pay it off at any time. But if you are considering returning then I would wait until after the returns period.

I paid it off before the returns period once and returned it and it took many months and had to go through Verizon executive customer relations to get the refund.

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
Re: how long should I wait to pay off DPP& cancel line after purchasing the Verizon phone from Best

You can pay it off at any time. But if you are considering returning then I would wait until after the returns period.

I paid it off before the returns period once and returned it and it took many months and had to go through Verizon executive customer relations to get the refund.

Thanks! That's exactly what i was wondering about. If I pay off the DPP within the 14-day return period, it must be a pain to get the money back from Verizon. However, what if all I want to do is to exchange a defective phone within the 14 days? Will Best Buy simply let me exchange the phone without having to mess with my Verizon account?

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site

Paid it off online and cancelled the line(by porting it out), then the next day, I discovered that the Best Buy $250 gift card had been deactivated. At first, I thought that Best Buy had given me a bum card. I told the cashier to put my stuff aside. I went over to the mobile phone section to the manager who sold me the S7. He said I should have read the terms and conditions. Even if the $250 gift card offer was from Best Buy, I was no supposed to cancel the line within 14 day and there was nothing he could do about the deactivated $250 gift card. (which was done automatically, because Verizon and Best Buy apparently have a system in place to prevent such things since last March) :( :( :(

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Sorry to hear that. Guess the lesson is to use the gift card first before cancelling.

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site

Sorry to hear that. Guess the lesson is to use the gift card first before cancelling.

went back to the store during lunch today and spoke to the actual manager in charge(not the manager of mobile dept) and argued with her for almost 30 minutes. she finally agreed to re-issue me another $250 gift card. That only happened because there was a line of three Best Buy employees who needed to speak to her about something else and she saw that I wasn't about to give in that easily. I immediately spent the entire $250 gift card on an electric shaver and a Google Home.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

went back to the store during lunch today and spoke to the actual manager in charge(not the manager of mobile dept) and argued with her for almost 30 minutes. she finally agreed to re-issue me another $250 gift card. That only happened because there was a line of three Best Buy employees who needed to speak to her about something else and she saw that I wasn't about to give in that easily. I immediately spent the entire $250 gift card on an electric shaver and a Google Home.

Nice. Glad that you got it.

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site

Nice. Glad that you got it.

it was actually quite easy, I just pointed out to them that they and Verizon made no mention of such stupid rules anywhere online or in-store. nothing that I signed contained such stipulations and if they persisted, I would be seeing them at the county small claims court. (but never use the words "court" or "legal" or "sue" in such face-to-face discussions, just drop hints, because many corporations require employees to cease discussions with customers once those 3 words are invoked.. and turn the matter to the legal department)

*note: this is not legal advcie

420lyfe

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site

Tbh... as long as you can or you feel is right..

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site

Quick Tip...Any new or certified pre-owned phone bought on and activated on Verizon between Nov 25 and Dec 24 can be returned until January 14th. Check your receipt. The 14 day window is extended probably so people are not afraid to buy phones as gifts so people have plenty of return time.

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site

Quick Tip...Any new or certified pre-owned phone bought on and activated on Verizon between Nov 25 and Dec 24 can be returned until January 14th. Check your receipt. The 14 day window is extended probably so people are not afraid to buy phones as gifts so people have plenty of return time.

pretty sure that only applies to phones purchased directly from
a Verizon corporate store or verizonwireless.com website....

or am I wrong?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

or am I wrong?

Correct.

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site

or am I wrong?
That's correct. I bought a phone from my premium retailer on November 29th and I have the 14 day return/exchange window. Corporate or online are the only ones offering the extension.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treoluv