How Nexus Guaranteed Updates Work

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The latest news from Google can be found at this link: https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705?hl=en#nexus_devices and is explained by the AC staff here: Here's when your Nexus phone or tablet will stop receiving guaranteed updates | Android Central

And they saw this chart:

DeviceNo guaranteed Android version updates after
Nexus 6PSeptember 2017
Nexus 5XSeptember 2017
Nexus 9October 2016
Nexus 6October 2016
Nexus 5October 2015
Nexus 7 (2013)July 2015
Nexus 10November 2014

So a lot of blogs picked up on this update because it included data that said the 6P and 5X were not guaranteed updates after September 2017. But what? Only two years old and they're EOL? What the heck? No, it's more nuanced than that. Needless to say, Google did a terrible job of explaining this and people are confused. Here's how it breaks down.

Google actually states the following:

How long your Nexus will get updates

After a certain period, Google can no longer guarantee that a device will get version updates or security patches.
Nexus devices receive:

• Android version updates
    For at least two years from when the device became available on the Google Store.
  • Security patches
    For the longer of 3 years from availability or 18 months from when the Google Store last sold the device.
A Nexus phone is guaranteed major version updates for two years. By major version, since the move to KK, we're talking about moving letters in the alphabet. And on that note, we're also now talking about moving the first number in the numbering sequence, such as 4.x.x to 5.0 and 5.x.x to 6.0, etc. So I'm going to go through three examples.

Example 1: The Nexus 5. It was released with KitKat in 2013 and on the chart above it says that it's EOL is 2015. That's two years, right? Simple enough. So that means it started on K 4.4, got the 5.0 update to L and got the 6.0 update to M. Two years. So the Nexus 5 isn't getting updated anymore? Wrong... what the chart doesn't tell you, is that Nexus devices are guaranteed security updates for three years, which means the 2015 date for major updates implies a 2016 date for security updates. And on Nexus devices, security updates often come with many of the same features and bug fixes, etc. that come with the same monthly patches on the more current devices.

Ha-ha true that. That's why I was confused by this because my Nexus 5 is already years old and I'm STILL getting security patches every month. Unlike these sites that say I shouldn't be anymore. So I was just lost on this. Thought maybe Google was trying to just put a ploy out there to have us always buy a new Nexus when one is released if we truly cared about updates.

As indicated in this quote, the Nexus 5 is still getting security updates each month and is on the latest and greatest software even though we're no longer in 2015

---

Wait, I typed too much. So the date says 2015 but it really means 2016? Yes. It means that if your device is EOL in 2015 on the chart, your device is going to be CURRENT until approximately a year later, or 2016.

Example 2: The Nexus 6. It was released with L in 2014 and on the chart above it says EOL is in 2016. So this means, it started on L, got M, will get N and will be CURRENT with both minor updates and security, until approximately the time that O releases in 2017. And it's not guaranteed that it WON'T get O, it just isn't guaranteed that it will. The Nexus 7 2012 went through 4 major updates and the Nexus 4 received 3 (5 and 4, respectively, if you count 5.1 as a major update - which if you beta'd 5.0, you do).

Example 3: The Nexus 6P and 5X. Released in 2015 with M and the chart says EOL 2017. Started on M, will get N, will get O and will be CURRENT with both minor updates and security until the time that P releases, in approximately Q4 of 2018.

Here's a chart that details the history of Nexus updates and projects all Nexus devices that currently exist (except the Player and Q because ... reasons) into the end of 2018.
2016-06-22.png

So it's important to note, that during the full year allocated for Security updates, the device is still fully up to date with the most recent generation of devices. 2 OS upgrades + 1 year security & minor updates = 3 years of latest and greatest software guaranteed. And as you can see, historically they've gone above and beyond that - but there's nothing in writing stating that they're going to do so again - so bank on 3 years of current software (from the device launch) but don't bet everything on anything past that.

Make sense?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Nexus 6 isn't guaranteed to get Android updates after October 2016.

But it will get security updates for the longer of "3 years of availability or 18 months from when the Google Store last sold the device".

November 2016 rolls around and the Nexus 6 is only guaranteed to get the security patches. If an OS update (example: "critical bug fixes") is included, cool. Not guaranteed to get those types of updates but can still possibly get them.

Based on what Google posted and assuming the named version of N is out before October 2016, I expect that in November 2016, the Nexus 6 be on Android 7.0 with the November security patch. If there was an N 7.0.1 say in December 2016, I wouldn't expect the Nexus 6 to get that version. If it did, cool. Not guaranteed though. But again in December 2016, I expect the Nexus 6 to be on the December 2016 security patch.

I don't understand what the confusion is.

(Side note: this was my understanding from the first released version of the AC article)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
A lot of the confusion came today from Android Authority and others reporting on the dates without clarification that the devices would be fully current for the third year as well. The 6 doesn't go silent in 3 months, it's closer to 15 months. All of the comments and forum posts have been trying to sort out what actually happens, so detailed it in the op of this thread to eliminate discrepancies.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
A lot of the confusion came today from Android Authority and others reporting on the dates without clarification that the devices would be fully current for the third year as well. The 6 doesn't go silent in 3 months, it's closer to 15 months. All of the comments and forum posts have been trying to sort out what actually happens, so detailed it in the op of this thread to eliminate discrepancies.

Could you clarify "fully current"? Is that Android OS and security patch level?

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Could you clarify "fully current"? Is that Android OS and security patch level?

Major OS version, which for the last couple of years also coincides with the API level and security patches. So the 6 will be current with N and security updates until Q4 2017, then it's not guaranteed so anyone's guess. The 6P will be current with N and O and security until 2018, etc. Basically the time frames in the chart. Last OS update is the dark color and the lighter color is the remaining year of security updates.

So for the 6, the N, which is probably 7.0 will be guaranteed, but if they release 7.0.1 in January of 2017, it is not certain whether or not it will receive that update. History points towards an extremely high probability, but Google is not guaranteeing that update.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Major OS version, which for the last couple of years also coincides with the API level and security patches. So the 6 will be current with N and security updates until Q4 2017, then it's not guaranteed so anyone's guess. The 6P will be current with N and O and security until 2018, etc. Basically the time frames in the chart. Last OS update is the dark color and the lighter color is the remaining year of security updates.

So for the 6, the N, which is probably 7.0 will be guaranteed, but if they release 7.0.1 in January of 2017, it is not certain whether or not it will receive that update. History points towards an extremely high probability, but Google is not guaranteeing that update.

..in the 7.0.1 example for the Nexus 6, not getting a January 7.0.1 OS update would mean it's not "fully current". Post October 2016, there are no guarantees that the Nexus 6 will be fully current but it will get the security patch.

Angry Hulk

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
I don't mind them eventually not updating Nexus devices but am I the only one that thinks it should be 3 years of OS updates and 4 years of security updates? Some people but these phones 1 year or more after original release. I know I did with the 6p. Anyone know what how long after release other companies (Samsung,HTC,etc.) update their devices?

Posted via the Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
You're definitely not alone in wanting a longer guarantee. Most companies seem to target 18 months but really makes a difference to consider which devices. Flagships are generally targeting 18 months, but many budget phones never update at all. HTC and Samsung have both been working improvement on updates into their flagship strategies so it's hard to say exactly when they'll drop support for any particular phone.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't mind them eventually not updating Nexus devices but am I the only one that thinks it should be 3 years of OS updates and 4 years of security updates? Some people but these phones 1 year or more after original release. I know I did with the 6p. Anyone know what how long after release other companies (Samsung,HTC,etc.) update their devices?

Posted via the Android Central App

I'm somewhat inclined to agree. However, it could be worse. Look at the 2015 Moto E. Support stopped after 5 months.

As for other OEMs, I think it's closer to 18 months.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
It doesn't matter to me what tactics they use to try and force me out of a device....I'll get rid of it when I'm darn good and ready ;)
They use update schedules as a way to scare (and entice) people into constantly purchasing new $600 phones. You don't need constant updates if you are smart with your phone use, and you sure as heck don't need constant OS updates. Often times they just cause issues with an OS that you've already got working well and has been polished up with some patches.

I'm admittedly a lighter phone user, but I've never missed not getting regular updates at all.....in fact OS updates scare me, because of the hell they seem to raise with an oftentimes very nicely running device. I'll be keeping my current phones for as long as they work, regardless of update availability :) I'm the kind of purchaser device manufacturers hate lol.

I'll be eligible for N and maybe even O......but if my phones working good I won't be in any hurry to upgrade until the early adopters work the bugs out :D

AllenRulz

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't matter to me what tactics they use to try and force me out of a device....I'll get rid of it when I'm darn good and ready ;)
They use update schedules as a way to scare (and entice) people into constantly purchasing new $600 phones. You don't need constant updates if you are smart with your phone use, and you sure as heck don't need constant OS updates. Often times they just cause issues with an OS that you've already got working well and has been polished up with some patches.

I'm admittedly a lighter phone user, but I've never missed not getting regular updates at all.....in fact OS updates scare me, because of the hell they seem to raise with an oftentimes very nicely running device. I'll be keeping my current phones for as long as they work, regardless of update availability :) I'm the kind of purchaser device manufacturers hate lol.

I'll be eligible for N and maybe even O......but if my phones working good I won't be in any hurry to upgrade until the early adopters work the bugs out :D

As I do kind of agree and see your point, I'm just thinking of the princeable of it. I think Google should never just stop giving us updates for their oem Nexus devices. I can understand not being able to upgrade to like Android N or O on a SUPER old Nexus phone because of space ext. But security updates should always be there IMO.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

Actually, I think a lot of the confusion came from Android Authority and others starting off with titles such as "This is when your Nexus will stop receiving any more updates evar!!!1!!one!!!eleventy!" (That may not be a direct quote, but it's pretty close and definitely expressive of the fearmongering nature of those article titles.) Plus, some sites (again like AA) not printing *all* of the pertinent information from Google's site. But yeah, Google themselves could have done a much better job, like your chart did.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I think a lot of the confusion came from Android Authority and others starting off with titles such as "This is when your Nexus will stop receiving any more updates evar!!!1!!one!!!eleventy!" (That may not be a direct quote, but it's pretty close and definitely expressive of the fearmongering nature of those article titles.) Plus, some sites (again like AA) not printing *all* of the pertinent information from Google's site. But yeah, Google themselves could have done a much better job, like your chart did.

They could have just made this chart with one more column:

2016-06-24.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ukfred