[HOW TO]100% Free incoming calls using SipGate

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
1. Join Sipgate, and get the free package -- Plans & Pricing

2. Once you're all set up with your free sipgate account, enter the settings, choose "Phone" from the list on the left, and press the +VoIP Phone button on the right side of the page.This will give you an entry for for a VoIP phone at the top of the page.

3. Mouse over your VoIP phone, and click the "sip credentials" link

4. Now get your Nexus S, and go to menu>settings>Call settings. Under Internet call settings, choose accounts. Press the Add account button

5. For username, enter the SIP-ID of your VoIP phone. You can find this, as well as your SIP password in the sip credentials at your sipgate account (step 3). Enter the password as well. for the Server entry, enter sipgate.com

6. optional settings -- Outbound Proxy Address is sipgate.com . Leave the rest alone.

7. Menu>save.

8. Whenever Recieve incoming calls is checked in call settings, you'll get free incoming VoIP calls on your Nexus S.

They're a bit laggy (compared to standard cellular or landline calls) but they sound clear here, and you can't beat free.

Reactions: beezy

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
You cant make outgoing calls with this free sipgate account, unless you put a balance on it. It's like 1.9 cents a minute.

Can you test someone calling you at your sipgate #? I'm talking to my wife on it now, seeing how it hits the battery -- but she called me.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Oh right, yeah let me test that now... It didn't have any numbers in my area to give me, so I have a number from like California, pretty weird.

EDIT: I think this is pretty cool, but it's pretty expensive... if it were free calls, incoming and outgoing, this might be something worth actually having. However, the sound quality was very bad. We can't really complain though, it is free.

Last edited:

ulmer

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I tried setting up a Sipgate and a Gizmo5 account over the weekend. Both seemed unreliable and incoming calls would sometimes not ring to the phone. I'd go into the Internet Phone settings and see that the connection to Sipgate had died for some reason and have to fiddle with it to get it connected again.

Having this set up seemed to drain my battery pretty fast.

Also, SIP calling apparently only works over WiFi. The article just posted to Android Central states it works over 3G. If there's a way to get it working on 3G, I'd love to know!

I tried a SIP client app called CSipsimple and it was easy to set up and use, but the call quality was a lot worse than the built in SIP on the Nexus S. About half the audio would drop out most of the time, where the built in client's audio probably worked 95% of the time. This app works on 3G and Wifi though, so that's a bonus.

This SIP called seemed really promising. I'd love to use it with Google Voice and drop my cell voice plan, but there just seemed to be too many issues for it to be remotely reliable.

Last edited:

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I just signed up for sipgate and it gave me 60 free minutes. Tried outgoing call to my phone and it rang.

I initially had my ATT sim in (2G in NS) and the voip service wouldn't connect, said need wifi. Put sim back in N1 for wifi tether and it worked. Was it a connection speed issue? 2G download was very slow at the time (~30 kbps). Will voip work on 2G at all? Or even 3G?

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
How to internet call?

I saw the video on internet calling and thought it was cool. So I want to know how do I get a SIP account and do all the rest so I can internet call. I don't know nothing sorry for another question.

ulmer

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
You could use Google Voice for free outgoing with Sipgate, since Google Voice acts as an incoming call.

I used to use Sipgate + SipSorcery + Google Voice to get free outgoing and incoming calls through Fring on my iPod Touch. You can read about how to do this and similar setups here.

Frankramblings

Dec 25, 2010
Visit site
If I place an Outgoing Call from the Google Voice website, it will come to my phone as an Incoming Call before Google Voice connects me. So in theory, I could make outgoing SIP calls that way, right?

dbsimms63

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Funny how they know where my area is, I guess through my IP address? I never got to start the application process, so no address or ZIP code to know where I am.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shadowbear