[HOW-TO] Get a rooted version of EE4

Halo

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to Chadness (and everyone) for the ridiculous, life-stealing commitment to Charge hacking glory . . . Here's my situation, not sure how to proceed.

Had rooted ED1 Charge with some of the more obnoxious bloatware removed and decided it was time to really dig in. After updating to EE4, followed directions in this post for flashing Clockwork and PBJ kernel with the lagfix, decided to wait on the new ROM. All went smoothly. Had the SD card access error until I changed USB settings to ask on connection which cured problem. Confirmed with terminal emulator that lagfix is enabled.

BUT . . . NO ROOT!! Titanium Backup no longer works. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling TB to no avail. Rebooted phone with battery removal but root still gone. Gonna try re-flashing the kernel and the SD card patch, but I don't think that is problem. After that, it's flash Gummy Charged with fingers crossed just to check it out and see if root works for me. However, I'd really prefer sticking with the stock ROM right now.

People have posted the same no root issue in this thread, but I haven't seen anyone say if they've fixed it without a new ROM. All comments greatly appreciated . . .

Peace and happiness to all on Explosion Monday aka July 4th!!

I would just try reflashing PBJT again. I know you wanna stick with the stock ROM, but GummyCharged frickin' rocks.

Reactions: Donkey Droid

Donkey Droid

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I would just try reflashing PBJT again. I know you wanna stick with the stock ROM, but GummyCharged frickin' rocks.

Thanks, Halo. Tried re-flashing PBJ by disabling the lagfix, which was no problem, but Titanium Backup still had no root access. Based on what I've been reading, it's possible the phone is technically rooted, but the apps like TB are fooled for some reason. It's just a fairly rare glitch that some like me are getting.

Went ahead, loaded Gummy Charged and, viola, root granted and everything's rockin'. Re-enabled the lag fix for good measure just to reallly see what GC can do. Like everything so far. It appears any apps that were removed that I liked I can get back by simple Googling so all's good for now. Nice to be updated on EE4 with root and no more "update available" nag screens to dismiss.

kthom49

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Ok.........so I should have left well enough alone! Need some help.
The first time I followed these instructions, everything went flawlessly. Odin installed CWM the first time I tried. Flashed PBJT kernel without problems. Went back days later and Flashed GC 1.8.5 no problems. Even put PBJT on the wife's Charge without incident.

Today, I decided to attempt to return to stock and do it all again. I had two reasons for this: 1) I didn't wipe the caches the first time, and felt like perhaps things weren't running as "fast" as they could. and 2) just to practice rooting and romming!.

I disabled lagfix, flashed a stock ED1 from imnuts, did OTA update to EE4, Used Odin to add CWM from this thread. Booted into the yellow CWM, accidentally went through the "apply update.zip" when I meant to do "install from sd card". Now I can't get to install and choose zip from sd card because it won't mount /sd card. Where do I go from here?

chadness

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Ok.........so I should have left well enough alone! Need some help.
The first time I followed these instructions, everything went flawlessly. Odin installed CWM the first time I tried. Flashed PBJT kernel without problems. Went back days later and Flashed GC 1.8.5 no problems. Even put PBJT on the wife's Charge without incident.

Today, I decided to attempt to return to stock and do it all again. I had two reasons for this: 1) I didn't wipe the caches the first time, and felt like perhaps things weren't running as "fast" as they could. and 2) just to practice rooting and romming!.

I disabled lagfix, flashed a stock ED1 from imnuts, did OTA update to EE4, Used Odin to add CWM from this thread. Booted into the yellow CWM, accidentally went through the "apply update.zip" when I meant to do "install from sd card". Now I can't get to install and choose zip from sd card because it won't mount /sd card. Where do I go from here?
Use Odin and reflash one of the stock ROMs, such as ED1, ED2, or EE4, and you should be able to start over from there.

kthom49

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, Chadness.
After a late night, I figured it out. Tried ADB, but couldn't get that to work. Even reformatted the sd card after moving files to my PC desktop......no luck. Finally, Went to ED1 via Odin, did the OTA to EE4 and then went through your instructions again. All is well. :D

Anderain

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks chadness. First time ever rooting, and it took me only 15 minutes once I had everything downlaoded. (I sat there for a few minutes after the Odin step deciding if i should put my battery back in or plug the USB cable back in haha) :p

voigts

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Thank you so much for this post! I am a first time Android user, and am completely new to this. I followed your directions to a T, and had the phone rooted in about 15 minutes flat. I didn't load a custom ROM as for now i wanted to backup everything first as I've bought a few applications and downloaded a bunch of others already. I bought Titanium pro to backup and to freeze or uninstall the bloat, and then decide later if I want to go the ROM route. I did do the lagfix however, and I'm getting 1503 in Quadrant. This phone already works so much better.

vols fan

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
yes the first time i rebooted i heard her and the reboot took awhile. I also ran the terminal emulator and the ext4 is in the program so i know lagfix is enable.

vols fan

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Well man to be honest it was all in the computer not seeing the phone. I couldn't flash with Odin. I finally got the usb drivers to work and got the PBJT kernal loaded. I tried to load GC today with the GummyBeast theme and the phone got stuck in bootloop. I'm not sure what I did wrong there.

pboy207

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Well man to be honest it was all in the computer not seeing the phone. I couldn't flash with Odin. I finally got the usb drivers to work and got the PBJT kernal loaded. I tried to load GC today with the GummyBeast theme and the phone got stuck in bootloop. I'm not sure what I did wrong there.
Glad to hear you finally got it work. So nothing specifically was done, your computer just saw your phone randomly after so many attempts.. wierd.. . Not sure whats going on with the loop thing with GC. How did you load it, with Odin or CWR?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zbxbzbc