[How-To] Guide to rooting with software version LS670ZVD (OUTDATED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeNYer

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm having trouble with the abd drivers so I cant use the command promt to reboot into recovery so I'm stuck on stock VD. I'm guessing I need a 64 bit driver but can't any. Does anyone another work around or how to make the driver work?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

sonicbluemustang

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm having trouble with the abd drivers so I cant use the command promt to reboot into recovery so I'm stuck on stock VD. I'm guessing I need a 64 bit driver but can't any. Does anyone another work around or how to make the driver work?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Do you have USB debugging on in Menu/Settings/Applications/Developement?

mr griffon

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys new to forum,so much info here.Have a question I have been reading this thread and cant figure out what I need or dont need to do. I have the optimus s never rooted, my hot spot widget worked before, I received the new update ls670zvd now it doesn't work. What steps do I have to take to root this phone. I already downloaded lg updater and use pdanet so I should have drivers installed. Would appreciate the help thanks.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys new to forum,so much info here.Have a question I have been reading this thread and cant figure out what I need or dont need to do. I have the optimus s never rooted, my hot spot widget worked before, I received the new update ls670zvd now it doesn't work. What steps do I have to take to root this phone. I already downloaded lg updater and use pdanet so I should have drivers installed. Would appreciate the help thanks.
Revert to V9. Instructions are in my signature. Skip step (u) if you have no need for root and aren't upgrading to latest ZVD ROM.

If your phone came with VC, then revert to VC instead or your LCD might not display (even though your phone otherwise works ok, including touch screen) Instructions are the same as reverting to V9 except a few substitutions in the reference section.

Last edited:
Reactions: mr griffon

Crad118

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone! I am new to the forum and just received a new Optimus S.

I want to allow the phone to wifi tether with my laptop, but I am not sure if I should root the phone since this is the only thing I want to add without cost.

Is there another option that will allow me to do this? Or am I better off following these instructions to root the device?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Edit: Forgot to mention that I have not done anything with the device and it is running ls670zvd. Is part 5 the best option?

Last edited:

nelzbelz

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Followed all applicable steps; 1,2, &5. Everything functioned as described. Upon reboot after completion I get warning repeatedly, "The application Google Services Framework (process com.google.process.gapps) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." It happens every time an app loads. Some apps work, many do not. I have a sync icon in the notification bar that will not go away even if I turn off the sync function. Any suggestions? Need HELP!

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone! I am new to the forum and just received a new Optimus S.

I want to allow the phone to wifi tether with my laptop, but I am not sure if I should root the phone since this is the only thing I want to add without cost.

Is there another option that will allow me to do this? Or am I better off following these instructions to root the device?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Edit: Forgot to mention that I have not done anything with the device and it is running ls670zvd. Is part 5 the best option?

You need Part 2 first. Phones that come pre-installed with VC or VD have the OTA update which at this point is unrootable using any known methods.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the fast response, I believe I had vc before , is there any way of finding out for sure before I go ahead and perform the procedure.
If you ran only one OTA update and are at ZVD currently, then you were at ZVC before. From what I can see, Sprint makes you OTA update one rev at a time.

Reactions: mr griffon

jcwxguy

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Followed all applicable steps; 1,2, &5. Everything functioned as described. Upon reboot after completion I get warning repeatedly, "The application Google Services Framework (process com.google.process.gapps) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again." It happens every time an app loads. Some apps work, many do not. I have a sync icon in the notification bar that will not go away even if I turn off the sync function. Any suggestions? Need HELP!

I had the same issue, but went away after flashing to ThundeRom
Did you do step 2 first as it says in the preface?
6) If your device screen looks like THIS, you have the stock recovery kernel and need to follow Part 2 first.

*after you downgrade to LS670ZV9, root the phone using z4root then flash the recovery.
After that Using the LG Mobile Support Tool, update to LS670ZVD.

after all thats updated, what i did was booted into the custom recovery and flashed the signed zip file then i rebooted the phone to check root status (which i had). I then would recommend flashing to ThundeRom (its awesome :) ) but dont forget to make a backup of your current ROM

Last edited:

wagville

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I apologize in advance for being a complete newb and knowing almost nothing about rooting. I have this phone with this software version...and I am on a Mac. I really want to open up my phone for wifi, but half of what you guys are talking about is Greek to me...and I don't even know if it's Mac-doable.
Any info or suggestions?
Thanks.

drewwalton19216801

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I apologize in advance for being a complete newb and knowing almost nothing about rooting. I have this phone with this software version...and I am on a Mac. I really want to open up my phone for wifi, but half of what you guys are talking about is Greek to me...and I don't even know if it's Mac-doable.
Any info or suggestions?
Thanks.

You'll need to borrow a friend's Windows machine. Or install Windows in a VM.

Also, what EXACTLY aren't you understanding?

wagville

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
You'll need to borrow a friend's Windows machine. Or install Windows in a VM.

Also, what EXACTLY aren't you understanding?
Okay, I'll embarrass myself....I don't understand about "custom recovery kernels" or even what a kernel is. I guess I'd be better off seeing if there's someone in San Francisco (where I live) who could maybe help me. Cuz I'm pretty sure I'd brick this puppy.

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
There are two bootable areas on the phone. One is Android that you are using now. The other is a Recovery area to perform maintenance and emergency operations. Both Android and Recovery are built on top of the linux operating system. Each one has their own linux operating system build. Android has a graphical UI. Recovery has a text-based UI.

There are a couple of ways you can cause Recovery to boot. One is to power down, then press-hold Home + Vol- + Power.

When people say install custom recovery kernel, they are saying install a custom modified Recovery boot area which gives you more functionality like installing ROMs which haven't been signed by LG or Sprint.

wagville

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I appreciate the feedback, you guys, and I think I can understand the principle. But, from what it appears, to root my phone requires more than is shown in that YouTube video they've got for rooting this phone on a Mac. And since the kernel thing is only the beginning of what I don't know -- well, I think you can see the dilemma. It's probably poor form to paraphrase Blanche Dubois, but I clearly rely on the kindnesses of strangers here. And I'm SOL without a local stranger, I guess. But I appreciate the responses.

samster1986

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your guide. I have two optimus phones, I updated one about two weeks ago. I tried to update the other one and found that 2nd phone will not want to update with the lg update tool. It's giving a message that phone model is not supported please contact lg.
Any ideas. You think that lg pulled the update from the tool?

Status
Not open for further replies.