How to increase both storage and memory on A12?

Oct 31, 2022
Visit site
Hello, bud of mine has a Samsung A12 phone. He would like to add a 128gb storage SD card and also as much memory card as it will allow since he has only 600mb memory.

Far as I am seeing only one sd card can be added so what can he do please?

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
You can't add memory like you can a computer. Amf memory being used is a good thing. It speeds up the things you do on your phone by basically keeping some processes preloaded and ready to use, almost like shortcuts. It speeds up things like how fast apps open and makes it so you can jump between tasks without having to wait for things to load.

I would also suggest like mustang said, it would be better to look into getting a more capable phone. SD cards are slower and they can get corrupted fairly easy. Nowadays you don't really need them like we used to. We have cloud for pictures and various files and putting apps on them slows your phone/the apps down. He could do it if he wanted to for a little bit more storage, but it won't be as much as you think probably because not everything can be stored on the sd card and that's part of the problem as well. He should use cloud storage to save space and uninstall/disable unused apps. And tell him to stay away from ram boosters and other things like that. They claim to speed up your phone because it clears out ram, bur the memory just gets filled right back up anyways. It actually slows your phone down more overall because the device has to work harder and apps have to load things from scratch. Really it's more ideal to clear out cache if there is a problem with an app or something is running right.

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
ok thanks guys, I just spoken to the bud and told him to get a phone with at least 3gb memory and 128gb storage. His purpose for this is to play music on his boombox via bluetooth on his phone.

Oh ok. Well if he uses a music streaming app like Spotify then he doesn't need much storage. And if that's the main purpose of the phone then he should try to limit as much as he can from running in the background. Things like automatic sync, ok Google for the assistant, things like that take up memory because they are constantly listening and waiting in the background.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
ok thanks guys, I just spoken to the bud and told him to get a phone with at least 3gb memory and 128gb storage. His purpose for this is to play music on his boombox via bluetooth on his phone.

Welcome to AC!
I changed you to post owner to help you find your thread easier.

Yeah definitely something with at least 4gb ram 128gb storage

Oct 31, 2022
Visit site
Thank you. BTW, any recommendations for a good media player please guys? That is the only reason for him upgrading to a better phone.

What he needs is an App which will allow him to choose his music folders which he will need to import unto the phone and play whichever folders as a playlist with volume leveling and crossfade, like a radio station.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you. BTW, any recommendations for a good media player please guys? That is the only reason for him upgrading to a better phone.

What he needs is an App which will allow him to choose his music folders which he will need to import unto the phone and play whichever folders as a playlist with volume leveling and crossfade, like a radio station.
Im sure other members can help out for a good app , i only use YouTube or YouTube music and dont download any

Oct 31, 2022
Visit site
He has been using Youtube subscription but has a private music collection of about 75gb's all neatly categorized into folders so like "Disco, dance, reggae" e.t.c and wants to also run music from his private collection too. I was going to advise media monkey player which does everything mentioned but it's reviews doesn't look good.

Meantime, what might be the easies way for me to copy his mp3 collection as they are from his pc's hard drive unto his Android please since now he won't be using an SD Card?

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site

I just stream all my music now because I don't like songs taking up so much storage, but I know there are a lot of different music players on Google play that have well over 50 million downloads. I wound tell him to go through them, look at reviews and try a few of them out to see what he likes best.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
He has been using Youtube subscription but has a private music collection of about 75gb's all neatly categorized into folders so like "Disco, dance, reggae" e.t.c and wants to also run music from his private collection too. I was going to advise media monkey player which does everything mentioned but it's reviews doesn't look good.

Meantime, what might be the easies way for me to copy his mp3 collection as they are from his pc's hard drive unto his Android please since now he won't be using an SD Card?

Welcome to Android Central! PowerAmp is one of the most well-regarded 3rd party media player apps, so give that a try.

The easiest way to get his mp3 collection to his phone would be to upload it to his YouTube Music account and stream it from there: https://support.google.com/youtubemusic/answer/9716522?hl=en. But if he really prefers the music files/folders to be copied over exactly as they are, with the same organization, then you'd probably have to do it over USB and use Windows File Manager. This can take a while, and I would also recommend against copying all files/folders in one operation, since there's more risk of a data error. It's usually safer to copy them over in smaller batches.

Oct 31, 2022
Visit site
Thank you, will look into power amp and report back.

@Mr. Bojangles
As mentioned he wants to use his collection as is. He does the same thing, play music from youtube and Spotify and DJ softwares, just all on his laptop:)
reason why he looking for a phone option is because he moved from a house into an apartment and can only use a boombox and that boombox only allows bluetooth, no USB option. This was why he started using youtube with subscription so no ads.

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
Thank you, will look into power amp and report back.

@Mr. Bojangles
As mentioned he wants to use his collection as is. He does the same thing, play music from youtube and Spotify and DJ softwares, just all on his laptop:)
reason why he looking for a phone option is because he moved from a house into an apartment and can only use a boombox and that boombox only allows bluetooth, no USB option. This was why he started using youtube with subscription so no ads.

YouTube music was formerly Google play music that's why I mentioned it. I swear someone mentioned Google play music disappearing, but that must have been a different post lol. You can do exactly what he wants using the youtube music app though and you don't even have to sign into an account either. You can play it all off of your device.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174