How to make Android connect to WiFi that has no internet?

YourFriendlyITGuy

Nov 17, 2022
Visit site
Hello,
Im trying to connect Lenovo tablet with Android 10 to WiFi network that has no internet access but it refuses to connect again after reboot.
Order of operations:
Boot up
Connect to Wifi
Get notification This network has no internet access
Check "dont ask again" and confirm yes I want to connect anyway
All works
Reboot
Tablet will not connecct again( if connected forcefully will display no internet notification again)

How to force Android to connect or what IP i need to allow on router to Android to think this Wifi has internet?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central.

First I don't believe you can prevent the no internet notification each initial connection. I believe the notification saying don't ask again means this session or for the rest of the time I'm connected to this WiFi and not the don't ask again of making a choice or setting a default.

Open your WiFi connections and touch the connection you would like to make there should be an option that asks if this is one to Auto Connect to. More than likely this option is on for all of your WiFi connections. Turning it off for all connections except this one should force it to connect. It may alert you that the connection has no internet for the initial connection but taking it away from other WiFi connections in that location should prevent it from testing and only connecting to ones with internet service.

There are also apps that help devices connect to certain networks. You could also try taking all other WiFi connections away from the device by unpairing them to try and force a connection.

Let us know how it works out. To receive notifications when others reply to your thread and to leave comments of your own please take a minute to create an account. It will help you communicate and get help. This link will guide you through how to do that... https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community-new-post.html

Last edited by a moderator:

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Your question is full of some basic misconceptions regarding local networking and WiFi so that leaves what you're asking open to any number of interpretations on providing relevant suggestions. Since you've opted to not log into a free account here to provide feedback, please don't expect your problem be solved by any replies.
I'm guessing that you just need to reboot your router as it maybe or maybe not sounds like you just need to get your tablet connected to an otherwise available WiFi network. It's your router that emits the WiFi signals wirelessly and that's what your tablet will connect to. Occasionally something happens, a possible one-off glitch, where the router just needs to be restarted to clear things up. And if you're assuming that just because you have other devices connected to your home network that aren't having the same problem as with your Lenovo tablet so it can't be your router, that just isn't correct. Home networks are not that simplistic, there's actually a lot going on in the background between your router and each device connected to it. There's good chance the problem isn't with your tablet itself. If it has problems connecting to different WiFi networks that would indicate it's your tablet at fault, but if just you home network that's just as likely to be your router.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
I've had similar "frustrations" in the past as the OP. In some of my past scenarios, I have specifically wanted/needed to connect to wifi and a local network that is not connected to the internet, for the purpose of helping to finish setting up a router/switch, for testing out some sort of local only service, etc... Almost all the times, I have had to manually fight the device in order to do what I want, because the device always assumes I actually want a different nearby wifi that is internet connected. I have chalked it up to just a nuance I have to sometimes suffer through.

YourFriendlyITGuy

Nov 17, 2022
Visit site
Hello, I'm the op.
Here is how I solved my problem. I googled how android decides if wifi has internet and go a webside adress that android connect to to check. I allowed this adress on the router and now tablet says that the wifi has limited access but the tablet will connect to it every time.
The point was to allow certain services but not others. Trafic rule deny all then web filter allow anydesk teamviewer and few oders this result in wifi having no access according to android, by allowing this one address through we change the android perception of the network.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Hello, I'm the op.
Here is how I solved my problem...
Glad you followed up, because now it is clearer what you were trying to do. Curious however why you are now getting a "limited internet available" indicatiion, if the local wifi/network is basically now connected to the internet for that single critical call/check home IP address?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Glad you followed up, because now it is clearer what you were trying to do. Curious however why you are now getting a "limited internet available" indicatiion, if the local wifi/network is basically now connected to the internet for that single critical call/check home IP address?

Of course if the OP pops back in and clears it up we'll know for sure but I believe the WiFi connection they are using is strictly networking and not actually connected to internet. It sounds like what they have done is add this address so that when their device attempts to connect it doesn't reject the WiFi for lack of internet but instead connects anyway. Seeing the address seems to confirm to the device that it is seeing what it needs locally, which it assumes is external, but not seeing anything else like other pings or data traffic, it sees the connection as limited. Not so sure how clear that is but like I said this is just an assumption based on the question and reply.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
Of course if the OP pops back in and clears it up we'll know for sure but I believe the WiFi connection they are using is strictly networking and not actually connected to internet. It sounds like what they have done is add this address so that when their device attempts to connect it doesn't reject the WiFi for lack of internet but instead connects anyway. Seeing the address seems to confirm to the device that it is seeing what it needs locally, which it assumes is external, but not seeing anything else like other pings or data traffic, it sees the connection as limited. Not so sure how clear that is but like I said this is just an assumption based on the question and reply.
I guess I interpreted the OP's other post differently, in that the Android Device will never be able to "see" the IP address in question (probably actually a url), if traffic for that address/url wasn't let through the filters that currently prevent the rest of the local network from actually connecting to the internet. As you say however, maybe the OP will post again to further clarify.

Last edited:

YourFriendlyITGuy

Nov 17, 2022
Visit site
Hello,
Now I can share more info about the whole situation as it has been solved.
Im deploying a Queue management system for customer office. This is a closed environment looking like this: 2PCs, 4G router, several tablets.
There is a ticketing machine that host a webapp allowing to call the customer tickets, tablets are conntected to WiFi that ticketing machine it connected to.
Point is to connect the tablets but restrict internet access as users tend to use the tablet for other activities(youtube) than intended(calling tickets).

This is when I encountered the described problem where tablets will not connect to WiFi that has no internet becuase I assume no internet means no spying for android.
We allow access to few services like Anydesk to connect to tablets and Teamviewer to connect to PCs.
Tablets are set to power off at end of day and boot up at the beginning, they would not connect on their own on the next day.

Explaining the limited access, from what I googled it seems every android build intended for a brand like Lenovo or what have you may have its own link to decide that WiFi has internet or no, the one I found seems to be android generic one that all androids use.
Google "How android decide if WiFi has internet?" that got me answers about the link.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickness54