Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Last edited:

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
If you are experiencing any issues with Gingerbread contact Google or Samsung. Call them up and tell them this better be fixed. You didn't pay $600 for a lag. Be sure to tell them that it BETTER get fixed.

Yes, that's what the filed report is for. Hopefully it is an issue that will get addressed and fixed in a future update.

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes, that's what the filed report is for. Hopefully it is an issue that will get addressed and fixed in a future update.

Ya I know but those take too long. I would rather call them up and tell them that it better get fixed. It isn't as good as filing a report but ik if someone called me up and told me there was something defective about one of the shirts or wristbands my company sold them I would fix it.

druk75

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Can i connect to samsung kies with my nexus s or do i have to do it at all?

How can i back up my data from my nexus to kies? Also, i want to make the user experience as close to galaxy S as possible. I loved that phone, but the nexus S is not that user friendly imn my opinion. How can i get swype to call and sms, and other stuff? Including Asphalt 5?

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your post! Here are some answers I have found.

The Nexus S does not have Samsung Kies because it is stock android and the Galaxy S has Samsung's touchwiz. So the Nexus S get's everything OTA and it doesn't need Samsung Kies. This means that users won’t have to use the Samsung Kies desktop management client to install software updates.

Maybe the Nexus S doesn't seem as user friendly to you because you are coming from the Galaxy S and the Galaxy S has Samsung's touchwiz and the Nexus S doesn't because it is Stock android so it is different from the Galaxy S. It will become more user friendly the more you use it.

You can get swype on the Nexus S by clicking HERE and downloading it.

You can download Asphalt in the android market, that goes for any other games you want to download. Also if you had it on your Galaxy S then just put your G-Mail account on the Nexus S and it should sync almost everything you had on your Galaxy S, I don't think it will sync pictures or music, only things affiliated with your G-Mail, contacts, and Market.

Tell me if this helps. Thanks for posting!

Last edited:

druk75

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
you know what? You are super help. Thanks a million. I have already downloaded swype. i wasd asking about porting the swipe right to call and swipe left to sms from call log menu as in galaxy...but i guess its touch wiz and hence cannot be done here.

But how can i backup all my data?

Also i had already checked the market, but not Asphalt 5 there. Guess its only for Samsung phones fron Samsung apps. Any way i can connect to Samsung Apps?

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
you know what? You are super help. Thanks a million. I have already downloaded swype. i wasd asking about porting the swipe right to call and swipe left to sms from call log menu as in galaxy...but i guess its touch wiz and hence cannot be done here.

Oh. Yeah I guess it is only a TouchWiz thing.

But how can i backup all my data?

Go to your settings>Privacy>and check back up my data.
Also download mybackup from the market.

Also i had already checked the market, but not Asphalt 5 there. Guess its only for Samsung phones fron Samsung apps. Any way i can connect to Samsung Apps?

If you go to the market and search Asphalt 5 you will see Asphalt HD which is the same thing as Asphalt 5 except a higher quality. You can get that game and I also recommend getting Need For Speed by EA mobile because it is on sale for 99cents and it is a really fun racing game I like it a lot. I would recommend just getting Need for speed now because it is cheaper and Asphalt HD has some issues while playing on the Nexus S. For example sometimes sound doesn't work and it will stop the game and say "error occurred." Get it if you like or wait till these issues are resolved.

Tell me if this helps. Thanks for posting!

Last edited:

druk75

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
As i said..........You are a true friend. I used to moderate and help out newbies on a forum sometime back.........Was a symbian forum for the S80 phone 7710. People were grateful to me, and would thank me to no extend. Never knew what it feels like to GET HELP!!!! Thanks Thanks thanks....
Never thought it would turn a complete reverse and i would feel elated to get help. I'm new to Android and love it!! Loved the galaxy S but traded it in for lack of update to 2.3 or even 2.2. I have already got most of the substitute apps that had run stock on the galaxy bar a few....

I want the Asphalt....

Thanks again.....Have a good day.

druk75

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi.

Can you tell me whats this about the home screen lag? I've noticed that at times, when i toggle between the home screens, they dont move freely. There is considerable lag. It gets fixed only by shut down and restart. Any fixes available?

druk75

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
One more question.

After backing up from the phone throught settings-> privacy-> backup data, How can i restore it later?

Grimmy

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Some good advice here, however I take issue with the Charging section:

Charging
Download Task Killer and kill all apps you are not using.
Here are some tips:
1. When charging try not to use the phone a lot.
2. Only charge when phone is below 10%.
3. If possible turn the phone off to charge, this is preferably done at night if you don't use your phone as an alarm.

Firstly, you shouldn't need a task killer with Android 2.x, and if you really must kill apps, prefer the built in mechanism, in Gingerbread this is easily accessible by pressing the menu key on the homescreen and then selecting "applications".

Secondly, I have some questions about the tips...

1. Is this just so it charges quicker?
2. This goes against what I have previously read, do you have a source or rationale for this advice? I have previously heard that with Lithium batteries you should charge them as soon as you can, preferably before it gets below 20% and only let it completely run down occasionally for calibration purposes.
3. So it charges quicker again?

Grimmy

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
One more question.

After backing up from the phone throught settings-> privacy-> backup data, How can i restore it later?

It automatically gets restored when you log into the phone with your Google account.

If you get a new phone, the apps and settings you had on your old phone will automatically be downloaded and transferred onto the new one.

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Some good advice here, however I take issue with the Charging section:

Firstly, you shouldn't need a task killer with Android 2.x, and if you really must kill apps, prefer the built in mechanism, in Gingerbread this is easily accessible by pressing the menu key on the homescreen and then selecting "applications".

Secondly, I have some questions about the tips...

1. Is this just so it charges quicker?
2. This goes against what I have previously read, do you have a source or rationale for this advice? I have previously heard that with Lithium batteries you should charge them as soon as you can, preferably before it gets below 20% and only let it completely run down occasionally for calibration purposes.
3. So it charges quicker again?

I just put this down because I was told to do this by a Best Buy employee. If you think it is incorrect please tell me and I will fix it with whatever you think it should say. Thanks for pointing this out. :)

druk75

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi.

Can you tell me whats this about the home screen lag? I've noticed that at times, when i toggle between the home screens, they dont move freely. There is considerable lag. It gets fixed only by shut down and restart. Any fixes available?

Anybody?

druk75

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
It automatically gets restored when you log into the phone with your Google account.

If you get a new phone, the apps and settings you had on your old phone will automatically be downloaded and transferred onto the new one.

And what about contacts? Do they get backed up and restored too?