Question How to open file from My Files using app of my choice?

Ignorantbliss

Jun 21, 2023
Visit site
When I select a music file to play from Samsung My Files this is the no name basic pre-loaded app which opens the file. I would like to use a different app but I don't get any choice.

Screenshot_20230621-110803_Sound picker.jpg
I want to use this music playing app ( sorry couldn't work out how to fit the whole page in a screenshot )but My Files doesn't show it as an option and setting it as default app is greyed out? I can open any music file from within this app without problem. So how do I get Samsung My Files to use this app? Many thanks for any ideas as to how to solve this,
Screenshot_20230621-111029_Settings.jpg

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You probably need to 'clear' defaults for the app that's currently being used (same App Info Settings screen, Set as default... you'll see a 'Clear defaults' button). Another option, albeit temporary, is to long-press the file and select OPEN WITH from the menu.

Reactions: BerryBubbles

Ignorantbliss

Jun 21, 2023
Visit site
Unfortunately it's not possible to make any adjustments to the app which currently plays music files beyond play and pause, it's not the sort of app which has a name it's just the software which reads music files when no downloadable apps are available, look at the screen shot I posted to see what I mean.
Long pressing the file shows no options other than delete and share, but thanks for trying.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings>Apps, tap the 3-dot menu button at the upper right, then Reset App Preferences. Now try playing the music file again, and see if it prompts you to select an app to play it.

Ignorantbliss

Jun 21, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion but that didn't work. I did have other music playing apps like amazon music downloaded and these other apps did appear as options to play a file when I short pressed it in My Files so I deleted them in the hope that my favoured app would show as an option but that didn't work , for some reason it seems invisible to the Samsung My files app.
Think I'll have contact the app developer about this.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If the app doesn't show there, yes, the app developer needs to implement that into their code so that it 'registers' as an app that can handle that type of file (otherwise you wouldn't even be able to set it as default).

Reactions: B. Diddy