How to switch qwerty keyboard to azerty?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi everyone - first post here.. I just switched from iOS to Android and am liking my decision so far, however, I am having a couple of issues with it so far. I live in Belgium, where the keyboard is azerty (which I have, in Dutch language). I have the Samsung S9+ and am running the latest version of OREO, the phone is unlocked.

I added German and English, as I am often switching between those languages.. Their keyboard, is set to qwerty, which is really annoying. I did find a setting to change keyboard layout, but that is only the 4*3 or qwerty, or another one, but no listing for the azerty keyboard.

I have searched a lot of posts, but can't seem to find out where I can change this thing.. Hopefully someone here can help me? On iOS, it was easy to change over the keyboard layout to azerty..

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Which keyboard are you using?

Using GBoard on my Pixel 2 XL, I can long-press on the spacebar, tap Language Settings on the pop-up, select the existing keyboard and then select the desired layout on the resulting page (AZERTY is one, on the English keyboard anyway).

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

DrBobke

May 9, 2018
Visit site
Hi Hallux, thanks a lot for your quick reply, I just joined the site now.. I am using the Samsung kayboard (sorry, didn't realize that there were multiple options to choose from.. :)

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Welcome.

Are you averse to trying another keyboard? I don't see the options on the Samsung keyboard (I also have a Tab S3) that the GBoard has. GBoard is Google's keyboard, I'm quite liking it after being a Swype fan for years (Swype is no longer being developed).

Yes, this is one of the items in the "pro Android" column comparing Android to iOS, just search "keyboard" in the Play Store and you'll get LOTS of options.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm using it, liking it but I can't draw a comparison to the Samsung keyboard.

Here's the app link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.inputmethod.latin If you visit that link in a browser window where you're signed in with your Google account, click the install button and select the device to install it to, it will push to your phone. Then you'll need to select it for your input method. I'm on a conference call at work but I can get you screenshots later if you need them.

DrBobke

May 9, 2018
Visit site
Thank you! That worked! Awesome! I just liked the Samsung keyboard, as it also had often used signs (, . etc) and numbers at the top. I assume I should find another keyboard that would be capable of doing that too? Thanks again!

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Depending on the context I do see the number row. I have symbols sitting on my qwerty version on my Pixel 2XL.
e8c4f9acdae18db9cd88a5e35ee38706.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abventz