How to switch to external WiFi adapter for increased signal reception

Hash_Bug

Jan 8, 2023
Visit site
I have been trying to research this for a while and keep finding answers that tell me how I would need a kernel that supports drivers for my external wifi adapter and so on. I now have the kernel with the supported drivers installed and checked, and it does support my external wifi adapter. My phone is rooted as well. I have come across several posts mentioning how to use the adapter in monitor mode etc, but my aim is to use it in Android like a regular primary adapter to increase reception and use regular apps with it(as my internal adapter has very crappy reception). Any help or ideas would be very welcomed.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I haven't heard of anything like that being used on Android. The typical fix for weak Wi-Fi is to get something like a mesh router system and use a satellite node to increase reception where needed. I know it can be a more expensive option, but I just upgraded to a Deco brand mesh router and it has a number of extra features on top of the mesh tech that makes it better than the standard router it replaced.

Hash_Bug

Jan 8, 2023
Visit site
I haven't heard of anything like that being used on Android. The typical fix for weak Wi-Fi is to get something like a mesh router system and use a satellite node to increase reception where needed. I know it can be a more expensive option, but I just upgraded to a Deco brand mesh router and it has a number of extra features on top of the mesh tech that makes it better than the standard router it replaced.

Hi! Thanks for the reply. There are indeed ways to use external WiFi adapter on Android, although they require a modified kernel, which I happen to have. The only issue is that I need the set of commands to put the external adapter into use, and can't find them anywhere.

Also much thanks for telling about the mesh router system! I would look it up, but considering I live in a dorm, most setups are not possible unfortunately. Regardless, I am trying to get the approval for a WiFi repeater of any sorts installed when possible.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
XDA developers would be your only hope other than the person who wrote the kernel.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Hash_Bug

Jan 8, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for the reply! I am already looking for the person who compiled the kernel, and would hopefully find them soon!