How to transfer data from phone memory to SD card?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi.

I have lots of pictures albums in the Gallery. The phone memory 32gb got very low so I have now installed an SD card 128gb.

Now I want to shift all those albums to the SD card. How can I do that?

Secondly, in the phone storage settings I have changed the 'default storage' from internal memory to SD card. So are all newly created albums and downloaded pics now going automatically to the SD card?

Thirdly, how can I see the location of a data, that is if it's on the internal memory or SD card?

Thanks a lot for help.
Amer

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Now I want to shift all those albums to the SD card. How can I do that?
Using a PC, copy the DCIM folder from the original card. Then copy it to the new card.

Secondly, in the phone storage settings I have changed the 'default storage' from internal memory to SD card. So are all newly created albums and downloaded pics now going automatically to the SD card?
No, most phones won't do that. The camera app can be set to use the SD card (in some camera apps), but the phone downloads to internal storage.

Thirdly, how can I see the location of a data, that is if it's on the internal memory or SD card?
That's where it is, formally called /storage/emulated/0, informally named sdcard. (The external card is /storage/emulated/1, called extSDcard.)

Pictures you see in Gallery can be anywhere (Media Scan scans the entire phone for media-related files when you turn the phone on or restart it, and finds all pictures, videos, music, etc.), the "album" is the last folder name, so if a picture is in /DCIM/Camera/Holidays/2018/Christmas, it's going to be in an "album" named Christmas. If you did the same thing the year before, you can have 2 albums named Christmas, with different pictures in them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seroo