How to Voodoo ***Updated 27 Mar 2011***KERNEL BUILT FROM SOURCE/SOUND/UNDERVOLTED

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
As far as "going voodoo" is concerned i actually had more questions about non-voodoo when i first started and didnt even know voodoo existed. But thanks to the help of Landshark, droidxcon and others i was up and running in a couple of hours. It was only a week later i went voodoo and i think i had 1 or 2 questions which were nicely answered. All in all its not that "hard" but like Landshark says if your not familiar with CWM or Odin at the least then stay away for now....but none the less i still dont mind helping people along like they helped me.

And you're supposed to have more questions rooting for the first time and going nonvoodoo. It's a learning process. You don't learn how to ride a motorcycle one day, then try riding a wheelie or jumping cars the very next day. It's all a process. You build on what you learned previously and expand your knowledge so when you take the next step you are better prepared and able to work through problems on your own, and will probably feel better for doing that.

Reactions: briguyy

Heath276

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
And just for everyone's clarification, GETTING to voodoo is not the problem. It's just like rooting. Follow the instructions exactly as they are laid out and no problem, easy as can be. Where you are likely to get into trouble is once you are on voodoo and flash the wrong thing. You are likely not going to come back to the instructions every time you want to do something in voodoo. So you don't have the warnings right in front of you. You forget you are on voodoo, flash something nonvoodoo, now you are in a world of hurt. That's why I recommend new rooters gain some experience in nonvoodoo. Learn how to flash everything possible. Learn how to get out of and avoid mistakes. Because those same mistakes in voodoo will have more damaging consequences. So yes, there's been a mad rush of new people going to voodoo, and yes, quite a few have come back to rub it in my face asking why did I discourage them from going to voodoo, it was so "easy." Well it's also real easy to goof up in voodoo.

Yep I got really good at flashing and went Voodoo and was going good but then wasn't thinking and flash a novoodoo and that sucked bad but these guys got me back in minutes

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

jwebste9

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Im already running latest version of SC voodoo, so can i just flash? Read someon on XDA commented saying i you still had to disable voodoo first

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Im already running latest version of SC voodoo, so can i just flash? Read someon on XDA commented saying i you still had to disable voodoo first

hmmm, thats just the case when going from voodoo to non-voodoo... where did you see this at on XDA? Do you have a link to the thread?

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Haha bet you that time sharky

This is actually good you guys got this covered. I'm working with GizmoDroid over at XDA testing his process to hopefully give us all back the ability to restore nandroid backups.

Heath276

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
This is actually good you guys got this covered. I'm working with GizmoDroid over at XDA testing his process to hopefully give us all back the ability to restore nandroid backups.

Sweet that will be nice to have working.

esrakes24

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
ok i am following steps but what i need to know is i have 2.9.2 right now and i used odin. can ijust follow mikes steps to flash voodoo superfrankenclean 2.9.2 over droidxcon's odin package?

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
ok i am following steps but what i need to know is i have 2.9.2 right now and i used odin. can ijust follow mikes steps to flash voodoo superfrankenclean 2.9.2 over droidxcon's odin package?

Yes..... but, you know it has to be done through CWM, right? Not odin

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site

If you're talking about the new kernel, just flash it VIA cwm, it won't affect your rom pretty much at all.

briguyy

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
yes i just didnt know if i could do it over the odin package i already have. but thank you for the answer and sorry for all the question just have make sure im understanding this. lol
Yes just use CWM to flash it over the Odin package that you already have and everything will be fine.

Sheepdog Elite

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
yes i just didnt know if i could do it over the odin package i already have. but thank you for the answer and sorry for all the question just have make sure im understanding this. lol

Well I'll toss some info your way since you seem interested.

DXC's odin packages include 2 components
1. The rom (superclean 2.x depending on what you install)
2. A kernel (either EB01, EB16, EC10, etc.)

The package install two separate components that can be replaced individually. As long as they're compatible it's flash and forget. (Don't forget cache wipes for updated roms, and data wipes for entirely new roms). Same goes for a modem via odin.

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Sweet that will be nice to have working.

lol. i dont even bother with nandroids. if i screw something up i will just flash something new.

on another note. only slightly improved battery performance. this isnt the fault of jt or the kernel. i think it has more to do with the rom than anything else. adrynalyne did an awsome job, but you can make a pile of poo look like a chocalote pie, but if you take a bite, its gonna taste like poo. when adrynalyne drops a rom he built from source(practicly biting my nails off in antisipation) most of the current bugs we have including the battery issues should be fixed.

JOrtenzi

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

no problem! It is a learning process.... and I know a lot of use a really trying to get past the learning curve as quick as possible because we see all this REALLY cool stuff coming out. But as LandShark said... just because getting voodoo is easy, having it and being able to get yourself out of a jam isn't as easy.

I hope you enjoy using voodoo, I know I am, but put a little "study time" in and get familiar with all the terms and processes.

Read Sheepdog Elite's tutorial... it is great! I littley spent a good two weeks reading it over and over before I decided to root my phone....

http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...ers-rooting-read-me-3-17-11-a.html#post559286

Or just click the link in his signature (a few posts above this one)

Last edited:

gunnermike53

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site

papa54

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
sign in

I dont know whats happening but i can post but cant see the files unless i register.. i tried that route and it says the user name is already registered..
hmmmmm .i sent a note to the admins but figured what the heck if i can post anywhere maybe they can see or hear about it sooner..thx to all for the interuption in the thread.. Papa54

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sherrymae34