[How-To]Windows -- root your HTC Evo and install Clockwork recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

pegruder

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
My phone seems rooted, but by Build Number is showing as 1.17.651.1 CLI160858 test-keys

Not sure where this went wrong as everything else seems ok?

I think I realize the error of my ways - because i forgot the backup step in part 3 - I had nothing to reload from, so I think im missing that. Ill have to restart this process later tonight since I have to go to work now.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
OK, I should be fully rooted at this point. Is there any easy way to validate I have root access?

I also installed Titanium Backup and it says Root Access => Failed

This has me concerned, although it does mention I need BusyBox installed. Does the 1.3.2 Custom ROM include BusyBox?

1.3.2 includes titanium? Wasn't listed as installed. I had to manually install it. How do I verify that I infact have 1.3.2 installed?

RvU has busybox and titanium installed. Not seeing titanium backup is because you didn't wipe your dalvik cache. No worries, wasn't a real priority for this and to fix it all you have to do is reinstall titanium from the market. Once you have things all set up and use ROM Manager to update, say yes when it asks if you want to clear the cache.

To verify root, download a terminal emulator from the market. Any will work, I like connectbot. At the prompt enter :
Code:
su
one of three things will happen
Superuser permissions app will ask you to authorize (say yes)
"Command not found"
prompt will change from standard user ($) to superuser (#)

I'm new here - bit of a noob question - But if i accidentally skipped the step of installed clockwork recovery in part 3 and making a backup - but everything else seems fine is this bad? It said make a backup, this is like gold...lol. Was this a crucial step?

My phone seems rooted, but by Build Number is showing as 1.17.651.1 CLI160858 test-keys

Not sure where this went wrong as everything else seems ok?

I think I realize the error of my ways - because i forgot the backup step in part 3 - I had nothing to reload from, so I think im missing that. Ill have to restart this process later tonight since I have to go to work now.
At this point, things are wiped and no need to back up. Load the ROM of your choice, set it up and then be sure to backup!

amc_oldsarge

Jun 15, 2010
www.laughbaum.com
gbhil, thanks again for your help.

I installed the connectbot bot app, attached to local, and was able to SU in fine.

I was still having issues with Titanium giving me the error with lack of access. So I reapplied the 1.3.2 Rom in the recovery console. Cleared the cache. But when I look at all apps, I still don't have titanium listed. Do I need to install the renamed PC35Img.zip after re-applying 1.3.2.

Thanks.

KL

pegruder

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Pegruder, which ROM are you going to apply? If 1.3.2, please report back if you have the titanium backup utility installed after the reboot.

Thanks

Im going to install the 1.3.2 ROM. Ill let you know how it goes - its running now. If this dont work Ill start the whole process over I guess.

pegruder

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok - so heres the deal, I don't have Titanium backup installed - but I have the proper build # of RvU 1.3.2. - didn't have that before. Dev tools is now gone, which I had before. Also I had 3 WiMAX tools, (Settings, Router, and something else) which are now gone. Some sprint Bloatware is also gone too - which I certainly don't miss.... Is this normal - or am I still missing certain things?

Also - the SU permission app is now back...it went missing in one of the steps...

Last edited:

ichibanrei

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Odd issue, so I had just tried following the instructions up to part 3. I had the issue where the sprint 4G intro was looping so I did a data wipe. Once it restarted I noticed that the sprint 4G intro was silent. Everything appears to be updated and I have RvU 1.3.2 installed (it says so on my software information build number) but I have no sound at all. Not through headphones, not through anything.
I'll try a wipe again, or maybe go back to stock and start over. I just wanted to report this odd issue.

Just got a call. I can't hear them at all.
I tried wiping cache, davlik and back to factory. No luck.

Last edited:

amc_oldsarge

Jun 15, 2010
www.laughbaum.com
Ok - so heres the deal, I don't have Titanium backup installed - but I have the proper build # of RvU 1.3.2. - didn't have that before. Dev tools is now gone, which I had before. Also I had 3 WiMAX tools, (Settings, Router, and something else) which are now gone. Some sprint Bloatware is also gone too - which I certainly don't miss.... Is this normal - or am I still missing certain things?

I check my Build Number, RvU 1.3.2. Like you, I don't have Titanium, Dev tools (I did before) and the WiMAX Tools (I did before) I feel a little better, knowing I'm not in this boat alone, of course at your expense.......

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
in the bootloader after running the pc36img.zip and it loads i get "Main version is older! Update Fail! Do you want to reboot device?

anyone else?

it looks like it is because i cannot complete the first part of step 4:

Code:
cat sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image

that returns

Code:
sdcard/flash_image: No such file or directory

i checked over at XDA and they say it's because i am not mounted properly, but i also can't use

Code:
adb push

to move it over.

i have tried even downloading it with my phone and moving the files around using root explorer and i still can't get it. with my phone connected to my PC i can see the files sitting on my sdcard, but i can't get the commands to work.

Last edited:

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
UTNick, Instead of choosing Disk, choose Sync or charge, then run adb. See if that helps.

It is set to charge only. And I always wondered why it would still read as a drive.

I have also downloaded with the phone and extracted it to the card with the same results.

pegruder

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
So I went back to stock and then re-rooted. Still didn't have titanium installed by default - but everything works fine now. I just cant reinstall the friend stream widget for some reason. I try and add it back from the system apps zip - however it doesnt show. I tried performing the install, still doesn't work. Any ideas?

Saepak

May 9, 2010
Visit site
in the bootloader after running the pc36img.zip and it loads i get "Main version is older! Update Fail! Do you want to reboot device?

anyone else?

it looks like it is because i cannot complete the first part of step 4:

Code:
cat sdcard/flash_image > /data/flash_image

that returns

Code:
sdcard/flash_image: No such file or directory

i checked over at XDA and they say it's because i am not mounted properly, but i also can't use

Code:
adb push

to move it over.

i have tried even downloading it with my phone and moving the files around using root explorer and i still can't get it. with my phone connected to my PC i can see the files sitting on my sdcard, but i can't get the commands to work.

UTnick - I have finially had the time to do this process and low and behold mine is doing the same thing. I figured oh it must be seeing that I already have the flash_image file on the system because I had to basically do this process already, so I said okay, well I will just cat the mtd-eng.img file over and then flash that baby. it worked, but when I then try and bootload the pc36img.zip. I am going to try and delete the flash image file and see what that does if I then try and copy it over to my system. i may break my EVO yet. here is to the test.:cool:

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
UTnick - I have finially had the time to do this process and low and behold mine is doing the same thing. I figured oh it must be seeing that I already have the flash_image file on the system because I had to basically do this process already, so I said okay, well I will just cat the mtd-eng.img file over and then flash that baby. it worked, but when I then try and bootload the pc36img.zip. I am going to try and delete the flash image file and see what that does if I then try and copy it over to my system. i may break my EVO yet. here is to the test.:cool:

Well at least I am in good company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wacky23