How would you rate Kitkat out of 10?

gregs1213

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
It's kind of hard for me to judge if it's faster, since I've only used it on a Nexus 5 and the hardware is far superior than my last phone. Overall, I like the look of it and the immersive mode and Google listening at your home-screen. The new dialer is also a bonus.

However, it didn't seem to add that many features, and some things are much more cumbersome, like adding widgets. I have a ton of them.. I don't want to manually scroll over 10 pages to get to them.. Thinking about using Nova Launcher again, but I like the Google Now page when you scroll to the left. I just really wish stock launcher had SOME options.

6/10

rawr66

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Just updated on my moto g and not liking it at all. I'd give it a 4/10. The problems I have is the transparent notification bar; it says its transparent, but it's actually a gradient that darkens the screen. When you touch it, it turns black. Not really sure of the reason for it. The other problem is battery life. With jellybean I could manage 5-7 on screen time, now it's maybe 4 or 5. I also have a problem with touch responsiveness. There's also a lag jump on android browser which is annoying. I need jellybean back.

Jdalton1111

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Okay, I'm on day 2 of kit kat. Battery life getting better but still not as good as jelly bean. I am going through all my apps and settings to find a few things that have been changed (blue tooth turned off, navigation app missing, etc....). I switched to ART and not noticing any difference. I'm running Smart Launcher Pro so the only difference I see is the notification bar.
I feel like kit kat will get better with updates more so than any other so far, but I remember the ICS update really wowed me more than the others.... Imo

Jdalton1111

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Let's be honest here, kit kat is an update so it is the best out there once all the bugs are worked out. You can say its not the biggest jump, but it is the best technology we have!
What we have to figure out is that kitkat is about "tap & pay"... it is about to change the world as we know it!!! I just started and I advise others to check it out as well. Great way to send people money, budget yourself with my wallet, and monitor your kids spending with Google card.

Last edited:

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Obviously I?m speaking from my own experience and preferences but having recently moved from JB 4.3 I really do not like this update at all.

Performance wise I can tell no difference, a number of my favourite and most useful apps are now broken, the status bar with white is an eyesore, I?m having a fruitless search for a dialler that I like as I hate the KK one, I cannot now manually switch between 2G and 3G mode (this relates to the o2 network which also includes giffgaff and Tesco here in the UK), and I could go on but these are the immediate negatives which spring to mind (thankfully I use Nova Prime so things might even be worse)

So for my own personal use this update is a major step backwards so I cannot even give it zero.

hafridi

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
The fact that Kit Kat can run on anything with the minimum memory of 512mb, I think is the most astonishing thing. I gave it a 10 because of the enhancements and memory usage. On the Note 2 honestly, it is the fastest thing possible.

Jdalton1111

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I just noticed last night that kitkat solved the annoying loud charging sound my phone makes after putting my phone on the wireless charger during sleep mode. Now it's silent during sleep mode! :)

Posted via Android Central App

Gracticus

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
I currently have used KitKat on the Nexus 4, Nexus 5, and both generations of the Nexus 7. KitKat is a great step forward and I love it.

Nexus 4 - 8/10
I give credit to Google for not changing the launcher and giving the unsuspecting user a jolting surprise. Now I don't understand why no official option has been given to enable the new launcher. The Nexus 4 is entirely capable of running it so why couldn't there be an app I install or a switch a flip to give me the best KitKat has to offer. On top of that the default launcher doesn't support transparent notification and location bars. The net result is you don't even notice you updated.

Nexus 7s - 9/10
KitKat runs great on both generations of the Nexus 7, but again the launcher fails to take advantage of KitKat features that these tablets are completely capable of using.

Nexus 5 - 9.5/10
KitKat on the Nexus 5 is the most beautiful Android experience I have had in three years of Android use. Everything happens immediately. Lag is gone. It is stable. After my initial setup of the phone its first reboot came over three weeks later when I installed the 4.4.1 update, and even today it runs rock solid. The camera app is in need of update and not quite as stellar as they lead you to believe, although it is good enough.

KitKat Overall - 9/10
It has a lot of great improvements but it doesn't solve many issues. The number one issue in my mind is the app switcher. On the Nexus 5 the app switcher is almost instant. I can literally tap the button then tap the app all in under a second. On the rest of my devices, including the second generation Nexus 7, there is a very noticeable delay. If you're going to say this will run on low end devices then make sure it runs perfectly on any current top end hardware.

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
If you switch from Dalvik to ART runtime, the app switcher responds much faster on Nexus 7 (2013).

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Gracticus

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tip physioprof. Hadn't thought to enable it especially since the difference between Dalvik and ART on the N5 was essentially zero.

Sent from my Nexus 5

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I currently have used KitKat on the Nexus 4, Nexus 5, and both generations of the Nexus 7. KitKat is a great step forward and I love it.

Nexus 4 - 8/10
I give credit to Google for not changing the launcher and giving the unsuspecting user a jolting surprise. Now I don't understand why no official option has been given to enable the new launcher. The Nexus 4 is entirely capable of running it so why couldn't there be an app I install or a switch a flip to give me the best KitKat has to offer. On top of that the default launcher doesn't support transparent notification and location bars. The net result is you don't even notice you updated.

Nexus 7s - 9/10
KitKat runs great on both generations of the Nexus 7, but again the launcher fails to take advantage of KitKat features that these tablets are completely capable of using.

Nexus 5 - 9.5/10
KitKat on the Nexus 5 is the most beautiful Android experience I have had in three years of Android use. Everything happens immediately. Lag is gone. It is stable. After my initial setup of the phone its first reboot came over three weeks later when I installed the 4.4.1 update, and even today it runs rock solid. The camera app is in need of update and not quite as stellar as they lead you to believe, although it is good enough.

KitKat Overall - 9/10
It has a lot of great improvements but it doesn't solve many issues. The number one issue in my mind is the app switcher. On the Nexus 5 the app switcher is almost instant. I can literally tap the button then tap the app all in under a second. On the rest of my devices, including the second generation Nexus 7, there is a very noticeable delay. If you're going to say this will run on low end devices then make sure it runs perfectly on any current top end hardware.

I think your rating scale is way off you give it a 9 but then say it still doesn't solve many issues

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X

daryl_t

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Obviously I?m speaking from my own experience and preferences but having recently moved from JB 4.3 I really do not like this update at all.

Performance wise I can tell no difference, a number of my favourite and most useful apps are now broken, the status bar with white is an eyesore, I?m having a fruitless search for a dialler that I like as I hate the KK one, I cannot now manually switch between 2G and 3G mode (this relates to the o2 network which also includes giffgaff and Tesco here in the UK), and I could go on but these are the immediate negatives which spring to mind (thankfully I use Nova Prime so things might even be worse)

So for my own personal use this update is a major step backwards so I cannot even give it zero.

Since the KitKat update I have been having nothing but problems on my motoG :(

I am on GiffGaff (O2) and cannot select 2g any more [which is useful to have for areas with poor 3G signal], also the phantom air plane mode that it keeps switching into without warning, and when on WiFi selecting the "About Phone" and "System Update" just says that there is no network connection when there is, but when you try on the mobile network it does connect and check [not useful].

I loved Jelly Bean, hate KitKat!!!

I don't beleive that they properly beta tested KitKat and rushed the release, hence the 4.4 version number and it not being v5.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
To be honest in MY personal opinion I give 8.5 out of 10 due to (before 4.4.2) crashing in landscape mode and scrolling through app drawer in reality I should give it a 7 out of 10 but I give it 8 because its way better than the iOS 7 launch

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 or iPhone 5

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilliejoylene