How's the GPS?

rpfarrah

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to say howdy. My sister-in-law bought this phone just yesterday and hasn't had a chance to put it though its paces yet. I was wondering whether those of you with this new phone have checked out the GPS.

Other Galaxy S phones have had some... issues. I was hoping that USCC checked it all out and got it working before release, since it is the last Galaxy S phone to come out.

Any feedback?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Am working on posting a quick hands on video, and part of it shows the Mesmerize locking on to cell triangulation instantly, and fine GPS location in about 10-15 seconds.

In my basement!

Will have the hands on up on the front page just as fast as YouTube lets me :p

stedyone

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to say howdy. My sister-in-law bought this phone just yesterday and hasn't had a chance to put it though its paces yet. I was wondering whether those of you with this new phone have checked out the GPS.

Other Galaxy S phones have had some... issues. I was hoping that USCC checked it all out and got it working before release, since it is the last Galaxy S phone to come out.

Any feedback?

Here is my GPS feedback since previously owning a refurbished Samsung Captivate on the ATT network. Not only did I not have 3G in my area, the GPS was crap! That phone was returned and I went to my local US Cell store and came home with a Mesmerize. This phone is on blazing fast 3G and the GPS STAYS locked with 6-10 ft accuracy in my basement!! Worlds difference!

Reactions: Garth555

celticmoon

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I had the at&t Captivate for a week. Utterly useless GPS. Would not lock, even after several hours! Tried every tweak out there, then gave up.

I've had a Mesmerize for 3 weeks. It gets a lock with a couple satelites in 2-3 seconds, and after 10-15 seconds has my location pinpointed to 5-15 feet.

No comparison!!! Whatever the bug was in the earlier Galaxys, it isn't a problem with the Mesmerize.

laney12186

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
How does your GPS work with other apps? I've tried to use foursquare several times and it's never able to lock onto my location. I can use the GPS in maps just fine with no problems so do you think it's just the app?

LaTuFu#AC

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
My GPS only seems to like working with Google Maps and Nav. And that's only after leaving it on the dash or under open sky for 3-5 minutes to acquire satellite.

It used to work great. The EC10 and EE19 updates have turned this phone into a flaming pile of poo. I'm tempted to go the custom ROM route, just to get a decent radio signal, much less a stable GPS signal.

AlterPostal

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I really wish I didn't have update it to the EE19 [last USCC update] and stayed on the EC10 [first update to 2.2.1]. My phone was completely fine and having NONE of the problems that I never heard until the announcement of the EE19 update.

Now the problems are the GPS and compass. Mostly the compass; it sticks to north and just twitches, I have downloaded "Compass" which it gives access to calibrate it and it works sometimes, but almost every single time that you re-open Maps or any other app using it, its back to zero.

The GPS is sometimes not locking after a while of the phone being on, I've noticed that after a reboot of the phone [which I do every morning before disconnecting from charger] it works fine, but then throughout the day it takes longer and longer to lock until it just doesn't.

This makes me think of the GSM versions of this phones.:(

Anyone having same problem(s)??

Oh by the way, I've tried 4 times now [after rebooting each time] to root with Z4root [from the thread] and is NOT working, maybe this last update fixed the exploit??

TimH

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I really wish I didn't have update it to the EE19 [last USCC update] and stayed on the EC10 [first update to 2.2.1]. My phone was completely fine and having NONE of the problems that I never heard until the announcement of the EE19 update.

Now the problems are the GPS and compass. Mostly the compass; it sticks to north and just twitches, I have downloaded "Compass" which it gives access to calibrate it and it works sometimes, but almost every single time that you re-open Maps or any other app using it, its back to zero.

The GPS is sometimes not locking after a while of the phone being on, I've noticed that after a reboot of the phone [which I do every morning before disconnecting from charger] it works fine, but then throughout the day it takes longer and longer to lock until it just doesn't.

This makes me think of the GSM versions of this phones.:(

Anyone having same problem(s)??

Oh by the way, I've tried 4 times now [after rebooting each time] to root with Z4root [from the thread] and is NOT working, maybe this last update fixed the exploit??
I think you need to root with superoneclick on the mesmerize. Mine has no problems with the gps, it works great. there is a post on team uscellular about a fix for gps.
Team US Cellular • View topic - [ROM][V6/22/11] Heinz 57 for Mesmerize and Showcase
look at scarmon25 last post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d