HP Slate 17 won't upgrade from Android 4.4.4

Golfer4588

Sep 26, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I purchased an HP Slate 17 for my parents. Everything was ok until I tried to install the Sky Sports app for them only to be told that it is not compatible with this device. I spoke to HP and they said that because the tablet has been discontinued, it is not possible to update Android past 4.4.4 and that I needed to speak to Android. Android told me that I had to speak to HP so I got absolutely nowhere. Sky told me that I need a minimum of lollipop 5.0 to use the app.
If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be extremely grateful.

Richard

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
TBH that is a 5 year old tablet and from what I have read things like Google Play don't work on it, either. There was no upgrade beyond 4.4.4. There may be custom ROMS out there but Sky doesn't work on a rooted device.
If you can, try and return the device for something more recent.

Golfer4588

Sep 26, 2019
Visit site
I have just spoken to hp again and the guy on the phone said the only think he could think of is to download 5.0 via an apk link he gave me but if it doesn't work he said I can't go back to what I have now so the tablet will be scrap.
Is there definitely no way I could go back if it doesn't work?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
download 5.0 via an apk link he gave me

Android OS doesn't update via APK, APK is for apps. The site I usually look at for specs also indicates what OS versions a device upgraded to, that device is showing no OS updates - https://www.gsmarena.com/hp_slate_17-7030.php To be fair, it's also saying it only ran on 4.4.2.

Looking at a couple threads on HP's own support forums it seems that device was doomed to stay at 4.4.4 from the get-go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Captain Fluellen