HTC M9 Review from Tweakers.net...man this thing overheats

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Good article, but at this point, I'd take every article with a grain of salt until more reviews start coming out. Evef is the chip does become "hotter than usual", if this is true with the HTC M9, I can still see this being a safety hazard for many situations if its "too hot to hold". Even if we techies understand the process, the majority of average users who don't understand will see this problem as a negative thing and will likely affect sales. I just hope its not true that the phone gets too hot to hold.

There in lies the problem. Based on what I've been reading in the comments section and even those who start the topics, I'd bet that 95% of them have absolutely NO CLUE of what they speak of. Then for them to try and educate the average user with their ignorance is how misinformation is spread and established as being a fact.

There is a difference between expressing an opinion and arguing against facts with nothing to back them up. In this case you have someone who went into extremely granular detail, gave a structured and concise list of facts, and provided a clear demonstration of very good deductive reasoning skills. Yet, people will easily dismiss this article that debunked all the baseless headlines but cling on to other FUD that looks as if it were written for sensationalism. How convenient.

Posted via the Android Central App

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
There in lies the problem. Based on what I've been reading in the comments section and even those who start the topics, I'd bet that 95% of them have absolutely NO CLUE of what they speak of. Then for them to try and educate the average user with their ignorance is how misinformation is spread and established as being a fact.

There is a difference between expressing an opinion and arguing against facts with nothing to back them up. In this case you have someone who went into extremely granular detail, gave a structured and concise list of facts, and provided a clear demonstration of very good deductive reasoning skills. Yet, people will easily dismiss this article that debunked all the baseless headlines but cling on to other FUD that looks as if it were written for sensationalism. How convenient.

Yeah I see what you mean. I think it's people bias towards one manufacturer that may also have an affect. Techies may understand it, but will still try and find a way to falsify or degrade the article because they do not want to give HTC (or any manufacture) an excuse for their problems. It's something that can't be avoided, and probably a human nature thing.

Adam_ation

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
The phone is far too hot for anyone hands apparently.

Someone decided to write a 40 page thesis on why the chip isn't the problem. Okay. I'm just saying in recent years HTC hasn't delayed the launch of the flagship but this year some problems arise for the company close to launch. Hmmmm, that's odd.

This whole overheating FUD has been going on since early December, even if it were true do you really think HTC would leave it right until the last moment to come up with a fix? you clearly havn't read the document. To think the delay is linked directly with "heat problems" is just ludicrous - Adam

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

^|^Exactly this! People just like to talk.
(---)
That's fine. I get entertainment from all this. I'll enjoy my M9 while everyone else enjoys whatever one they choose to buy.

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I can get my M7 and M8 to show its over heating by changing these lines in the ACC to true. When they get just a little warm

<item type="boolean" name="support_battery_overheat_notify">false</item>
<item type="boolean" name="support_cpu_overheat_notify">false</item>

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Even if the over heating issue is being over blown, the pictures I have seen from many sites are just bad. Their old 4MP UP camera was better. Heck the 2013 Moto x camera is better.
This thing can run at 5 degrees and I still wouldn't buy it because of the camera.
Hopefully they can fix the camera.
My wife would love this phone as long as she doesn't need an oven mit to use it, and the camera gets fixed.

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Even if the over heating issue is being over blown, the pictures I have seen from many sites are just bad. Their old 4MP UP camera was better. Heck the 2013 Moto x camera is better.
This thing can run at 5 degrees and I still wouldn't buy it because of the camera.
Hopefully they can fix the camera.
My wife would love this phone as long as she doesn't need an oven mit to use it, and the camera gets fixed.

Sorry but I think these are pretty good. Better tan the M8.
M9 on left and M8 on right.
HTC One M9、M8兩代旗艦機相機實拍對決! - SOGI 手機王

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
The cause(s) for the need to implement software changes for the M9 (that have delayed the initial launch date time frame in Taiwan) has not been fully disclosed by HTC. Any claims at this point from someone other than the engineering team at HTC, is nothing more than speculation.

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
And you have how many HTC phones sitting in your house? You've purchased how many HTC phones on the actual release date? HTC has NEVER delayed the launch of a phone. Last year when the M8 was announced the phone was made available for order on Sprint and most other carriers that same day. It's abnormal for HTC to delay the launch of a flagship. I own the HTC Touch, EVO 4G, EVO 3D, M7, and M8 so I should know how HTC launches their devices. This dates back to 2008. Thanks, please try again Habib.

Dude, your posts are getting a little ranty and cringey to read.

People are just posting their best possible opinion and putting it up for debate.

If you were moderator you'd probably lock every thread after you've posted.

Take a couple of deep breaths before you post :)

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
And you have how many HTC phones sitting in your house? You've purchased how many HTC phones on the actual release date? HTC has NEVER delayed the launch of a phone. Last year when the M8 was announced the phone was made available for order on Sprint and most other carriers that same day. It's abnormal for HTC to delay the launch of a flagship. I own the HTC Touch, EVO 4G, EVO 3D, M7, and M8 so I should know how HTC launches their devices. This dates back to 2008. Thanks, please try again Habib.

The cause(s) for the need to implement software changes for the M9 (that have delayed the initial launch date time frame in Taiwan) has not been fully disclosed by HTC

I SPECIFICALLY referenced their home market of Taiwan. I SPECIFICALLY referenced the launch date. They have not announced a launch date for any U.S. based carriers (who may all end up having different launch dates in addition to variants) as of the time of this writing. As such if you by chance have overlooked that fact and are referring to US carriers having their launch date delayed, then your statement has no merit since it's not possible to delay a launch date that has not been officially announced as opposed to what they did for the Taiwanese market.

See here

http://focustaiwan.tw/news/ast/201503160007.aspx

Taipei, March 16 (CNA) Taiwanese smartphone maker HTC Corp. (宏達電) has delayed sales of its flagship One M9 device in its home market that was originally scheduled to begin Monday due to software upgrade.

Last edited:

bigrey81

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I am interested In knowing what is you guys stance on this uh oh plan that HTC has put out there? Backing up their product big time to me.

Lady_Evo

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

That highlighted part would be false, HTC did delay the launch of a phone, back when Apple got mad at them for a certain feature, they took them to court right before the launch date and the phone was delayed by a few weeks, it was around the 3D/EVO LTE days...

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
That highlighted part would be false, HTC did delay the launch of a phone, back when Apple got mad at them for a certain feature, they took them to court right before the launch date and the phone was delayed by a few weeks, it was around the 3D/EVO LTE days...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404490,00.asp

The U.S. availability of the HTC One X and HTC EVO 4G LTE has been delayed due to a standard U.S. Customs review of shipments that is required after an ITC exclusion order

Such pwned very burn have many lulz ....wow.

Last edited:

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Why aren't you hanging out in the M8 forum? Buying a phone isn't a life changing experience. Dude, it's a phone.....

It's very annoying when a forum member writes quick charge stresses out the battery and isn't good at all. Yet, the individual has never used a quick charger and you ask them to back it up with their "research" and they say nothing. If a person is doing research on this they should be working for a reputable company and probably wouldnt be posting in this forum. Lack of credibility.

Then you have a certain individual who said no business is being conducted at MWC. Businesses don't attend MWC to try and sale products. Two of the most heinous things I've ever heard. People like to make up stuff in their posts which I will raise the bull crap flag. I do not like for these individuals to misinform others looking to this forum for factual information.

This forum member as you put it does own a couple of quick chargers and sometimes I use it. I have several devices that have quick charge capability. What I said was that in my research ( online articles ) that I have come to the conclusion that quick charge does stress out the battery witch in turn will shorten the life of the battery. It may not be by much ( about 5% ) but it is enough that I choose not to use it that often. The point I was trying to make was on the S6. People are saying that since it has quick charge capabilities that the sealed in and size of the battery won't make any difference because they can quick charge it whenever they need to. The fact that most batteries get about 500 full charges and you are charging twice a day subtract from that about 5% for quick charge IMO the life of the battery in the S6 is not going to last as long as other phones.

If you don't like or agree with my post just move along. It is clear that the M9 is not going to be your next phone so I don't understand why you are spending so much time and energy in the M9 forum when you can go over to the S6 forum and be among those that will tickle your fancy. I am done with you slick, good day.

Posted via Android Central App

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Why is everyone talking about the M9 being delayed.? Its still being tested and today was the first time we heard about a release date

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spacyverse